Forums

Topic: Nintendo’s Flagship 2018 Game?

Posts 21 to 40 of 79

StuTwo

@FragRed New IPs could be red meat but they could receive a slightly cooler reception so it's a bit of a risk. Even Splatoon had a slightly mixed reception before release. Even at the point of release when it was clear that the game was cool and quietly revolutionary in its play mechanics it had mixed reviews due to a perceived lack of content and misunderstanding of what it actually offered until players actually got hold of it.

The best red meat would probably be a sequel to a well loved but under appreciated game. Because people already know they love it and will eat up every tiny announcement for the game. That doesn't mean such a game will sell millions of copies but it does mean they'll attract a lot of conversation online and dominate the media agenda for weeks (sequels do especially well at this because websites can pad out their schedules with retrospectives on older games in the series).

Smash is amongst the reddest of red meat but it's almost certainly going to be reheated (either that or small compared to the last time we had it) which limits its ability to hold the media in rapture.

Metroid is Prime red meat x4 (which is why they've let us know it's on the menu) but it's probably not going to make 2018.

F-Zero would be red meat I suppose. A Kid Icarus Uprising sequel would be red meat in the same vein as Pikmin - for the connoisseurs but a cut many would be put off because they see the name on the menu and think it's a fancy foreign recipe that they might not like. Star Fox is plainer and easier to explain red meat but no-one really wants to bite into it until they've had the chance to cut it and check it's not raw.

Now Bayonetta 3 or Wonderful 102 from Platinum - those are definitely red meat and if you pair one of those with something lighter but high profile (like Animal Crossing or Wii Sports Switch) and a less expected side of big new IP (presumably from Retro) and that's a fairly exciting main course for September/October that Nintendo could offer up going into the 2018 holiday season.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

nikoamii

All I know is Kirby Yoshi and Pikmin are all great but we need one massive title for 2018 after the amazing 2017 we had and that game will probably/should be: Smash, Animal Crossing, or Pokemon

nikoamii

Octane

It could be a new IP... Retro's new game for example.

Octane

Pluto14

@Octane I really hope that Retro is making another Donkey Kong game to end the second trilogy. That would also be an instant Switch buy for me.

Pluto14

Octane

@Pluto14 I'd love that too, but it's all but confirmed they're not working on a DK game at this point.

Octane

Nin10dad

January - A launch of the online service, immediately after the rumoured direct airs, with select GameCube games ready from the off.
February- Kirby
March - Animal Crossing
April - Smash DX
May - Yoshi
June - Fire Emblem
July - Pikmin 4
August - F - Zero
September- New IP from Retro
October- Donkey Kong
November - 2D Zelda
December- 2D Mario / Mario Maker 2

nintendad.co.uk

Twitter @nintendad

Switch - SW-5274-3655-0708

Octane

@Whitewatermoose Nintendo issued a statement saying that the Nintendo rep meant to say ''2018 and beyond''. Metroid isn't coming in 2018, and Pokemon is unlikely too.

Octane

Octane

@Whitewatermoose Yes.

Nintendo also admitted they revealed Metroid Prime ''too'' early on purpose, just to let people know they're working on it.

Octane

GrailUK

I bet they have some titles almost finished we have absolutely no idea about. They were so quiet in the Wii U's life that so many projects must have been moved over. If they can mimic this year with striking a balance of goty new games and dx editions of back catalogue, then they will clean house! I wouldn't like to guess what they will reveal, because they purposefully strive to surprise us, however, I am confident in thinking that they won't disappoint us with an Amiibo board game and a bare bones tennis title (omg that was definitely a low point!)

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

retropunky

Mother 3 of course!

In all seriousness, I’m thinking they’ll tease Smash 5.

retropunky

3DS Friend Code: 4313-0436-2109

Harmonie

I hope they'll come out with news of the next Animal Crossing soon. I mean, it's been five years since New Leaf was released in JP. It's about time, I say!

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

Deku-Scrub

My Predictions for 2018's Nintendo releases:

March: Kirby Star Allies
May: Fire Emblem Switch
July: Yoshi Switch
September: New Retro IP
October: Animal Crossing Switch
November: Pokemon Switch
December: New Rumored Nintendo IP

Deku-Scrub

Joycon Boy Forever

Currently Playing:
Switch: Fire Emblem: Three Houses
3DS: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
PS4: Persona 5, Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order

Grumblevolcano

@NintenNinja16 Ouch, that would be more drought heavy than the typical Wii U year.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Nintendoforlife

NintenNinja16 wrote:

I mean since every Animal crossing branded game after the first outside of Pocket and Happy Home was released in November.............

Nintendoforlife

Ralizah

Metroid and Pokemon aren't coming before 2019 (barring ports and HD remasters, of course). SMT V will be late 2019/early 2020.

Big possibilities for next year include Pikmin 4, Kirby, Yoshi, an Animal Crossing game, Fire Emblem, Bayonetta 1/2 port, a complete re-release of Smash 4, and perhaps some new I.P.s/resurrected older I.P.s. I expect that, while there will be a big first-party release every couple of months, it won't be quite as much of a constant deluge of content as we saw in 2017. Hopefully targeted third party releases will pick up the slack there. Several Japanese games are targeting Switch in 2018, and, if rumors about Dark Souls and Xenosaga remasters end up being true, we could still end up with a decently packed year.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Octane

@Grumblevolcano I think you're overestimating Nintendo if you expect them to release Kirby, Fire Emblem, Yoshi, Animal Crossing, Pokemon and two new IPs in a single year.

Octane

FragRed

@Octane They are definitely releasing Kirby, Fire Emblem and Yoshi that is for sure and you would hope something like Animal Crossing considering Nintendo's crazy high sales expectations going forward for next year. I don't think Pokemon that is for sure.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Octane

@FragRed I know, but two new IPs on top of that as well? I don't think so. Maybe one, Retro's new project. Maybe Pikmin 4 too? I can't see them releasing more than that, unless they outsource other devs.

Octane

nikoamii

NintenNinja16 wrote:

I’d say this is very likeg and It would be my perfect 2018

nikoamii

Grumblevolcano

@Octane I don't expect all those but I expect more games in total so something like this from the Nintendo side:
January - Nothing
February - Smash 4 port
March - Kirby Star Allies
April - Captain Toad port (Captain Toad is in Mario Odyssey)
May - Fire Emblem
June - Yoshi
July - Unannounced new game (not a new IP)
August - Super Mario Maker port
September - Retro's game (new IP)
October - Bayonetta 1+2 port
November - Animal Crossing
December - Nothing

The whole concept of using Wii U ports and 3rd party support to prevent game droughts.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.