Forums

Topic: Next Nintendo Direct?

Posts 461 to 480 of 15,874

HobbitGamer

@Agriculture Hey, remember that Smash Bros game that had a teaser early last year, then gameplay later, and it got released the same year? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

If you're gonna try to write a little book and get people fired up, you at least need to try harder.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NintendoByNature

JackEatsSparrows wrote:

@Agriculture Hey, remember that Smash Bros game that had a teaser early last year, then gameplay later, and it got released the same year? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

If you're gonna try to write a little book and get people fired up, you at least need to try harder.

I got a good chuckle outta this

NintendoByNature

DannyBoi

I changed my profile picture. And I was like baby baby baby oh!

Destiny, justice and retribrution will be mine.

Agriculture

JackEatsSparrows wrote:

I was asking, not telling. I haven't been a Nintendo owner since the N64, so I didn't know how Nintendo used to do it.

Agriculture

BenGrimm

@embison

Hopefully not, could never get into that game. Thought it was a huge let down after the previous Metroid games.

BenGrimm

Agriculture

link3710 wrote:

All that said? I think Metroid Prime 4 will be a 2021 game, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

If Nintendo has two more years without releases on par with Mario and Zelda, it will be hard for them to keep up momentum. What is Luigi's Mansion like? Is it a system seller like Smash? I know that the Gamecube launched with one of those games instead of Mario, and that seems to have worked reasonably well.

Agriculture

ilikeike

@Agriculture Animal Crossing is coming this year, and I have no doubt that it will do massive numbers. The last AC on 3DS sold incredibly well, so I'd imagine that the series's first HD entry will be quite the system seller.

Edited on by ilikeike

Mario Galaxy is ten years old, and now I feel old.

FragRed

@Agriculture 2019 has two massive system sellers - a mainline Pokemon game and Animal Crossing, both of which sell a crap ton in terms of software and hardware. There is no need to have a Mario or Zelda game this year.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

IceClimbers

So the Pokemon Twitter account has been posting a Kanto Pokemon a day. If I did my math correctly, they'll get through all 151 in mid June.

Are they possibly counting down to a Gen 8 reveal at E3?

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

GrailUK

@IceClimbers You're like Jeff Goldblum in Independence day!

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

EvilLucario

CrossCode has actually been a game I saw on Steam and was super interested in it, but I had other games to look forward to at the time. And since it's coming to Switch, I have no reason to get it for Steam. I doubt that game is coded to go up to 144fps, so as long as it can run at a steady enough 60fps on Switch I'm good.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

@IceClimbers Mew would be on June 13th according to the current pattern which is the last day of E3.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

link3710

@FragRed I mean, ignoring the fact that NSMBU DX already came out and is selling ridiculous numbers I guess.

@Agriculture Oh, I fully expect system sellers. We have coming for 2019:
1. Pokemon 2019 - As the first main series console Pokemon, there's no question this one will be a system seller. Look how well Let's Go did, and most casual players thought it was a spin-off.
2. NSMBU DX - Is it a port? Yes. Is it selling systems? Yes. It's not aimed at us forum goers, but you can be sure 2D Mario is going to sell systems. Chances are, this game will hit 8+ million units.
3. Animal Crossing - On the 3DS New Leaf has sold about 12 million units. We haven't had a game in years, and fans are starved. This game is going to be huge for this year, and is comparable to Smash, Mario, Zelda or Kart in terms of impact.
4. The E3 title - We don't know what it'll be yet, but a major system seller was dropped the last two E3s (Super Mario Odyssey's official reveal, and Super Mario Party). Chances are, we're going to see something that sells like those revealed this year as well, even though it's not a guarantee (might just be a focus on Animal Crossing).
5. Luigi's Mansion 3 - While not on the level of the 4 above, Dark Moon (the previous game on 3DS) sold 6 million copies. That's better than most titles released on the Switch so far, and far exceeding it's predecessor on the GameCube.

And then after those 5 potential system sellers, we still have: Fire Emblem Three Houses (Awakening sold about 2 million, hopefully this will compete with that), Yoshi's Crafted World (Woolly World had 1.5 million sales on the Wii U, this should beat that handily). And possibly on top of all that Bayonetta 3 (The Bayo 2 port sold about 400,000 copies when the install base was about half it's current size, so a new game should top that easily. I'd like to see it be a million seller, but that may be optimistic). Deus Ex Machina rounds it out as a complete wildcard new IP. Then we have all the 3rd party titles and indies and Town and... yeah, this year is looking to more than easily be packed. Will it outdo last year? Probably not considering we know 2018's Switch sales are the best console sales since the Wii was in it's stride. But it's actually possible with what's on the table.

link3710

EvilLucario

Also something about Animal Crossing is that it attracts a completely different demographic that normally wouldn't buy into the other games, where they won't necessarily want to play Smash or Zelda or Mario.

Then again, people have such stupidly warped perceptions of "big games". People keep saying Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3 will be big games, but we don't know that for certain and past games have sold pretty poorly in relation to their actual critical acclaim. People keep saying that Bloodborne was a reason to buy a PS4 back in 2015, but it didn't sell more than 2-3 million and that's a "big game". Meanwhile, plenty of Switch games trounced that 2-3 million mark earlier than when Bloodborne hit.

People need to take off their gamer goggles and realize not every game should revolve around them in terms of what the market wants.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

FragRed

@EvilLucario "People keep saying Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3 will be big games, but we don't know that for certain and past games have sold pretty poorly in relation to their actual critical acclaim."

These types of games I believe are produced more to satisfy the "hardcore" gamer who already owns the system and keep them happy rather than looking to gain new purchasers of the system. Trying to keep both existing owners happy while looking to get new ones on board is a tricky balancing act I imagine, especially when everyone seems to never be happy with the outcome.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

bluemage1989

@ilikeike I really hope Nintendo push AC to new heights. A new AC game in HD is cool don't get me wrong I'd love it but I would love for them to really push the series forward.

bluemage1989

Grumblevolcano

You can see the scale of Animal Crossing being massive anyway by how quickly "Where's Smash?" turned into "Where's Animal Crossing?" and the meltdown at the Isabelle Smash reveal.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NintendoByNature

I don't even like games like animal crossing or Pokemon but even I know it's going to be a great year. I'm just hoping some of the games I like get dropped. Not a yoshi guy but I'll grab it. I'm hoping for some sort of metroid or zelda to pop up and my year will be set. Excited for luigis mansion though and I'm hoping something else big comes late in the year that interests me.

NintendoByNature

Grumblevolcano

Take this with a mountain of salt but from what we've learnt about multi-game Directs (Normal and Mini) in terms of stuff like timing, 24th January is the last day before the investors meeting that one could happen.

I still think they'll use Mario Kart Tour as their distraction for investors as investors love mobile but if they were to open up more about the upcoming Switch library instead or in addition to Mario Kart Tour then a Direct Mini on the 24th may happen.

Grumblevolcano

TheAwesomeBowser

@Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano wrote:

...but if they were to open up more about the upcoming Switch library instead or in addition to Mario Kart Tour then a Direct Mini on the 24th may happen.

I think you may be right.

Own up to Joy-Con Drift, Nintendo. We all know it's your fault

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic