Forums

Topic: No "New Super Mario Bros game?"

Posts 101 to 120 of 149

Bolt_Strike

That's another example, Tropical Freeze doesn't really do anything new gameplay wise, it's mainly just a level pack. It does have the ice theme to it but doesn't do anything with it gameplay wise, DK doesn't get ice powers or anything, it just relies on more or less the same gameplay we've seen from the DKC trilogy.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

bluemage1989

I really like 2D Mario but the NSMB brand has been over done a bit. I'd like to see a new 2D game and see Nintendo really go all out with the themes and new features make this do or die because NSMB has really put a lot of people off so try and win them back.

bluemage1989

Dezzy

lmalone wrote:

Growing up in the 80's, side scrolling games where/are my life. With all the negative comments, it seems like my generation is dying. I just hope Nintendo keeps us old folks in mind.

I'm pretty sure NSMB on the DS is what started the modern 2D revival isn't it?

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Bolt_Strike

subpopz wrote:

Honestly, I feel this way about 3D Mario. Odyssey just felt mostly like the same old 3D Mario. I mean, I liked it, but it was just more of the same thing. Same jumping techniques, same isolated worlds (many of which felt uninspired), same bop the boss on the head mechanics, same hunt-fest.
2D Mario has gotten a bit stale.......but I think 3D Mario is just as guilty of it too.

Eh, not quite. Definitely not to the degree the 2D games have. The games have retained the same formula and many of the same moves, but they actually do introduce new moves, the level design got larger and more complex, and most importantly, they have game specific mechanics like FLUDD or the gravity mechanics and spin move or Capture that make each game feel like a unique experience. Like I pointed out with Tropical Freeze, you just don't see games like that where you have a mechanic designed around the ice theme or what have you. Hell, in NSMB's case you don't even see themes period. If you don't like the 3D games that's fine, but they objectively just don't compare to the sheer repetition that you see in the 2D games. Not even close.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Salcan

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Eh, not quite. Definitely not to the degree the 2D games have. The games have retained the same formula and many of the same moves, but they actually do introduce new moves, the level design got larger and more complex, and most importantly, they have game specific mechanics like FLUDD or the gravity mechanics and spin move or Capture that make each game feel like a unique experience. Like I pointed out with Tropical Freeze, you just don't see games like that where you have a mechanic designed around the ice theme or what have you. Hell, in NSMB's case you don't even see themes period. If you don't like the 3D games that's fine, but they objectively just don't compare to the sheer repetition that you see in the 2D games. Not even close.

But isn't designing new mechanics just to have a new mechanic the fastest way to make a bad mechanic? Also, coin collecting is a theme, with many different systems put in specifically to fill Mario's pockets quickly.

I think that New Super Mario Brothers and it's friends have one very large advantage over the 3D sandbox Mario games, being consistent in quality. For every 10 brilliant ideas in Super Mario Odyssey, there's a Deep Woods. (Dark areas with no landmarks, no map and lots of walls makes collecting anything frustrating. It still gives me nightmares knowing that there are still a couple of more Power Moons down there.) The New Super Mario Brothers games never do things as annoying as that until the bonus levels, if at all.

Salcan

link3710

@Dezzy Yes and no. During the previous generation 2D platformers were quite common on the GBA. See Drill Dozer, Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, Wario Land 4, the Sonic Advanced series, Crash, Spyro, Banjo, Megaman... But the GameCube didn't have any outside of the wonderful Viewtiful Joe games as far as I can remember. The original NSMB wasn't even the first platformer on the DS, I remember having Sonic Rush before that.

However, NSMB did lead to NSMB Wii which led to a resurgence of 2D platformers on actual Consoles. After that, Donkey Kong Country, Rayman, Wario Land, 2D Sonic (partial 2D in Colors), and more started returning to consoles.

link3710

Dezzy

@link3710

I don't think it's meaningful to compare platforms that did 2D based on technological necessity.
If that's the main cause of it, obviously it's gonna disappear over time!

link3710

@Dezzy My point was that even on the DS, the original NSMB didn't lead to a resurgence since it was never lost. It wasn't until NSMB Wii that the resurgence happened.

link3710

Octane

@Bolt_Strike You asked about unique environments and gameplay elements, what other Donkey Kong game let's you hop around with a cane in an African-themed level overgrown with brambles?

