Forums

Topic: Nintendo nx will be a power house! Heres why i think that...

Posts 1 to 15 of 15

DjLewe78

I truly believe Nintendo will unveil a true monster of a machine, heres why...
1. Just enough power in the WII U clearly wasn't enough, they know that, we know that, they are clever, they will fix it
2. They wont compete in the casual game market with the NX (if it is a home console) as mobiles and tablets give us that for free or very little cost, they know that, we know that! There in the mobile business now, So why would clever people who now make mobile games make a console to play £50 puzzlers ?
3. I believe they have listened and Nintendo used to make the more powerful consoles, is it that hard to believe they could do it again?
4. PS4 and XB1 are damn powerful, would a clever company release a less powerful console 3 years after the release of those 2 consoles if they ever hope to compete again. Surely not

1 up !

TeeJay

Nintendo doesn't have worse graphics than everyone else to appeal to casuals. Nintendo values keeping costs as low as possible over graphics. It's always been that way, and Nintendo isn't going to change that anytime in the forseeable future. They will always be one gen behind everyone else in the graphics department.

They believe innovation and gameplay are of higher priority than graphics, and I happen to agree with them.

TeeJay

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

skywake

1. Obviously their next home console, NX or not, will be more powerful than the PS4. In the same way that the Wii was more powerful than the XBox and the Wii U is more powerful than the 360. Or how you can buy fairly entry level tablets that are more powerful than gaming PCs were ten years ago. That's just how it goes.

2. The whole point of the NX announcement was to show that going mobile didn't mean they were abandoning gaming on dedicated hardware. Also that they weren't going to simply port existing ideas to mobile and that they would do everything they could to avoid reducing the value of their IP. Infact Iwata specifically tried to give the impression that if you're not into mobile and are just into their portables and home consoles you won't see anything change.

3. They've made a point of saying repeatedly that they don't want to just improve specs. I think the evidence and recent history strongly suggests that they'll go for the cheaper, lower powered, Nintendo box strategy.

4. When it releases? It'll be more powerful than the PS4 for sure. But I think evidence points to it being less powerful than what the PS5 might end up being. Which is the more important comparison because I don't think the PS4 is what it'll be competing against. Because, as I have said, there's no reason to believe that the NX is necessarily a home-console. It would make more sense if it was a portable.

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, TFS
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

HollywoodHogan

DjLewe78 wrote:

I truly believe Nintendo will unveil a true monster of a machine, heres why...
1. Just enough power in the WII U clearly wasn't enough, they know that, we know that, they are clever, they will fix it
2. They wont compete in the casual game market with the NX (if it is a home console) as mobiles and tablets give us that for free or very little cost, they know that, we know that! There in the mobile business now, So why would clever people who now make mobile games make a console to play £50 puzzlers ?
3. I believe they have listened and Nintendo used to make the more powerful consoles, is it that hard to believe they could do it again?
4. PS4 and XB1 are damn powerful, would a clever company release a less powerful console 3 years after the release of those 2 consoles if they ever hope to compete again. Surely not

You got all that just based on the letters "N" and "X"?

Friend to all SJW's

HollywoodHogan

skywake wrote:

It'll be more powerful than the PS4 for sure. But I think evidence points to it being less powerful than what the PS5 might end up being. Which is the more important comparison because I don't think the PS4 is what it'll be competing against. Because, as I have said, there's no reason to believe that the NX is necessarily a home-console. It would make more sense if it was a portable.

A handheld system that is more powerful than a PS4 that will be released in maybe two years? Yeah, okay.

Maybe it will look like this?

Untitled

Friend to all SJW's

CaviarMeths

I think it's important to keep in mind that the Wii U was the first time ever that Nintendo designed a console that was sold at a loss at launch. It's not a great idea for Nintendo to make a habit of that because they don't have the same leverage that Sony and Microsoft do to subsidize their hardware. Sony and Microsoft can afford it for two reasons.

First, because video games are not their main industry. Microsoft in particular has lost billions on the Xbox brand all in the interest of getting their foot in the door. Boxes under as many TVs, brand in the mind of as many people in America as they can. That opens up a storefront to millions of people who otherwise would spend their money on some other company.

Second, because Sony and Microsoft get a lot of third party support. You can take a loss on hardware and make it up in licensing. 3rd parties pay the platform holder to release their games on it. Not just any 3rd party support either. The kind of 3rd party games that release on PS/XB are the kind of games that sell best on PS/XB, sell millions, and people buy the machines just to play those games.

