Forums

Topic: Nintendo Labo

Posts 261 to 280 of 398

skywake

Agriculture wrote:

Here is what i read: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/01/nintendo_confirms_it...

"IGN France confirmed that Labo Kits won’t actually be required to play Labo games, the cartridge or download will be all that you need. Cardboard design patterns for the various games will freely be provided online, meaning that you can replace or build parts with just about any material, provided you’re crafty enough."

You can interpret this three ways:
1. All of the games will be playable with just a normal controller using it's analog sticks and buttons, you don't need any card board
2. All of the games can be played without any card board, by utilizing the joycons in other ways, such as by holding them or placing them on a table.
3. You can make your own card board, you don't need OUR card board.

With the exception of the remote controlled joycon in card board, I think they mean 1 and 2. The robot game would work just fine with regular motion controls, with the only exception that head tracking would be off. I also don't see why you get so worked up over this, it's just a kids toy and usually the kid don't care about it the next year.

Two things, firstly if you actually read what is said rather than stopping at the first sentence you will see that it is 100% the third of your three theories. They specifically said that they would provide patterns for free. They didn't at any point say that the game would be playable without creating the ToyCon in some shape or form. And if you actually stop for a second and look at how they actually work that much should have been immediately obvious.

Secondly the source of the article has since corrected. Here's the google translate from IGN france:

At the time of the announcement, we then explained that it would be possible to recover the bosses of these boxes for free to create the accessories yourself. Nintendo confirmed that this was not the case .

Though even then it's just cardboard, there's nothing stopping you from making your own.

Agriculture wrote:

We'll see when it comes out. They would take a giant risk if that robot game couldn't be played in some other way.

It's not a risk and also we already know. I don't know why you can't admit that you got it wrong.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Labo Reveal Trailer: EVERY DETAIL ANALYZED

You'll need to use Google Translate but the designs will not be provided for free by Nintendo. I mentioned this on the site a few days ago.

http://fr.ign.com/nintendo-labo-nintendo-switch/33119/news/ni...

Though they really should because people are going to put them up online within days of release I'm sure. It's not hard to make copy templates.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

Octane

@SLIGEACH_EIRE Allow me to offer a better translation:

''At the time of the announcement, we had explained that it will be possible to obtain the cardboard patterns for free, to create the accessories yourself. Nintendo has confirmed to us that this is not the case.''

Octane

Agriculture

skywake wrote:

Though even then it's just cardboard, there's nothing stopping you from making your own.

The robot suit is obviously more than just card board. Anyhow, if they don't allow the games to be played without any card board, they are making a mistake since it will break easy. It can also be dependent on a special kind of card board such as stiffer more reinforced, so it might not be simple to make your own.

It all comes down to the price really, if they had released a pack for 20 dollars that contained the card board plus a digital download code, then it wouldn't have mattered as much that it was made in card board and probably will be unusable after a few weeks of use.

Now we will probably see tons of adult weirdos trying to preserve their card board toys forever, instead of kids using it for a while then moving on to something else.

Agriculture

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Pachter Actually ‘Mentioned’ Nintendo Labo in 2012: Fans Aren’t So stupid To Buy a Piece of Cardboard – Satire

“I don’t think Nintendo fans are so stupid they would buy a piece of cardboard”, Pachter said on Bonus Round six years ago. “A box on the other hand, that says Nintendo on it, they probably would. Remember when you were a kid and you get gifts, and when you’re really little you like the box better than the gift? That’s how I think of Nintendo fanboys.”

https://wccftech.com/pachter-nintendo-labo-2012/

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

skywake

Agriculture wrote:

skywake wrote:

The robot suit is obviously more than just card board. Anyhow, if they don't allow the games to be played without any card board, they are making a mistake since it will break easy. It can also be dependent on a special kind of card board such as stiffer more reinforced, so it might not be simple to make your own

If you want to get super pedantic then it's cardboard, reflective tape and string. The Variety kit also includes rubber bands and the robot kit includes some fabric. And ultimately the cardboard is just a kind of building material, it's not a fancy piece of very specific tech or something. There's nothing stopping you from making your own design out of ply or perspex if you really wanted to.

@SLIGEACH_EIRE
Obviously that's not what he meant and TBH I don't know why everyone always brings up Pachter. He's as good a predictor of what will do well and what won't as a coin toss. I reckon if you had shown him the Wii in 2005 and the Wii U in 2010 he would have predicted the Wii U would be a hit and the Wii would fail. But even a broken clock is right twice a day

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Agriculture

skywake wrote:

Agriculture wrote:

skywake wrote:

The robot suit is obviously more than just card board. Anyhow, if they don't allow the games to be played without any card board, they are making a mistake since it will break easy. It can also be dependent on a special kind of card board such as stiffer more reinforced, so it might not be simple to make your own

If you want to get super pedantic then it's cardboard, reflective tape and string. The Variety kit also includes rubber bands and the robot kit includes some fabric. And ultimately the cardboard is just a kind of building material, it's not a fancy piece of very specific tech or something. There's nothing stopping you from making your own design out of ply or perspex if you really wanted to.

That's just your guess. My guess is that it will be too difficult to replicate the Labo toys at home for the average user. Even the remote controlled insect might be too hard to make. It probably depends on a certain stiffness of card board to be able to move properly.

With a price tag of 60 or 70 usd, it's too expensive to be a throwaway thing. Kids break things like that within weeks. I said it before, and I'm saying it again, it should cost 15-20 usd per pack and come with a digital download code for the game. They should also sell individual card board things, like the piano, house and insect for 3-5 usd.

With this pricing, only adult Nintendo collectors can buy it. I am predicting that there will be a lot of Youtube videos talking about how to best preserve the card board.

Agriculture

spizzamarozzi

Agriculture wrote:

With this pricing, only adult Nintendo collectors can buy it.

I'm not following the discussion because, as usual, we've reached a tremendous level of lunaticism entirely based on guesses and more guesses. Hower, this touches an interesting point - who is Labo really aimed to?! And it's not a matter of pricing, but a matter of desiderability.

Do kids really play with cardboard?! To a kid, is an RC car made with cardboard really more desiderable than a real RC car that costs the same but you can take anywhere and doesn't need being tied to an app that runs on a console?! If presented with a choice of a big plastic bazooka for videogames (like those that were popular during the Wii era) and a big cardboard bazooka, what would a kid choose?! Would a cardboard toy be as durable as, say, Lego toys in the hands of children?! Would kids be able to assemble any of these without the help of an adult?!

So I am just wondering, is Labo really aimed to kids or, as usual, made for overgrown kids in the body of 35 year olds, trapped in a reality they don't like, pining for childhood, with a lot of cash to burn?!

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

Agriculture

spizzamarozzi wrote:

Agriculture wrote:

With this pricing, only adult Nintendo collectors can buy it.

I'm not following the discussion because, as usual, we've reached a tremendous level of lunaticism entirely based on guesses and more guesses. Hower, this touches an interesting point - who is Labo really aimed to?! And it's not a matter of pricing, but a matter of desiderability.

Do kids really play with cardboard?! To a kid, is an RC car made with cardboard really more desiderable than a real RC car that costs the same but you can take anywhere and doesn't need being tied to an app that runs on a console?! If presented with a choice of a big plastic bazooka for videogames (like those that were popular during the Wii era) and a big cardboard bazooka, what would a kid choose?! Would a cardboard toy be as durable as, say, Lego toys in the hands of children?! Would kids be able to assemble any of these without the help of an adult?!

So I am just wondering, is Labo really aimed to kids or, as usual, made for overgrown kids in the body of 35 year olds, trapped in a reality they don't like, pining for childhood, with a lot of cash to burn?!

It's a shame that you can't even have a disagreement on the internet anymore without someone freaking out and telling everyone to "get along". The Labo is clearly targeted at kids, the robot thing probably won't even fit an adult. I don't mind this thing one bit, I think it's a great thing if the Switch becomes a console for all ages and has a broad selection of things you can do with it. All I'm saying is that the pricing is way off, and that they should probably sell extra card board.

Agriculture

Octane

@Agriculture You can adjust the strings on the robot kit, so it should fit everyone.

Octane

Maxz

@spizzamarozzi Maybe it's for them (grown-ups) - and their kids, should they have them.

I don't think the pricing is any evidence they they're not aimed at kids. Kids play with LEGO (including Mindstorms). Kids play with Arduinos and Raspberry Pis. None of them are particularly cheap. The only thing most kids can afford from most LEGO sets is probably the odd mini figure. But they still end up with LEGO somehow; because parents buy it for them.

Saying "kids won't play Labo because kids can't afford Labo" is like saying "kids don't live in houses because they can't afford houses". Kids can barely afford anything. They don't have an income, other than their pocket money which comes from their parents to begin with.

If Nintendo can persuade parents that Labo represents an interactive, educational, and engaging product for their children to build and play, then they've won half the battle - probably more.

So yes, convincing grown-ups is important as grown-ups are the people who buy kids toys. But the pricing is no evidence of this being 'not for kids' at all.

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Eel

Well, kids gotta user their income wisely. They can't be officially employed so they earn less money than adults. And bills, food, and clothes are expensive.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

spizzamarozzi

Agriculture wrote:

It's a shame that you can't even have a disagreement on the internet anymore without someone freaking out and telling everyone to "get along".

this is a Nintendo forum and Nintendo is always right until overal sales prove it wrong.
Your opinion is wrong because it's based on assumptions, and in this place the assumption that Nintendo is right is always more correct than the assumption that Nintendo is wrong.
Just get along and say that $70 for cardboard is a bargain, otherwise you'll enter a spiral of esoteric posts, quotes, stats and maths that will prove you wrong even if you're stating that the earth is round, because that's the way it goes on this board.

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

Maxz

I'd also like to point out how overbearingly self-certain people are being given how little we know about the software. Take the Variety Pack. Take just the motorcycle game from the Variety Pack. Does anyone have any idea just how big that one game will actually be? Any idea on the number of levels? On the whether it has multiplayer? Or whether is even has online? I mean, we can guess, but does anyone know? Does anyone know how big Project Giant Cardboard Robot is (the game, not the suit)? We know the prototype came into development years ago. It could be a sizeable campaign. Or a single tiny city.

So far, all we've been judging are the controllers - which are admittedly a big part of what makes Labo tick. But I don't believe anyone has a trustworthy opinion on the whole Labo thing until we know more about the games we'll be playing with them. Without that information, all we're doing is competing to see who can be the most noisily ignorant.

Edited on by Maxz

HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Agriculture

spizzamarozzi wrote:

Agriculture wrote:

It's a shame that you can't even have a disagreement on the internet anymore without someone freaking out and telling everyone to "get along".

this is a Nintendo forum and Nintendo is always right until overal sales prove it wrong.
Your opinion is wrong because it's based on assumptions, and in this place the assumption that Nintendo is right is always more correct than the assumption that Nintendo is wrong.
Just get along and say that $70 for cardboard is a bargain, otherwise you'll enter a spiral of esoteric posts, quotes, stats and maths that will prove you wrong even if you're stating that the earth is round, because that's the way it goes on this board.

Thanks. I've come to realize this.

Anyhow, I do want everything about the Switch to work out well, which is why I think it's important to criticize the 70 dollar card board.

Agriculture

Agriculture

Maxz wrote:

I'd also like to point out how overbearingly self-certain people are being given how little we know about the software. Take the Variety Pack. Take just the motorcycle game from the Variety Pack. Does anyone have any idea just how big that one game will actually be? Any idea on the number of levels? On the whether it has multiplayer? Or whether is even has online? I mean, we can guess, but does anyone know? Does anyone know how big Project Giant Cardboard Robot is (the game, not the suit)? We know the prototype came into development years ago. It could be a sizeable campaign. Or a single tiny city.

So far, all we've been judging are the controllers - which are admittedly a big part of what makes Labo tick. But I don't believe anyone has a trustworthy opinion on the whole Labl thing until we know more about the games we'll be playing with them. Without that information, all we're doing is competing to see who can be the most noisily ignorant.

We can make an educated guess based on how 1-2 Switch was. You're free to believe the motorcycle mini game will be a game on par with Motorstorm though, I just don't think that's likely.

Agriculture

Octane

@Maxz Eh... don't get your hopes up.

Octane

Maxz

@Octane I'm not. To be honest, I'm expecting something nearer to 'microgames' than anything very fully fledge'. But it's an unknown (and hugely relevant) factor, which deserves to be recognised as such.

The "it's just cardboard" line is starting to strike me as wilfully ignorant. The cardboard is the controller. Until we know the details of what we're actually controlling, there's a large degree of speculation in play. This doesn't provide solid enough grounding for some of the more vociferous opinions bounding around.

Edited on by Maxz

HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Hyrule

Base.com doing the cheapest price for preorders in the UK:

Nintendo Labo Variety Kit 1 (Nintendo Switch) (Toy Con 1) £53.85 (Amazon 59.99)
Nintendo Labo Robot Kit 1 (Nintendo Switch) (Toy Con 2) £63.85 (Amazon 69.99)

Hyrule

Switch Friend Code: SW-7459-0389-4683 | Nintendo Network ID: HyruleMage | Twitter:

Sorry, this topic has been locked.