Forums

Topic: Nintendo Labo

Posts 281 to 300 of 398

skywake

Agriculture wrote:

skywake wrote:

Agriculture wrote:

skywake wrote:

Though even then it's just cardboard, there's nothing stopping you from making your own.

The robot suit is obviously more than just card board. Anyhow, if they don't allow the games to be played without any card board, they are making a mistake since it will break easy. It can also be dependent on a special kind of card board such as stiffer more reinforced, so it might not be simple to make your own

If you want to get super pedantic then it's cardboard, reflective tape and string. The Variety kit also includes rubber bands and the robot kit includes some fabric. And ultimately the cardboard is just a kind of building material, it's not a fancy piece of very specific tech or something. There's nothing stopping you from making your own design out of ply or perspex if you really wanted to.

That's just your guess. My guess is that it will be too difficult to replicate the Labo toys at home for the average user. Even the remote controlled insect might be too hard to make. It probably depends on a certain stiffness of card board to be able to move properly.

It's not a guess when the components are literally written on the product description

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

skywake

spizzamarozzi wrote:

this is a Nintendo forum and Nintendo is always right until overal sales prove it wrong. Your opinion is wrong because it's based on assumptions, and in this place the assumption that Nintendo is right is always more correct than the assumption that Nintendo is wrong.
Just get along and say that $70 for cardboard is a bargain, otherwise you'll enter a spiral of esoteric posts, quotes, stats and maths that will prove you wrong even if you're stating that the earth is round, because that's the way it goes on this board.

I don't think that's the case here. A very specific claim was made, that Labo was stupid because once it breaks you're screwed so therefore all of these games HAVE to work without the cardboard. All I've said in response is that it's just cardboard so theres nothing stopping you from making your own. One person here is coming up with increasing absurd arguments, it isn't the dude saying its just cardboard.....

GrailUK

Saying 'just cardboard' debases the design process of said cardboard. Is artwork just paint? It's easy to deconstruct something when you are disappointed with not getting what you want...when you are 8!

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Eel

What is a man?! A miserable little pile of... Cells.

There's cells literally everywhere. That's cheap.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Octane

How many pizzas is a Labo?

Octane

Agriculture

Octane wrote:

@Agriculture Why would it need more than that?

It's not that difficult to imagine it might not work if the card board used is too mushy. The same goes of all Labo things.

Agriculture

Eel

Unless you are literally using paper or old bent cardboard, it should work just fine.

I can imagine the designs will work better with thinner stronger cardboards, but other kinds should give satisfactory results, at varying grades of longevity.

You could try using two layers of cereal box cardboard. I think that would be a nice option. The glue will make the whole thing stronger as well.

Want to make it even studier? Mix equal parts of white glue and water and use it to apply a few layers of newspaper, waiting for them to dry before adding another. It will be rock hard.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Therad

Maybe someone will invent something that can fix broken cardboard. Like thin plastic strips with sticky glue on the back or something...

Edited on by Therad

Therad

skywake

GrailUK wrote:

Saying 'just cardboard' debases the design process of said cardboard. Is artwork just paint? It's easy to deconstruct something when you are disappointed with not getting what you want...when you are 8!

If I was talking art then sure. But I was actually talking about it in terms of structure. And in that sense I'm 100% sure it's just cardboard. As such I know that repairing and replacing it should be cheap and that, for some uses, substitute materials should suffice.

jump

I remember there was an investor's Q&A when the Switch was announced and a comment was made about it having lots of accessories. At the time people assumed it meant the joy cons but could it be they were sitting on this all long just to build up a userbase the same way they staggered releases throughout 2017?

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

skywake

@jump
Come to think of it, when the Switch's full specs were first shown I personally always just assumed the IR Camera on the JoyCon was for a future Wii VC. A theory which didn't entirely make sense given you'd still need a sensor bar for proper emulation of the WiiMote. But still, that's what I thought it was there for and it made more sense than it just being there for one mini game in 1-2 Switch.

But now that Labo is a thing? I reckon they've had this as an idea floating around for years. That IR Camera was likely put in there specifically so that they could have Labo.

Eel

Well it's not like the article says "play with cardboard" it just says that older plastic toys don't meet the current safety standards, which should be obvious already.

Bloop.

Dizzy_Boy

Going on that report, we'd better throw away all of our old consoles then.

Dizzy_Boy

Twitter:

Dogorilla

Hyrule wrote:

Base.com doing the cheapest price for preorders in the UK:

Nintendo Labo Variety Kit 1 (Nintendo Switch) (Toy Con 1) £53.85 (Amazon 59.99)
Nintendo Labo Robot Kit 1 (Nintendo Switch) (Toy Con 2) £63.85 (Amazon 69.99)

Thanks for the heads up!

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Nicolai

@SLIGEACH_EIRE @Dizzy_Boy
To be fair, it sounds like its a hazard for toddlers who like to put their mouth on or chew their toys. So I doubt our consoles are going to be much of a problem.

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Aozz101x

– Some of the custom toys Nintendo showed off included an electric guitar and a basic game of electronic tennis
– Toy Con Garage uses simple “building blocks” to let you program your devices
– They’re essentially “if-then” statements
– When you open up the program, you can select from a number of blocks based on input options for your Switch’s controllers
– Then connect them to other blocks based on output options.
– Ex: you can connect the left Switch controller’s B button (input) to the right Switch controller’s vibration feature (output)
– By doing so, whenever you press B on the left Joy Con, the right Joy Con will buzz
– This is how Nintendo Labo users will be able to expand beyond the six types of cardboard creations included in the Variety Set or the one included in the Robot Set
– Ex: Instead of making a piano, you can make a guitar
– Or instead of making a toy car, you can build a little cardboard man who falls flat on his face
– You can mix and match different programs’ functionality—using the fishing rod to play music
– You can even add extra Joy Cons to build even more elaborate programs

http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-labo-allows-for-rudime...

My Top 9 Favorite Games of All time.
1. Judgement
2. Baldur's Gate 3
3. Bully (Rockstar)
4. Person 4 / Golden
5. Sonic Adventure 2
6. Xenoblade X
7. Ape Escape 2
8. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
9. James Bond 007 Nightfire

Switch Friend Code: SW-5070-3616-4044 | 3DS Friend Code: 4828-8466-0472 | My Nintendo: Aozz101x | Twitter:

TuVictus

I'm sure there's going to be a few people pushing the limits of the programs by utilizing multiple cardboard pieces and joy con. Can't wait to see how elaborate they can get.

TuVictus

Sorry, this topic has been locked.