Nintendo doesn't really have these advantages. They can't take a loss on hardware because it's their primary source of revenue. If your main product isn't making money, you've kind of got a problem. Also, the games that sell the best on Nintendo systems far and wide are Nintendo games. They're not raking in fortunes on licensing like Sony and Microsoft are. There are some exceptions of course, but not enough to make it the rule.

So I find it unlikely that they make a powerhouse. They'll make a machine using Gunpei Yokoi's old "kareta gijutsu no suihei shikou" philosophy, using old technology in new ways.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Dr_Corndog

If such a thing as a "power house" console ever existed, it would be a PC.

Dr_Corndog

Nintendo Network ID: DrCecilCorndog

skywake

MasterBlaster wrote:

skywake wrote:

It'll be more powerful than the PS4 for sure. But I think evidence points to it being less powerful than what the PS5 might end up being. Which is the more important comparison because I don't think the PS4 is what it'll be competing against. Because, as I have said, there's no reason to believe that the NX is necessarily a home-console. It would make more sense if it was a portable.

A handheld system that is more powerful than a PS4 that will be released in maybe two years? Yeah, okay.

You misunderstood, let me spell it out.....
1. It (i.e. their next home console) will be more powerful than the PS4 for sure but
2. it could be and probably will be less powerful than the PS5. Which is more important because
3. it'll be competing with the PS5 not the PS4. Because
4. I don't think the NX is their next home console, I think it's a portable (i.e. their home console will come after NX)

I would've thought that was clear given I said just before that "obviously their next home console, NX or not, will be more powerful than the PS4". Why would I say that and then say that I thought they'd make a portable in two years that was as powerful as the PS4?

Edited on by skywake

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, TFS
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Nicolai

I believe I read somewhere that saving power is once again a priority with the NX. That doesn't necessarily mean their next machine can't be more powerful and energy efficient, but it's hint.

EDIT: Here's where I got it from, it's a job listing for work on their next console where they recommended experience in designing low-power rechnology.

Edited on by Nicolai

I rise from the ashes!
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Jacob717

Better be more powerful than the PS4, and not just slightly, but a by a generation.

@skywake, the original Xbox is more powerful than the original Wii.

Jacob717

skywake

Dipper723 wrote:

@skywake, the original Xbox is more powerful than the original Wii.

The Wii was clocked higher, ran on a more efficient architecture and had more (and faster) memory. It wasn't a lot faster but it was faster. But whatever, it doesn't matter, it wasn't the point I was making at all. All I was saying was that even though Nintendo has been releasing "underpowered hardware" it's still been on par with if not above the best of last gen. So saying their next home console will be more powerful than the PS4? It's a pretty safe bet.

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, TFS
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

iKhan

DjLewe78 wrote:

2. They wont compete in the casual game market with the NX (if it is a home console) as mobiles and tablets give us that for free or very little cost, they know that, we know that! There in the mobile business now, So why would clever people who now make mobile games make a console to play £50 puzzlers ?

While I agree with a lot of what you say, I don't get why people still say this. The casual gaming market is far more complicated than that. Yes, there are casual experiences like Brain Age that simply don't fly on dedicated devices anymore, but a huge part of the casual market is bit multiplayer party games, which absolutely do have a place on dedicated machines.

Currently Playing: Pokemon Crystal, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Super Smash Bros: Ultimate, Daemon X Machina Prototype Missions

unrandomsam

skywake wrote:

Dipper723 wrote:

@skywake, the original Xbox is more powerful than the original Wii.

The Wii was clocked higher, ran on a more efficient architecture and had more (and faster) memory. It wasn't a lot faster but it was faster. But whatever, it doesn't matter, it wasn't the point I was making at all. All I was saying was that even though Nintendo has been releasing "underpowered hardware" it's still been on par with if not above the best of last gen. So saying their next home console will be more powerful than the PS4? It's a pretty safe bet.

Wii MEM1 is fast MEM2 is slow.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

skywake

@unrandomsam
Slow but still faster than the plain-old DDR in the original XBox. The thing was five years old when the Wii launched, it shouldn't be a surprise that the Wii used better tech. The same thing happened with the Wii U where even though they didn't push the spec much it inevitably got better specs than the 360. And again, particularly when it comes to memory.

I don't know why you two are going on about this. It was only one of two examples of a broader point. That because there are, in terms of technology, quite a few years between each console generation? It's inevitable that the next Nintendo home-console will have specs as good if not better than the PS4. Or at the very least so damn close that people can post pedantic replies on gaming forums about whether or not it technically is or isn't

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, TFS
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Morpheel

I'll enjoy when they announce it and it turns out it's a download service or an educative system. Or something equally non-next gen.

Edited on by Morpheel

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Top

  • Pages:
  • 1

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic