Forums

Topic: Nintendo Labo

Posts 201 to 220 of 398

chardir

@JDORS Nintendo has given up making the best games?! You seem to have forgotten how they released the two most universally critically acclaimed games in 2017.

Nintendo will continue to make excellent traditional video games, and they will make gimmicks, and both will sell millions.

Friend Code: SW-1014-2011-3950 (Switch name: Dii)
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: LMR-JBK-RWG

Octane

@Anti-Matter What's the problem with VR? That's a new way to play too.

Octane

OorWullie

JDORS wrote:

Classic Nintendo tried to be the best. Nintendo tried to make the BEST games. Today, it is like Nintendo has given up and says their games are ‘different’

So those 2 games they released last year that are 2 of the highest rated of all time don't count? Or how about the 6 games they had in the top 10 of Eurogamer's games of the year? Does that give any indication that they've "given up"? We've got a Mario Tennis game coming in a few short months that looks like it's going to one of the kind they used to make. We've got Metroid Prime 4,Fire Emblem, Pokémon. We've got Directs to come, an E3 to come which will reveal even more games to come. But because of this Labo announcement that aims to bring in more future gamers to the console that means they've given up. You don't know what you're talking about man, best to give up before you make a bigger fool of yourself.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

ChimpHunter

I don't usually participate in fights on message boards, but i felt confused by so many comments on this one, and I feel so strongly about it, i thought i'd give it a go. I will say in advance that i will not engage in any fighting or name calling after this. This is just my point of view and everyone is free to have their own.

So, what confuses me:

1) 'This is for kids, Switch is becoming a kids console'
Sorry, what? Yes, this is for kids, and i would argue not even all kids. Only the ones with a creative side. Kids are a segment of the consumer market. Let's say another segments are sports fans, or shooter fans. I'm neither a kid nor a sports/shooter fan, but I cannot jump up and scream each time a sports/1st person game is released on a console! Nintendo is making a kids product here, but Bayonetta is still coming, Fire Emblem... Metroid... and they are working better with 3rd parties to get other Mature games. How is Nintendo creating a kids product taking away from YOU? How is it making the console any less than what it was before? It makes it more. I was a Nintendo kid in the 80s, and I have been a gamer ever since, spending thousands on consoles and games. My kids are Nintendo kids in the 2010s, this is their point of entry. We cannot only think of ourselves, but also the next generation.

2) 'It is so expensive!!!'
Really? I do not understand gamers. We buy $400-500 dollar consoles, spend hundreds in DLC for games we know we won't play anymore 6 months later, but THIS is a problem? If I buy this, it will be primarily for my younger son (the creative one, the other one will just play another 100 hours of Breath of the Wild). Let me share a cross section of recent purchases for him (8 years old): UGear Wooden Train set (https://ugearsmodels.us/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Ugears-Tram-Line-Mechanical-town-DSC5820_B.jpg). Price: $40, Assembly Time: about 2-3 hours, current location: on a shelf, predicted future: trash in 2 years. Lego Merry Go Around (http://jaysbrickblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/LEGO-10257-Carousel-Back-View.jpg) Price $200, assembly time: 3-4 hours, current location: His lego town, occasional used in play. Total play time: maybe 1 hour tops. Future: hopefully successfully disassembled and kept for his kids. Origami book: $20. A couple of hour play time with all results ending in trash after a day. And to be clear, i consider all these worthwhile investments. It's what you do when you have kids. So this will be $150 for both sets. According to hands on reports, the fastest build is 15 minutes, the Piano is 2 hours, and lets assume the robot suit is more, so i'm looking at 5+ hours of building time for my son before i ever touch the games. So it's already the best value item i bought even if all the games suck.

3) 'The games will suck. They are shovelware'.
You don't know that. The games look like the types of games my kids spent a lot of time on on their kindle. Granted, those games are free, but as described above, value is not an issue for me. We still play NintendoLand at my house, those small type games are a lot of fun on playdates and when family comes over. I doubt they will rival Zelda, Mario or a dozen other games I own, but I bet by next year there will be 50+ hours game time between our accounts.

4) 'Who will by this?'
Somewhat covered above, but i had an anecdote to cover so here we go. The simple fact is that yes, this is a Nintnedo Site, but this is not where this game will find its audience. I am a member of our schools PTO board, so I deal with many parents. The story here is about camp fair i recently organized for fundraising (summer camps come in to advertise to the local community). I had 3 STEM bloggers requesting access to be able to right articles about the STEM oriented camps that were participating. My point is: Nintendo Labo will be all over those types of blogs, and that is what parents with disposable income read. This will sell, and sell well.

Lastly my question to all the critics on here: Why do you care? How is this not good? This will make money for Nintendo, money for the teams that make Metroid, which let's be honest will not sell as well. Money to make deals with 3rd parties for exclusives like Bayonetta. Does anybody honestly think that developing this took time away from VC? Where is the downside. Quite frankly, if i'm wrong and you are right, what's the downside? You get to be right, and everyone likes that, and they will stop making it.