Octane

Dezzy

link3710 wrote:

@Dezzy My point was that even on the DS, the original NSMB didn't lead to a resurgence since it was never lost. It wasn't until NSMB Wii that the resurgence happened.

Possibly true. Although it was probably lost in terms of the big main series having 2D installments.

The indie scene kinda kicked off in 2010 with games like Limbo and Super Meat Boy, which was a year after NSMB Wii. Hard to say if they were inspired by it.

Bolt_Strike

Octane wrote:

@Bolt_Strike You asked about unique environments and gameplay elements, what other Donkey Kong game let's you hop around with a cane in an African-themed level overgrown with brambles?

Those are level gimmicks, not gameplay elements. Level gimmicks don't have the same impact as something like the game mechanics from the 3D Mario games because they're mainly one and done mechanics that don't really stick around long enough to feel like an impactful game mechanic. The game mechanics I mentioned are pervasive throughout the entire game and they have multiple level gimmicks to take advantage of them and flesh them out.

subpopz wrote:

The hat capturing thing was kinda cool, but I have a feeling if that was added to the 2D ones first, it wouldn't be considered the same refreshing or different enough mechanic.

Considering what I just said to Octane about mechanics like that feeling more pervasive, I doubt it. But this is all conjecture anyway, let's actually see a game that does something like this before we pass judgments over whether or not people would think it's not enough.

subpopz wrote:

Things like gravity mechanics were done in 2D games ages ago (maybe not Mario, I don't recall, but Mega Man was doing it on the NES).

Well I've never played Mega Man so I've never seen that, but in general I give something a pass if it's something the IP has never done but came from another IP. I'm fine with Mario Kart 8 treating antigravity as a new mechanic when other games like F-Zero and Sonic Riders Zero Gravity have already done it before, for example.

subpopz wrote:

Even still, Mario64 started 3D Mario as a collectathon and now 20+ years later, 3D Mario is still a collectathon.

I mean what do you expect? That's an inherent part of the formula and people enjoy that aspect. You might as well be asking for a linear platform game to not be linear. As much as I hate what linear platformers have become, I don't want them to remove the linearity, that's a part of its identity.

subpopz wrote:

And I find the 3D gets way more of a pass for introducing small mechanics than 2D does. Maybe just because 2D has been around for longer, so in turn has been doing them for longer.

You're missing my point, I'm saying those mechanics are larger than anything the 2D games have done. Again, the 3D games have these pervasive mechanics that span the entire game and are fleshed out in multiple ways. The 2D games mainly just add in an occasional gimmick that shows up in a few levels but otherwise keeps the gameplay the same.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Bass_X0

I'd like a Super Mario All*Stars game for Switch, reusing the graphics from New Super Mario Bros. U. Each game would be remade in the NSMBU graphics but would keep the original gameplay and mechanics. The games would feature the wide screen stages from NSMB which show about two screens of the original game on one screen, but would still play the same as the original games regardless. You can also have borders showing exactly the same screen as it the original games did. The alternate versions are included just for completeness.

NES/ARCADE/GBC Super Mario Bros.
NES/GBC Super Mario Bros. 2: The Lost Levels
NES/GBA Super Mario Bros. 2 / Super Mario Advance
NES/GBA Super Mario Bros. 3 / Super Mario Advance 4
SNES/GBA Super Mario World / Super Mario Advance 2
GB Super Mario Land
GB Super Mario Land 2
DS New Super Mario Bros.

There are also several NES, GB and a few SNES games to unlock, also with remade NSMBU graphics. These include Wrecking Crew, Balloon Fight, Balloon Kid, Ice Climber, Mario Bros. etc...

Also, all of the Game N Watch games are unlockable. Including the later ones such as Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World and Super Mario Race.

Edited on by Bass_X0

Edgey, Gumshoe, Godot, Sissel, Larry, then Mia, Franziska, Maggie, Kay and Lynne.

I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing happens!

toiletduck

@Bass_X0 that would be nice, but only if the local co-op mode would be included. Of course, this means a lot level redesign would be essential.

Edited on by toiletduck

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

toiletduck

I get that a lot of people are done with NSMB. Then again I also think that a lot of gamers have only played the Wii version or not even a single one. For me personally, it's a game with a lot of replay value. I remember playing the Wii version with friends in co-op mode every now and then. It remained fun. I think a (combined?) re-issue of the Wii and Wii U versions would be great, but a new version with new levels and some new 'gimmicks' (sledgehammer, feather, whatever...) would be even better.

I wouldn't prefer a reboot with different mechanics. The fact that most 2D Mario's play and feel similarly, makes it an accessible franchise. Hopping around with a hat to become your enemy (for example), would go at the expense of accessibility. If I want to play a 2D platformer with different or totally new mechanics, I'll buy a different franchise or a successful indie.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

Member_the_game

It may have already been mentioned (I haven't read through the whole thread) but rather than another "New" super Mario 2D game style I'd love them to do maybe a Galaxy style game but in 2D set in outer space and visiting different planets.

Basically something a little bit different than another visit to the Mushroom Kingdom.

For what it's worth I think New Super Mario Bros U was probably the very best of the "New" 2D games, it perhaps didn't feel like it at the time as it released at a time when we we're flooded with New 2D game, it's only on reflection when you go back & play it now you realise just how good and how well designed the levels & worlds are.

Edited on by Member_the_game

Member_the_game

bluemage1989

The more I think about it the more I want a 2D Mario game. Ironic seeing as a year ago all I wanted was a 3D collectathon Mario.

I'm going to go and fire up NSMB U now

bluemage1989

MrGam3andBu1ld

I would still play the games because the big "N" is one of the few companies in the buisness who still values and makes local multiplayer a thing.
A Re Issue of the "New" Series as a whole wouldn't be bad, still has good replay value. Knowing Nintendo, they might port to switch simply to give to fans who missed out, considering all the other ports. I have no doubt Mario Maker will be ported, or maybe given an improved sequel like splatoon 2

Zelda Enthusiast
Part of the Poltergust Ghost Removal Company
Power Up collector
Majoring in Smash

MrGam3andBu1ld

Most of the companies in the business are running on the model of online multiplayer only and everyone has to have the console AND get the game, which means more money for them, Example, Halo 5

Zelda Enthusiast
Part of the Poltergust Ghost Removal Company
Power Up collector
Majoring in Smash

Haywired

Hopefully not for a while (and even then I think they'd probably drop the "New Super Mario Bros" label). I absolutely loved the first two New Super Mario Bros. games, but I think they probably should have stopped there. The second two (while still great games in their own right) came out too soon and felt so stale and samey, I can barely remember anything about them... They've all just merged into one in my mind (which is something normally reserved for Kirby games). With the huge sales drop-off from the first two to the second two, I think Nintendo knows it needs to be put on ice for a while.

I suppose there is also the question of whether Super Mario Maker has devalued 2D Mario, and while I do think it has perhaps stripped away a little bit of the magic, I don't think it will have a major effect.

Edited on by Haywired

Haywired

shadow-wolf

No one here mentioned Super Mario 3D World? I think it's an evolution of the NSMB series. I know it's regarded as and viewed as a 3D Mario, but honestly, Super Mario 3D World is just a 3D version of the NSMB series. But it does everything amazingly - the levels are genius, are so much fun, challenging in the end game, varied, and excellently support four players. They also do a great job with collectibles. IMHO Super Mario 3D World is far better than any NSMB game, and is on par with Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World. They should port and/or make a sequel to 3D World and let that be the replacement for NSMB.

Edited on by shadow-wolf

shadow-wolf

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.