Forums

Topic: Nintendo’s Flagship 2018 Game?

Posts 61 to 79 of 79

StuTwo

@Octane We'll see.

One of the advantages of being a regular consumer is that whatever we do get is a surprise. I think there's a reasonable chance of something (new) from Platinum on Switch in 2018. In particular I think a sequel to Wonderful 101 or Bayonetta on Switch is possible in a shorter than normal time frame for a few reasons - Wii U level assets and engines still look great on Switch and both games probably had levels or gameplay ideas cut at various stages of development for time reasons.

But that is - of course - pure speculation. It could be that they're chucking everything at their PS4 game for next year and/or their mobile game is also more demanding on resources than you'd expect.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

JasmineDragon

For flagship titles, I expect three things.

1. Smash 5 - a port of 4 won't do. For 2018 they need a genuine new Smash. Nintendo will go all out, with new fighters from Splatoon, ARMS, Animal Crossing and guests from Skyrim, Mario+Rabbids, and other oddities. Motion controls will feature. Alt costumes, new stages and other DLC to come for the rest of the year.

2. Fire Emblem "Prime". I say "Prime" because this will more than just another episode of FE. FE is a big franchise but it's not quite a flagship title. To turn it into one they will expand on the RPG aspects of the series, do a lot more online than ever before, and action it up. FE purists will have the screaming mimis, but the audience will expand.

3. New Retro IP. What's Retro working on? Nobody knows. Anyone who found out was taken out by Nintendo Ninjas. That's because it's a whole new property and Nintendo are betting the farm on it. I would count on it making the most of the Switch's hybrid nature, MC and the paid online service.

These are, of course, total and complete pie in the sky predictions.

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

link3710

Looks back at Octane's assertion from this morning and laughs.

Well almost everyone was right about February being a major Wii U port, but I don't think anyone suggested it would be Bayonetta 2. Still, can check that off of my ever diminishing wanted ports list. I suppose I'll redo my guesses with the new news.

January: Major Eshop only release, dropped immediately after direct (I'm gonna go with Dillon's cause why not?)
February: Bayonetta 1&2
March: Kirby: Star Allies
April: SNES Remix
May: Yoshi
June: Kid Icarus or whatever else Sakurai is up to OR Unannounced Team up with 3rd Party (Following the Hyrule Warriors, TMS, FE Warriors, and M&R lead)
July: Fire Emblem
August: Project Octopath Traveler
September: Low Key Wii U Port (HW Definitive edition, TMS, Pikmin 3, or XCX all stand a chance here, hard to say which at this point in time)
October: Retro's new IP
November: Pokemon 8th Gen OR Animal Crossing
December: Mario Party

And for anyone who's wondering why I'm putting TMS on the short list for ports, the sole reason I think that could happen is to advertise for SMT V's release. Also, I'm betting on the end of the year being when they do a big push for the online, after the kinks have been worked out, so Retro and Mario Party (and of course Pokemon) will have online components.

EDIT: And since SKTTR brought it up, i'm also guessing the west will see DQB1&2 in April, DQXI in August and MHXX in September

Edited on by link3710

link3710

Grumblevolcano

With Bayonetta 1+2 port coming 8 months earlier than predicted, here's my new thought of how 2018 will look:
January - Nothing
February - Bayonetta 1+2 port
March - Kirby Star Allies
April - Smash 4 port
May - Fire Emblem
June - Yoshi
July - Unannounced new game (not a new IP)
August - Super Mario Maker port
September - Retro's game (new IP)
October - XCX port
November - Animal Crossing
December - Nothing

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

@link3710 Looks back at the release date of Bayonetta 3.. Oh wait, it has none, because it isn't a 2018 game.

Octane

Fastballer

FragRed wrote:

@Fastballer Unfortunately I don't think that is doable. 2018 for Nintendo is arguably more important than 2017 was. The first year is a year of hype, the second year is when you have to show that you can continue to deliver on the games and the sales to keep the momentum going.

Yeah perhaps you are right. But I doubt that they can keep producing 10/10 games like this every year. It its quite rare to have games of that quality after all.

Fastballer

StuTwo

Bayonetta 3 is clearly a 2019 game so it’s not their big hitter in 2018 (which was always unlikely but never impossible). It’s definitely red red meat for the fans though. 2019 will be steak after steak after steak for core Nintendo fans.

But 2018 still needs that killer game to close out the year. Since it won’t be from Platinum (@Octane is right that they aren’t big enough to make 3 or 4 big games at once) we know a little more but only what it’s not.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

link3710

@Octane The discussion including Platinum porting Bayo 1&2 or Wonderful 101 though. Also, it was more just funny timing.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

NinoDeCoco

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't every single Nintendo game announced for Switch - besides BotW - been released within a year after its initial reveal? Maybe Nintendo finally understands that we don't like to wait that long for announced games and are making sure that, since last year, every first and second party game gets released within the year? It might be just coincidence of course but it's just something that I noticed.

NinoDeCoco

Grumblevolcano

@NinoDeCoco Depends what you consider "initial reveal", if you count "this game is now in development" as initial reveal then Metroid Prime 4 and Pokemon Switch are evidence against that (they're not coming out by June 2018).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

link3710

@NinoDeCoco Points at Metroid Prime 4 reveal which was explicitly post 2018, and Pokemon which will be a minimum a year and a half, and Pikmin 4 with no release date The majority yes, but not all of them. Besides, the system has barely been revealed for a year.

link3710

MarcelRguez

@link3710 You're correct about the rest, but Pikmin 4 hasn't been revealed yet. Not officially, at least.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

NinoDeCoco

@Grumblevolcano @76link3710 Yeah, it doesn't seem likely that Pokémon will be released in 2018, I'll give you that, but it was never explicitly stated that Metroid Prime 4 won't be released in 2018. Chances are low, I know, but it can still happen I think.
As for what I think what Nintendo's big flagship title of 2018 will be: I think it's going to be a game that hasn't even been announced yet. Just a feeling.

NinoDeCoco

MarcelRguez

@NinoDeCoco Pokémon has a better chance than Prime 4 at being a 2018 title. Pokémon is scheduled for "2018 or later" while Prime is TBD.

MarcelRguez

NinoDeCoco

@MarcelRguez Both are very vague. We'll just have to wait and see. But if I have to follow my gut feelings, I think Metroid Prime 4 will be ready before the next Pokémon.

NinoDeCoco

MarcelRguez

@NinoDeCoco They are, but one is clearly vaguer than the other if they aren't even giving an estimated year of release.

I do think they'll both slip to 2019, though.

MarcelRguez

SKTTR

If Nintendo's going to release 1 game each month, I wonder how you all miss Dragon Quest Builders and Project Octopath Traveler in your lists, since they're translated and/or published by Nintendo.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

link3710

@SKTTR Because I'm stupid, that's why ;p That said, DQB is already out in Japan, so I dunno if it would count towards the 'a title a month' type list.

link3710

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.