Forums

Topic: Nintendo Labo

Posts 141 to 160 of 398

jump

Just speculation but with the robo game are people expecting a fully fledged game with a storycampaign or a mini-games/arcade type game?

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Aozz101x

@jump i'd be surprised. if, that Robot game was a full fledged game and had story and such. i feel like it's a acrade type of game where you have to do cretin goals and move on to the next goal. (like Star Fox Guard)

Edited on by Aozz101x

My Top 9 Favorite Games of All time.
1. Judgement
2. Baldur's Gate 3
3. Bully (Rockstar)
4. Person 4 / Golden
5. Sonic Adventure 2
6. Xenoblade X
7. Ape Escape 2
8. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
9. James Bond 007 Nightfire

Switch Friend Code: SW-5070-3616-4044 | 3DS Friend Code: 4828-8466-0472 | My Nintendo: Aozz101x | Twitter:

FragRed

I get what people are saying, yes in principle the Nintendo Labo could be massive. However, why as a parent would anyone spend $300 on a Nintendo Switch plus $80 on this? That's nearly $400 when it makes more sense to just say "Here you go, use my iPad for a while" which is what they already do.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

chardir

@jump Given that they're charging more for the robot on its own than for a 5-pack of toys and games I would hope the robot game is fairly substantial.

Friend Code: SW-1014-2011-3950 (Switch name: Dii)
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: LMR-JBK-RWG

Azooooz

A very good discussion from GameXplain about Nintendo Labo. In short: they're optimistic about it.

Edited on by Azooooz

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

Ryu_Niiyama

@FragRed It allows for hands on STEM/Maker like creativity and is an addon to an already hot ticket item. My godson just got a switch for Xmas and as soon as I showed his mom the advert she started asking me about preorders. Everybody has their own parenting style, but I've not heard of too many that turn their nose up at their kid having physical, interactive experiences that can spark creativity. I'm not saying that Labo alone will sell the switch (although two of my coworkers are now planning an April switch purchase based on this alone) but the switch doesn't really need a push right now (it's selling on its own just fine), this is merely Nintendo leveraging the hardware in another way that makes it more fun (for those that it is marketed to) and capitalizes on the STEM/Maker and creative aspects of childhood.

Also, different families have different budgets/priorities just as gamers do. For ever gamer or family complaining about price there are others that either see the value of the purchase or have the money to just not be bothered by it. Gaming is an expensive hobby, Labo or no.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Late

@FragRed I think it goes more like this:
1. Kid wants a Switch for Christmas 2017
2. Parents aren't sure, maybe the kid wants something else next Christmas?
3. Nintendo releases Labo
4. Parents reconsider Switch for birthday
5. They decide to get the Switch
6. They need to buy a game for their child
7. They see Labo which costs about as much as other games but looks really intriguing
8. They buy it

In short, if parents decide to get a Switch for their child, they might as well get Labo since they need to get a game regardless. It's not just a game, it might inspire the child to try doing some other crafts. They can find a way to express their creative side. The parents can also spend time with their child by helping to build the accessories. I see it as a win-win.

Edited on by Late

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Agriculture

This article says the cardboard designs will be provided for free online: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/01/nintendo_confirms_it...

Obviously this does not mean Nintendo won't have intellectual property over them. It would however be interesting to see if they might still allow third party companies to release their own Labo-stuff. Even if they decide not to allow it, it would be easy for a third party company to make smaller changes and then release the Labo things in plastic.

Agriculture

bezerker99

Nintendo creates rumble in video game controllers. Sony copies it.

Nintendo creates motion technology in their games. Sony copies it.

Nintendo creates popular fighting game with all of their all-star mascots. Sony copies it.

Nintendo creates DIY cardboard cutout add-ons for Switch.......... Your Move, Sony!

OorWullie

I can definitely see 3rd party companies taking advantage of this and it won't affect Nintendo's profits in any way as the initial kits together with the software will still need to be bought. All Nintendo could possibly lose out on is extra purchases of cardboard templates. I doubt that will concern them.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Haru17

I think the tech industry would kinda suck if people didn't copy each other from time to time...

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Haywired

@bezerker99
I'm afraid Nintendo didn't "create motion technology in their games" with the Wii. There have been tons of motion control devices before the Wii. There was even a wand-like motion controller on the Atari in the 80s.

Untitled

Plus, in terms of Sony specifically; they had the EyeToy out before the Wii (and if Kinect is considered a copy of the Wii then why isn't the Wii considered a copy of the EyeToy when it's the same difference?)

Untitled

Plus even "popular fighting game with all-star mascots" could be claimed by Marvel vs Capcom, which came before Smash Bros.

Edited on by Haywired

Haywired

Eel

bezerker99 wrote:

Nintendo creates DIY cardboard cutout add-ons for Switch.......... Your Move, Sony!

Then again Sony has always been a fan of the cardboard aesthetic.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

TuVictus

Yeah the whole "everyone copies Nintendo" thing is ridiculous, as proven countless times.

TuVictus

OorWullie

@MisterPi They might not be the ones to come up with the original ideas but they are the ones who manage to make it mainstream and an industry standard. Just look at modern controllers, D-pad, diamond shape ABXY buttons, start/select, L/R triggers, ZR trigger, analogue stick, Rumble.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

RancidVomit86

bezerker99 wrote:

Nintendo creates rumble in video game controllers. Sony copies it.

Nintendo creates motion technology in their games. Sony copies it.

Nintendo creates popular fighting game with all of their all-star mascots. Sony copies it.

Sony did dual analog...

Sega did a screen on a controller...

Plus half your points are wrong...

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

ieatdragonz

@bezerker99 Difference is, all that "innovation" is in the gaming industry. Sony isn't a toy company, like Nintendo is often. If Sony wants to follow this shoot, they better make a toy division quick!

All jokes aside I think it would be incredibly useless for Sony to even attempt this. Vita and All-Stars were basically attempts at saving ideas, because Vita needed it and Sony's ip's needed some brand recognition. Hell, I barely know half the characters in that game.

Comparing it to Cardboard interactive media. Doesn't sound like something Sony is desperately craving for does it

Edited on by ieatdragonz

People might think I'm childish for my picture, and I am.
Favorite games: Super Mario Odyssey, Super Metroid, Mass Effect 2, Red Dead Redemption, and Sonic Generations
If you like Kirby, then you are a person I can trust.

Aozz101x

oops, looks like someone mistaken labo as a waste paper at GCB.
http://nintendoeverything.com/cleaning-staff-for-germanys-cla...

My Top 9 Favorite Games of All time.
1. Judgement
2. Baldur's Gate 3
3. Bully (Rockstar)
4. Person 4 / Golden
5. Sonic Adventure 2
6. Xenoblade X
7. Ape Escape 2
8. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
9. James Bond 007 Nightfire

Switch Friend Code: SW-5070-3616-4044 | 3DS Friend Code: 4828-8466-0472 | My Nintendo: Aozz101x | Twitter:

darkfenrir

Also it seems that the Nintendo releasing the labo template for free is a lie. Searched it around again showed that no, it won't be for free.

darkfenrir

Sorry, this topic has been locked.