Forums

Topic: Next Nintendo Direct?

Posts 281 to 300 of 1,121

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano I feel it kinda disappointing that you look at the PS4 and Xbox One and you see big games in the first 3 months of the year, granted most are third party titles, but they are still big and hyped up titles. Then you look at Nintendo and you see some third party ports, a 6 year old Wii U Mario port though it seems to be doing pretty well, and Yoshi which I haven't seen enough of to decide whether it's a game for me. Though based on Woolley World I am expecting it isn't. But it all just feels like a big come down.

A January Direct going all in on some big games further into the year such as Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion 3 and the odd big surprise such as Metroid Prime Trilogy HD would have been a big help in keeping the hype alive.

ENGAGE VG: www.engagevg.com

nintendobynature

Call me crazy but i just don't think they can go all the way to the end of March with no first party games. There has to be something dropping in February. Eshop exclusive is my best which is fine but still some thing needs to drop.

nintendobynature

ilikeike

@nintendobynature That's another reason I think that there has to be a Direct either next week or early February. I can't imagine they'll let February go on without any sort of major release. Plus, they gotta keep that momentum going, and let fans/investors know what their plans are for the year.

Mario Galaxy is ten years old, and now I feel old.

nintendobynature

@ilikeike exactly. I can't imagine they'll ignore next month completely. Nintendo suprises me quite often. Good or bad. But this would take The cake if nothing gets announced or released late this month or early next..

nintendobynature

Dezzy

To be fair, even if they don't announce anything now, Smash Bros->3 months->Yoshi->2 months->Fire Emblem is not that bad. Although I was hoping 2019 would be kind of extreme like 2017 was.

Converted from Sony to Nintendo during 7th gen and never looked back.

troy258

If they would drop any game in february it would just be overshadowed. Games like far cry new dawn, jump force, dead or alive 6, metro exodus are all releasing on the 15th of february. Anthem is releasing on the 22. We still have trials rising on the 12 and steins gate elite on the 19th. So as a switch owner we still have something to play although these games may be a bit more niche. And don't you all have a backlog of games? I still need to finish 4-5 jrpg's on my switch. But I can understand that if you really only play first party games the start is a bit underwhelming. Super mario bros u deluxe isn't exciting for the people who already owned a Wii U and travis strikes again is a where people are divided if it's actually good or not.

troy258

Pluto14

@nintendobynature I also think that there will be a direct at the end of this month or in the first half of february. But that's purely based on the fact that they need to announce new games for 2019 asap, and the fact that they need to give the release date for Piranha Plast in ssbu.

Pluto14

DannyBoi

Will the direct have already been recorded?

Destiny, justice and retribrution will be mine.

troy258

@Dannyboi It's always prerecored so depending on the date it goes live it could already be recorded.

troy258

Grumblevolcano

@Dezzy Given we've heard nothing on Fire Emblem since E3, something like Daemon X Machina seems more likely for May.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

nintendobynature

Yea im in agreement with @GyroZeppeli . They shouldn't be concerned with other platform release dates for games. If something good comes to switch, people will buy it regardless of what is being released on other platforms. Heck, as bad as i want to play re2, I opted for nsmbu deluxe..granted it's not apples to apples in terms of gameplay. But it shows people are willing to opt to play something on switch due to the convenience factor. Not to mention as bad as i want to play re2.. I'll just wait for the other 3 re games that are coming to switch instead of 2. Sorry for the long winded response I was trying to say drop some thing in February and it'll sell

nintendobynature

nintendobynature

@Pluto14 I'm in total agreement with you. Not just because i want one this month but because i just cant seen them waiting til feb

nintendobynature

bluemage1989

I feel that the chances of a mini Direct to kick off the new year are kind of out of the window now but i do hope they have some sort of plan in place to bring out a bigger direct in the near future. I kinda feel that Nintendo had so much momentum going in to the new year that having nothing to say eases things up when they could have capitalised the most on that momentum. I do like how they have played with expectations a little bit as everyone was assuming there would be something based on previous dates but yeah i think a January Direct might not have been the best time to do so. There is also the possibility that Nintendo just dont have anything interesting to say and know that an under whelming Direct would do more damage than no Direct at all.

SW 6041 0289 6234

Currently Playing:

Switch: Super Smash Bros: Ultimate, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Arms and Mario Odyssey.

N64: Top Gear Rally.

Mega Drive: Streets of Rage 1, 2 and 3.

SNES: F Zero and Donkey Kong Country.

Grumblevolcano

@bluemage1989 The Game Awards plays a role into expectations too, it was very tame on the Nintendo front last year. You had Joker in Smash, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and a few multiplatform games that were later delayed only on Switch. A lot of the January Direct begging in 2018 was a result of EA leaking that there would be a January Direct, not so much that there needed to be one as Game Awards 2017 set up the year better.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

ilikeike

There's another consideration that I think should force Nintendo into holding some sort of direct this month: their investors. IIRC, there will be an investors meeting on the 31st, and if Nintendo has no dated games for next quarter aside from Yoshi by that time, investors aren't going to be happy. 2019's release schedule is looking pretty vague right now, with only one first party game and a handful of third-party ports having concrete dates. If Nintendo wants to paint a good picture for their investors, they'd best make some bigger announcements soon.

IceClimbers

@Grumblevolcano Strongly disagree about the Game Awards being tame. Marvel and Joker in Smash were far bigger announcements than Bayonetta. Also there hasn't been an officially confirmed delay for any of those multiplatform games.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

troy258

@GyroZeppeli Labo is for a whole other audience, it's more for kids and god of war is mature rated. Torna was standalone dlc and isn't really a new game. A physical release of a game in february won't happen because there is not enough time to market it. A digital release is still possible but It won't be a firsty party game. Ninjala may still be possible...

troy258

ilikeike

@IceClimbers I second this. The Game Awards was huge because it showed how the Switch is finally being taken seriously as a console alongside Xbox and Playstation. When was the last time that huge, highly-anticipated multiplatform games were announced to come out on Nintendo consoles alongside the other main platforms?
Not to mention that Marvel Ultimate Alliance was a massive surprise announcement that will doubtless be huge once it releases, and Joker in Smash is insane. The show really boded well for 2019 all in all.

GyroZeppeli

@troy258 Torna told an entirely different story and had a separate release, so it really was a new game. Plus, Nintendo really shouldn’t care about releases on their platforms. You said LABO was a different market, so why doesn’t this apply to all of Nintendo’s first party games?

Here’s another example: Spyro and Let’s Go, both remakes, released three days apart from each other. Despite this, Let’s Go was one of the fastest selling Switch games. Also, both appeal to pretty much the same audience.

A bizarre musical mashup filled with Yes, Queen, and some other things.

Please notify me if you want to add me on Switch before sending a request. It makes my life easier.

Change My Mind: Johnny is the best JoJo.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6148-2681-7704 | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic