Forums

Topic: Next Nintendo Direct?

Posts 2,281 to 2,300 of 15,474

link3710

@Dezzy @Grumblevolcano

Decided to test that theory by looking at the number of titles Nintendo published (not devloped) per year:

2013 - 31 games
2014 - 29 games
2015 - 30 games
2016 - 32 games
2017 - 33 games
2018 - 28 games
2019 - 19 games
2020 - 5 games (as of Today)

Early 2017 - Wii U releases had already ended, Switch begins
Late 2018 - 3DS Development Canned after Luigi's Mansion and Mario & Luigi flops

I'm thinking the 3DS was exactly the issue. My guess is that they planned on making budget titles like remakes for 3DS all through 2019 and possibly into 2020, and suddenly had to scrap or retrofit all those plans, leading to their significant drop in output.

EDIT: Not to mention the loss of several 3DS teams from the last generation that couldn't make the leap to HD, with both Skip Ltd and AlphaDream gone off the top of my head.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

Youre-A-Kid-Now

Looks like not this week

Haiku:

Nintendo Direct
We need there to be one soon
Please Nintendo... Please

Grumblevolcano

@link3710 Yeah, I'd imagine 3DS for 2019/2020 would've been something like:

• Fire Emblem Genealogy of the Holy War or Fire Emblem The Binding Blade (remake using Echoes engine)
  • Link's Awakening (remake using ALBW engine, moved to Switch with different engine)
  • Super Metroid or Metroid Fusion (remake using Samus Returns engine)
  • Mario & Luigi Partners in Time (remake with extra side mode like the other 2 Mario & Luigi remakes using same engine)
  • Super Mario 3D World (port)
  • Paper Mario N64 or TTYD (remake using Sticker Star engine)
  • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (remake using Super Mystery Dungeon engine, moved to Switch with different engine)
  • Kirby Return to Dreamland (port)

Came up with the list just by looking at existing 3DS games as it's likely that for example the GC Luigi's Mansion came to 3DS because Dark Moon was already on 3DS so same engine could be used.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

TuVictus

I'm not one to usually care about how long it's been since the last direct, but I am looking at the 2020 release schedule and DO want to know what Nintendo has up their sleeves for us this year. Animal Crossing is fun and all, but I would like to know what else I can expect from the EAD teams

TuVictus

tzahn

Of course I'd like to know what's coming too, but I'm old enough to remember waiting (im)patiently for the July issue of Nintendo Power every year to find out what was announced at E3 the month prior. It was a different world back then.

Love anything Zelda. Most other Ninty franchises too! Purposely vague...

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7039-2998 | Nintendo Network ID: tzahn88

link3710

@Grumblevolcano That list seems pretty accurate. We heard quite a few rumors about scrapped 3DS titles after all, and I'm wondering if more were real than we realized. Link's Awakening having been planned as 3DS seems most likely true since it was leaked in... 2017 I want to say as that, and the rumors of another FE remake were strong. PMD starting on a console with a remake is odd, so I'll agree that was likely 3DS originally as well.

What's more interesting is that Nintendo so far has been getting the feedback that 3DS style games still sell on Switch, at least from Link's Awakening. If Mystery Dungeon sells well too, we might see them bring more of the small scale experiences that have become homeless out alongside their big titles.

link3710

DannyBoi

So the leakers could be wrong. I don't think we are getting a direct this month. They may go without a direct until E3. Too late for an announcement now.

Destiny, justice and retribrution will be mine.

Bucky

They probably decided to stop doing Directs to stick it to the leakers

Bucky

WaffleKnight

@DannyBoi It surprises me that there hasn't been an announcement yet. I was banking on an announcement either today or yesterday. The prospect of complete radio silence until E3 concerns me.

Edited on by WaffleKnight

Verbose edgelord.

Playing NO MAN'S SKY.

IceClimbers

You're assuming Nintendo even ends up going to E3. There's a chance they don't thanks to coronavirus.

That being said I'm sure the plan was always for a March Direct

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

link3710

@DannyBoi @WaffleKnight

I'll say that's almost certainly untrue. Given the ratings, Xenoblade Chronicles DE will likely be out before E3, which I can't imagine won't come up in a direct. Additionally, any games for June and probably July need to be announced before E3 as well. Plus we have a number of ratings leaks suggesting stuff like Bioshock collection is launching pre-E3.

I'm still on April 1st for the direct, still saying them having one in February makes no sense. March is a maybe, but we'll definitely have one before June. There is currently a grand total of 4 games with release dates post-March between all third party and first party. Do you really believe that a system that's averaging dozens of games a month at the moment is going to have nothing to announce til E3?

link3710

Dezzy

IceClimbers wrote:

That being said I'm sure the plan was always for a March Direct

I'd have thought they'd want it as far away from the Animal Crossing launch as possible though. That's why I really thought it'd be Feb. That way they have 3 weeks to just focus on Animal Crossing promotion.

It's surely got to be before Animal Crossing launch though. If they leave it any later than March, they might as well just start putting PS4 adverts for Resident Evil 3 and Final Fantasy 7 up on the Nintendo channel.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

IceClimbers

@link3710 I just checked and you're right, there's really only 4 games with specific release dates post-March: Disaster Report 4, Trials of Mana, Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 4, Wonderful 101 Remastered. Then there's Minecraft Dungeons with a generic "April 2020" release window. That's it.

I really hope Panzer Dragoon Remake is a Q2 title.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

link3710

@IceClimbers Yeah, it wasn't hyperbole surprisingly enough, and we only got one of those games dated today. Whatever's happening post Q1 we don't know, and given all the issues going on with supplies worldwide, it's probably not going to all go as planned.

Also, people are panicking because they removed the link to the Nintendo Direct section on the Nintendo of America website. Which is weird I guess, and relevant here possibly.

link3710

FragRed

@link3710 Apparently that link is now back on the site. But yeah people are losing their minds over the lack of a Direct. If what is happening surrounding the Coronavirus is affecting Nintendo's plans then hardware shortages will certainly be their main focus for the time being, that makes sense especially given they were hoping to sell a large number of units with the launch of Animal Crossing.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Anti-Matter

Today is 27 February 2020 here.
When GameFreak will reveal the mysterious Mystic Pokemon ?

Anti-Matter

Grumblevolcano

There you go, no Direct announcement at 10pm UK time either so the rumour of 2 Directs in February is false. There's only 1 (Animal Crossing on the 20th).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

neogyo

I didn't go too far back into this thread, but I, like many others thought the 27th would've been the perfect day for a Direct.. with still no announcement of it being so it's not looking like it's happening now is it. Dag ok. Really hoping for one in early March. I feel like the panic for not having one yet isn't necessary, but it is sort of odd to me that they wouldn't want to reveal anything for Q2 and beyond yet.. Nintendo gonna be Nintendo tho. At least we got island life to look forward to.

nintendo is good for the soul

GameOtaku

@Grumblevolcano
It could be a surprise direct. You know it just shows up on the normal channels without warning. The smash reveal was recorded in November, so it would also be reasonable to think they already have one recorded. It doesn't have to be live.

Or possibly they had one recorded but a port of a certain game may have been recently agreed to come to switch and they wanted to rerecord it with the news as a major headline!

Edited on by GameOtaku

GameOtaku

Grumblevolcano

The general Direct drought has gotten so far that someone created a Direct level in Mario Maker 2.

Grumblevolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic