Forums

Topic: Next Nintendo Direct?

Posts 1,281 to 1,300 of 15,817

sixrings

This is what happens when Nintendo doesn't show up when they were supposed to show up. Nintendo fans forced to beg for a direct.

sixrings

Ninja84

Third party support could also be going down because the focus will be on developing for the New platforms coming holiday season next year. I’m still Hoping for a strong year but beginning to have my doubts.

Ninja84

Ninja84

@sixrings
Haha, yeah that was a complete show..

Edited on by Eel

Ninja84

Dezzy

Ninja84 wrote:

Third party support could also be going down because the focus will be on developing for the New platforms coming holiday season next year. I’m still Hoping for a strong year but beginning to have my doubts.

The number of AAA ports from western devs will definitely decrease from now on. But they'll still get quite a lot of third party exclusives, especially from Japan-focused devs.
Companies like Square Enix probably regard the Switch as one of their main sources of revenue at this point.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

link3710

@Ninja84 @Dezzy Probably not quite yet. Don't forget, if history is anything to go by a lot of major devs are just now getting dev kits for PS5/XBSX, or still won't for another 3-6 months. Games take years to make, which is why the first year or two are always relatively barren. Nintendo bucked the trend by getting kits out earlier than usual, and the first year was still empty compared to subsequent years. Not to mention that last gen ports on Switch are still going to generate better profit margins than titles on systems with a tiny install base for some time. I'd wager we'll see support really start to go down come late 2021, around when the Switch is turning 5. But if ports are still selling well enough, we might just see companies continue them, since it's easy money.

Plus, It's not like there's not plenty on the table, Ubi has a ton of old AC/Splinter Cell, there're the Arkham titles from WB. Bethesda has Fallout and Dishonored, vs. Capcom and Dead Rising from Capcom, Panzer Dragoon, Super Monkey Ball, Shenmue and Yakuza from Sega, etc.

link3710

sixrings

@link3710 so we should continue to be excited about buying old ps3 360 ports when xbox series x is out which is backwards compatible. At some point I'd think people would wake up and realize buying these games at higher prices just to play portable doesn't make much sense. People's backlogs are so big they are buying more games than they can play so what is the point.

sixrings

link3710

@sixrings Whether you're excited or not is up to you. I'd be super excited to finally get my hands on the Ezio Trilogy for example, since they're the only titles I haven't played yet. Panzer Dragoon 2 remake probably won't be out until 2021 after all, so that's another one I'm excited for. Sega's hinted they might remake the original Super Monkey Ball, something a lot of people want. Fallout 3/4/New Vegas would make a lot of people happy (not me in particular but). And a lot of fighting games will likely continue to see new titles come due to ease of scaling down.

Not every game is for every person, and maybe you won't want any of those ports. But the fact of the matter is, I think the money involved means they'll keep coming, whether they excite you or not.

link3710

sixrings

@link3710 that's fine. I'm just guessing there's going to be less people excited going forward especially with the new systems coming out. If less people are excited which means less people actually buy there will be less games ported. It's pretty simple.

You know one of my biggest problems with the switch which they have been able to get away with because the systems been so hot is the prices of everything. Traditionally portable systems cost less than home consoles. The switch costs more than a ps4 or xbox one. And traditionally portable games are cheaper as well. However on the switch the game prices are the same as home console games. I get that it's a hybrid but it's powered as a portable. If the console is going to be full prices could they games at least get the portable price treatment.

sixrings

LzWinky

Some of you speak of the video game market as if there’s only one of them. Nintendo has its audience, and it will do just fine next gen

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

sixrings

@LzWinky that's true. However Nintendo fans are acting like it's all doom and gloom for the power consoles and Nintendo is going back to their 80s dominance

sixrings

rallydefault

@sixrings
Switch IS a home console. And a portable console. You're insane if you think they're gonna price their games...what... somewhere in the middle just because you deem it more on a handheld level in terms of power? What are you comparing against? The 3DS? The average smart phone? There are no other dedicated handhelds currently in production to make that judgment call against (well, no others with user bases of any consequence). The Switch runs many of the games I can play on my PS4, some even now releasing simultaneously. That means something.

I haven't participated in this discussion so far, but "doom and gloom" for power consoles... I don't know about that. But I do think the power game is nearing its end. The lines are so blurred these days and straight-up power devices are becoming ubiquitous while also (and almost paradoxically) becoming obsolete. Power is everywhere. It no longer means much because "low" power these days is incredibly high. I can buy a gpu for my rig for under 200 bucks that will blow anything out of the water at 1080p.