Anyway, i could go on and my apologies if anyone felt personally offended by my post, that is never my intention. Thank you for your time.

T.

ChimpHunter

1UP_MARIO

@Octane it's a new way to play too but it's not Nintendo branded. Only Nintendo is allowed to make fun products

Edited on by 1UP_MARIO

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Dogorilla

It's a shame that the UK price is quite a bit higher than the US price (in the US the variety kit is the equivalent of about £50 and the robot is about £60, but they're £60 and £70 respectively in the UK). I'm not saying Labo is too expensive in general, but I don't see any reason for that regional price difference.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Octane

@Dogorilla $70 and $80 is without tax. Yes, they're weird like that.

Anyway, be happy, it's €80 for the robot kit in euroland, but the variety kit is also €80.

Octane

spizzamarozzi

ChimpHunter wrote:

Let me share a cross section of recent purchases for him (8 years old): UGear Wooden Train set (https://ugearsmodels.us/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Ugears-Tram-Line-Mechanical-town-DSC5820_B.jpg). Price: $40, Assembly Time: about 2-3 hours, current location: on a shelf, predicted future: trash in 2 years. Lego Merry Go Around (http://jaysbrickblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/LEGO-10257-Carousel-Back-View.jpg) Price $200, assembly time: 3-4 hours, current location: His lego town, occasional used in play. Total play time: maybe 1 hour tops. Future: hopefully successfully disassembled and kept for his kids. Origami book: $20. A couple of hour play time with all results ending in trash after a day. And to be clear, i consider all these worthwhile investments. It's what you do when you have kids. So this will be $150 for both sets. According to hands on reports, the fastest build is 15 minutes, the Piano is 2 hours, and lets assume the robot suit is more, so i'm looking at 5+ hours of building time for my son before i ever touch the games. So it's already the best value item i bought even if all the games suck.

I don't entirely understand this logic of justifying the price of something according to how many hours of playtime you (or your son) squeeze out of it. Following this logic, a deck of cards, which offers tremendous depth and variety of games and basically eternal longevity, should cost thousands of dollars.
But decks of cards only cost 5 bucks a pack cos they are made of cardboard.

Nintendo IS a smart company if they managed to make cardboard objects that replicate real objects* through an app, that cost as much but won't work as well, and people would rather have the cardboard replica than the real one.

*referring to RC car, toy piano and fishing rod

Edited on by spizzamarozzi

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

Dogorilla

@Octane Oh yeah, I forgot about America's tax thing. That's not so bad then, but that euro price is strange

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

RancidVomit86

Meowpheel wrote:

My main guess is that the problem with VR is that it's not Nintendo-branded.

If @Anti-Matter is involved then yes that is the problem. If Nintendo pursued 4K he would sing a different tune on it as well.

Edited on by RancidVomit86

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

Azooooz

Speaking of VR, my eye's on it recently (pun intended), especially for PC, but I don't want to talk about it here.

Anyway, I have a feeling that next week will be an interesting one for Nintendo as a whole, especially Switch. A direct on Thursday, perhaps?

Edited on by Azooooz

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

TuVictus

Why would we get yet another direct from them?

TuVictus

Anti-Matter

@Octane
VR ?
Their games are pretty Lame.
I have checked VR games only categories, the titles are too generic, the presentation was sooo disapointing with 1st person view.
Nothing look interesting as Nintendo did.
Beside, VR is Ridiculous too expensive than LABO.
Also, putting that gadget on my head are not good idea rather than having fun with LABO cardboxes.
I have lost my respect with Sony.

Anti-Matter

Grumblevolcano

@MisterPi The last one was a Direct Mini which means a main Direct may be coming soon after (there's a less than 20 days theory that has been going around). It would honestly make sense to sandwich the Labo announcement with 2 Directs but it's not a problem if that doesn't happen.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Anti-Matter

@Octane c
I don't think it will be a good idea since i don't like to put something dangerous on my head. But, i do appreciate Nintendo decision if they did something like VR. Maybe i will looking for Nintendo VR games, but i don't think i will use the gadget as long the games can be played even without the gadget.

Anti-Matter

Haruki_NLI

I'd say VR is only a danger if you happen to be in an enclosed space or someone like me where you strap that SOB on and BAM, nose bleeds and passing out

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Kimyonaakuma

VR doesn't seem like a great idea for the Switch. It's not really the right size and you would probably need two pairs of Joy Cons if we were going to have heading tracking and full controls.

...also the screen's resolution is wayyy too low. At max you would get 640p per eye which isn't great, especially that close to your eyes.

Kimyonaakuma

Haruki_NLI

@Kimyonaakuma Youd get 360p per eye.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Sorry, this topic has been locked.