Forums

Topic: Nintendo Labo

Posts 221 to 240 of 398

1UP_MARIO

@Anti-Matter "I have lost my respect with Sony."
What did they do to you this time?

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Haruki_NLI

@Kimyonaakuma If the Switch screen was split vertically down the middle you'd be halving a 720p screen.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Haruki_NLI

@Kimyonaakuma Therefore if the display is divided per eye...how much of the screens total pixel density is visible to each eye? Half of it.

skywake

A huge pile of idiocy on the last two pages, addressing a few of the most outlandish ones:

JDORS wrote:

There are STEM type toys such as robots that do the same things for far less cost (considering the Switch itself costs $300).

For a start they aren't that much less. Using AUD the Switch plus this game will set you back ~$570AU and for comparison a Lego Mindstorms kit costs $500AU. Now you may argue that Lego Mindstorms offers more in terms of a STEM toy and I'd agree 100%. But equally the Switch can play games so the Switch offers far more as a gaming device.

Now looking at it from a different perspective, taking the game playing out of it. Lets assume you already have a Switch and you're looking at $100AU for this kit. And at $100 it's pretty reasonable for something like this. Having a quick look in that same price point I can see stuff like the Makey Makey. Now if it was just a craft kit? I'd expect it to be closer to $50AU comparing it to what else is out there. So as a craft kit with software that's ultimately interactive? It's not badly priced at all.

JDORS wrote:

The purpose of first-party software is to sell the hardware. Therefore, it should be designed for all ages.

Yes the purpose of first party software is to sell the hardware mostly so you can then sell more software. But that doesn't mean all software has to be for all people. Sure the software lineup overall has to be especially if you want to reach as wide a market as possible. But individual titles don't.

For example for me as an adult gamer I would't be at all upset if in 2018 the Switch lacked kid friendly games entirely. If it was stuff like Bayonetta, Metroid and more ports of games like Doom and LA Noire. But if they did that there would be a whole bunch of people who would look at the lineup and say "there's nothing for me". The same would be true if the reverse was true.

But as it happens we're getting Bayonetta AND Labo. So they're covering both demographics with two games right there. And I'd argue they're covering both of them better than they would have with two games like New SMB which appeal to everyone but, frankly, don't really nail any demographic

JDORS wrote:

Labo is NOT going to sell the hardware

I think it will but even so not everything has to be a system seller to move hardware. All it needs to do is make the hardware slightly more appealing for it being on there. And if you're buying a console for a 7-14 year old this does make the Switch a lot more appealing. Not just compared to the competition but in general. In the same way that Wii Sports worked for the Wii, Brain Training for the DS and even Mario Paint for the SNES.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Haruki_NLI

@Kimyonaakuma Don't worry about it. Long and short, Switch isn't gonna do VR. Not with that screen.

skywake

YummyHappyPills wrote:

Therefore if the display is divided per eye...how much of the screens total pixel density is visible to each eye? Half of it. Youd get 360p per eye.

1280x720 (1MP) -> 2x 640x720 (2x 0.46MP)

360p -> (0.23MP)
480p -> (0.3MP)

What you'd get would be to 360p what 1080p (2MP) is to 720p (1MP) if that makes sense. Quite a bit above. So saying it's 360p is super inaccurate. Either way even something a tad above 480p is still super average for VR. For VR you'd ideally want something above 1080p for each eye.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Anti-Matter

@1UP_MARIO
Well, i have ever explained before.
I lost my respect with Sony since PS3 era and PS4 due to Too much adult games , Adult image portrayed and their copycats (Moves, Cross play with Vita).
There is No more interesting games from Sony for me, despite i have collected 8 PS4 games (Will buy The Sims 4 PS4 for the last ).
I have to buy PS4 in order to play my Ultimate games (The Sims 4) even though i still have dislike feeling toward PS4.
Ah, well. I will give my PS4 with Six punishments after i got it.

Anti-Matter

1UP_MARIO

@Anti-Matter so you dislike Sony because developers are making adult games for the system. You can't really blame Sony for that can you. You don't need to buy these adult mature themed games but others might. Same with Nintendo, if they started getting mature games from developers for the switch would you dislike switch.
Remember Nintendo wants to make games for everybody, be it children and adults as do sony

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Agriculture

I think it's too low effort. After the cardboard has been assembled, it's just single purpose toys. So the difference between this and an r/c car is that you (usually) don't get to assemble the r/c car.

It's a shame, because had they put more effort in, it could have been way more interesting. Maybe they could have partnered with Lego and made special legos that could be tracked by the IR sensor, that would have had a lot more potential.

Agriculture

JoyBoy

@Agriculture You’re forgetting about the software. They could even release updates/dlc for these games. I seriously don’t know how you can hold the thought in your head that this is low effort. There’s been a lot of creative thinking involved in all this, not to mention the execution, which is also brilliant.

Edited on by JoyBoy

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Eel

That whole thing where the camera detects and interprets different patterns of reflective stickers and how the joycon use all their features in unique ways just REEKS of low effort.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Maxz

With the cardboard piano now a thing, I wonder if we'll be getting Labo bands forming soon...

Are there any other instruments what could convincingly be reborn in
cardboard? String and wind instruments might be difficult, also the sandwich eating mini game from 1-2 Switch might give an idea of how some mouth based instrument might work. But then again, saliva and cardboard has never been a good mix... We'vr got a kick drum, but there must be other things!

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Maxz

With the cardboard piano now a thing, I wonder if we'll be getting Labo bands forming soon...

cardboard? String and wind instruments might be difficult, also the sandwich eating mini game from 1-2 Switch might give an idea of how some mouth based instrument might work. But then again, saliva and cardboard has never been a good mix... We've got a kick drum, but there must be other instruments ready for the cardboard treatment.

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

spizzamarozzi

Maxz wrote:

cardboard? String and wind instruments might be difficult... We've got a kick drum, but there must be other instruments ready for the cardboard treatment.

@Maxz as I said in another post, this thing is going to be a launch platform for Wii Music. You got a toy piano, a bass drum, a trombone (that thing that looks like a an upside down bow) and something that looks like a wah wah pedal which could be used to add a certain flourish to a virtual guitar or something (or maybe it's just a car pedal who knows).

There are many things Wii Music did okay but the Joycons could do much better. The fact that they have 6 buttons and an analogue controller on each of them them opens up a lot of possibilities. But mainly because the sensors are much more sophisticated now, they could do something they couldn't do with the WiiMote, that is using the Joycons as the antennas of a theremin. This means you would be able to produce the note you want when you want (something Wii Music couldn't do), thus transforming the Switch in a real, playable instrument, not just a music simulator.

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

Kimyonaakuma

I could see some kind of harp working in cardboard. And some cardboard maracas for each joy con!

Kimyonaakuma

Sorry, this topic has been locked.