The Switch showed people are willing to go "back" to a console with lower power if it has great games and a unique format. The power consoles are just running a sprint to a brick wall. When power is everywhere, the only thing that matters is gameplay and originality. I, for one, am the least excited for the new gens of Sony and MS than I've ever been. I'm just so sick of the games that have tended to be on those platforms for the last couple generations, with just a few exceptions. I don't know. I need more than just ultra-realistic blood sacrifices to get stoked for the next Xbox this time around.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

kkslider5552000

I actually agree to a point. In the sense that there are a number of games that are 60 bucks that just shouldn't be. DKC Tropical Freeze costing more than the several year old Wii U version being the most obvious example. But that's arguably true on other consoles too. Though the real problem is that companies often also follow that logic nowadays and decide every major game must be a mediocre multiplayer or pseudo-multiplayer game with 100 hours of mediocre content.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

sixrings

Well the switch games should be able to be made with less people as the hardware is older so people are more familiar with it. And ports for the most part, either excepted, are relatively drag and drop. So I don't see why the games in Canada are 79.99 when 3DS games were 39.99. If you want to meet in the middle at 59.99 sure. Nintendo is rightly charging people what they can get away with. I just don't know if they can continue to get away with it 12 months from now.

sixrings

sixrings

@rallydefault plenty of people in here insist when I complain about the hardware specs that the switch is hybrid in name only and primarily a portable console. I use mine exclusively docked but people make it sound like I'm in the minority.

sixrings

sixrings

Hypercharged unboxed in 2020 is 24.99 Canadian while it was 16.99 on steam in 2017. I don't understand the switch tax.

sixrings

link3710

@sixrings Traditionally portable consoles (at least from Nintendo) are also significantly underpowered. The Switch has cutting edge portable hardware (at least at launch), more similar to the Vita. Which was only 200$ and sold at a loss... but then they overcharged the memory cards that were required (among other things) to make up that difference.

There are certainly overpriced games on the system, no doubt, but the system itself actually makes sense in terms of price when you consider the components that go into making it. For an easy example, the 3DS had 128 MB of RAM, well below other consoles and PCs even when it launched that were already in the 2-4 GB range. But the Switch has 4GB of RAM, which is up to modern standards (even if 8 was probably par by launch) Also, it comes with two bluetooth controllers and a docking station for accessories, something no portable has in the past.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

Ninja84

@link3710
I would love to see Ubisoft port some of the other franchises like Farcry, Splinter cell and the division. There could be a januar Direct that Will put all my concernes to shame🤞🏻

Ninja84

rallydefault

@sixrings
I see.

I don't know. This board has argued over the cost of ported games for the many years I've been here, and neither side has really come up with a good point, in my opinion. One side says, basically, "It's been on other systems, therefore the value should go down" as if that's a self-evident thing, and the other side says "It's still a game on this system just as much as it was on the previous system - why has its value magically diminished?"

I think it goes to a deeper issue of how you view art/entertainment. Do you also agree the cost of music and movies and books should go down the older they are or at least the more they are reproduced? When Lord of the Rings, for example, is re-released with new covers and all that, should the price go down because, hey, those books have been out before, man? Does "newness" in art/entertainment necessarily denote a higher value? Does art/entertainment have a shelf life before it should be put into some kind of bargain bin?

Like I said, still waiting for convincing points on either side. In the meantime, like you said, Nintendo's a company that loves money (as companies do), and they will charge as much as they can get away with. And we shouldn't blame them for that. If you do, it's the classic "hate the game" situation. Most gaming companies do it.

One thing I will say about what you said, though: You can generally find games cheaper on Steam (and PC in general). PC versions of games are usually cheaper, I find. I don't know if that's because of the more open nature of PC gaming, the many storefronts that compete, or whatever. But yea.

rallydefault

sixrings

@rallydefault yes trying to port over a xbox one or ps4 game should cost a ton because the switch wasn't designed for those specs and everything needs to be reworked. But ps3, 360, and Wii u games should be relatively easy to port.

sixrings

rallydefault

@sixrings
Sure, I agree with that assumption. But what I'm getting at is the underlying points. So are you saying that a port's cost should be correlative to the difficulty level of the programming? And for the record, I'm not saying you're "right" or "wrong" regardless of your answer. I'm just saying we need to be uniform in the criteria we apply to declaring games too pricey.

rallydefault

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic