Forums

Topic: Nintendo Entertainment System - Nintendo Switch Online

Posts 221 to 240 of 289

OX47

ReaderRagfish wrote:

My best memories of Super Mario Bros 3 were actually on the GBA, my friend who I sat next to on the school bus would always bring his GBA and Mario 3 and every day on the way to school we'd take turns playing through levels.

It was so much fun, but we never did beat the game, we were about halfway through world 7 when the school year ended, and the next year he moved away. I later got my own copy and beat the whole thing in a week or two. Still probably my favorite 2D Mario.

I played super mario bros deluxe at school with my friend. It was at the end of ninth grade and we were supposed to be studying for the finals. Instead we spent it playing super mario bros for super players. At the very end of school that year i beat it. Hard to believe that was almost 20 years ago.

SW-3252-5596-2904

Euler

The Wii U Virtual Console download of Super Mario Advance 4 is the definitive version of Super Mario Bros. 3. It has all of the eReader levels, most of which were exclusive to Japan.

Euler

toiletduck

@ReaderRagfish I couldn't finish any game in a single sitdown when I was little. I remember telling my mom not to touch the console for the night if I was far into SMB3 or Mega Man 2 with a lot of lives, so that I could try and finish the next day. I was so disappointed when I got home the next day after school and saw the red power light blinking...

Edited on by toiletduck

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

HobbitGamer

@toiletduck haha, same here! It wasn’t until Super Mario Land and Kirby’s Dreamland on GB that I could finish a game in one sitting. In high school I got in trouble for sneaking into the living room at midnight to finish Starfox 64. My reason to my annoyed parents? “I was afraid it would get turned off and reset me”

I’ve gotten three dungeons done in Zelda I now, which is the furthest I’ve ever been.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

gcunit

ReaderRagfish wrote:

My best memories of Super Mario Bros 3 were actually on the GBA, my friend who I sat next to on the school bus would always bring his GBA and Mario 3 and every day on the way to school we'd take turns playing through levels.

It was so much fun, but we never did beat the game, we were about halfway through world 7 when the school year ended, and the next year he moved away.

The feels

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

toiletduck

HobbitGamer wrote:

I’ve gotten three dungeons done in Zelda I now, which is the furthest I’ve ever been.

I've recently booted up ALTTP on N2DS VC, but I got stuck quite fast in the Dark World. I still have a hard time with games like that from the pre '00-era. I finished ALBW easily; the difference in difficulty is huge. I'm still undecided on whether I start Zelda 1 one of these days or try to finish ALTTP first.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

shadow-wolf

Does anyone know if you can get rid of the bar at the bottom telling you what +, -, and Zr/Zl do? I know it's tiny, but I'd prefer if they gave those instructions on the sides of the screen (where nothing is there anyway) and expand the picture a little bit more.

Also, Zelda is way better than I expected it to be. It's actually kind of fun, as long as you follow a walkthrough so you're not lost for hours. With suspend points the game is much more manageable as well.

shadow-wolf

HobbitGamer

@shadow-wolf Right now there isn’t a way. It’s part of the “border”. I wish it would only appear when either unsupported buttons were pressed, on when input is idle for 10 seconds.
Zelda I is fantastic, this is the first time I’ve actually gone past one dungeon.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

gcunit

I'd never played Zelda 1 before today. Booted it and started a game. Saw a black door/entrance nearby. Thought to myself "Do you think I'm stupid Miyamoto? There's no way I'm going in there until I've got myself a weapon" and headed right. Then spent about 5 minutes endlessly running, trying to dodge enemies that I had no way of fighting. Died a few times and eventually found my way back to the beginning screen. Entered the black door/entrance. "I see" I thought to myself, amongst other, expletive-ridden, things.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

GameOtaku

I can't believe most of you are having so much trouble with the original Zelda to need a guide. Heck 4 labyrinths are within spitting distance of each other close to where you start from.

Here's a useful tip that I've hardly heard anyone use. The old man in level 2 labyrinth plainly says "dodongo dislikes smoke " and while bombs are his weakness it's the smoke the bombs produce a one hit kill! Place a bomb ahead of its path so the smoke hits him, and he will stay in place and you can strike him with your sword for a one hit kill saving money and needless grinding for bombs, especially in later labyrinths where you fight 3 at once.

@gcunit
Manuals are such wonderful things to have. The premise is simple explore find labyrinths find triforce and defeat ganon!

Edited on by GameOtaku

GameOtaku

HobbitGamer

@GameOtaku I figured that out by accident when the lvl 2 was the first one I did. I thought “You’re stupid, old man! Of course they don’t like smoke when they eat a bomb!” Then a bomb missed its mouth and my sword went for it anyway. Tadaa! Now I listen to my elders.

@gcunit That is amazing.

#MudStrongs

Eel

My first time playing Zelda 1 was on the GBA.

You can save at will without a second controller (which would be kinda hard on the GBA!), and it has a suspend feature, so I guess it was an excellent way to play it back then.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Xyphon22

Zelda 1 is my all-time favorite game. I've been playing the other games because I've played it so much I didn't feel a need to again, but then I still started playing it today. I've probably played that game more than any other in my life, and it still never gets old or boring. Except for maybe Level 6. I hate Level 6.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

JoyBoy

Remember seeing that NES BOTW prototype. I’d pay decent money if they ever decided to make a game from that in that style.

I was kinda surprised how much I liked the original Zelda when I played it for the first time a few years ago on the 3ds(with use of saves states here and there I have to admit).
It’s so simplistic in nature (in a good way) and fast paced that I really prefer it to AlttP, even with it’s better graphics and sound. The latter is kind of slow in comparison and quite cumbersome at times. The fact I couldn’t get myself to finish the latter speaks volumes I think. The original has this instant gratification, which is maybe the best way I can describe it, that combined with the freedom you have, no restrictions etc, is why I think I liked it the way I did.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

EvilLucario

I mean Zelda 1 is literally open world for NES standards, which was why it was so popular in the first place. The popularity of it is why Link Between Worlds experimented with more non-linear progression with its dungeons and Breath of the Wild went really far into that open world format again. People keep saying BotW is a radical change as a Zelda never seen before, but really it's just Zelda 1 turned up to 11 with some stuff still taken from traditional 3D Zelda. Not so radical, but to be fair it's also not that conservative because it's still changing the format of 3D Zelda back to Zelda 1's structure.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

shadow-wolf

@HobbitGamer Okay that makes sense, thanks for letting me know!

@HobbitGamer @gcunit Both of you may want this: https://www.ign.com/wikis/the-legend-of-zelda/Preparation . This is my first time playing Zelda 1 and I found it extremely helpful. It is part of a walkthrough from IGN that I found very useful, but honestly you only need to read the page I linked to (the "Preparation" step). That will tell you how to easily get two more heart containers and the White Sword (a more powerful sword), which would make the rest of your playthrough much more fun and less tedious. The person who wrote this walkthrough was kind enough to describe other ways to strengthen yourself (another heart container and a way to increase your defense) but they seem to take a lot of grinding to achieve, so I didn't get them. The game is quite manageable with just 5 hearts and the White Sword so I recommend you both do the same so you get to the dungeons much faster.

Also make sure to download the Overworld map that this kind person linked to at the top of that webpage. That tells you all you need to know to reach each dungeon. Once you have 5 hearts and the White Sword the game becomes a lot of fun as you simply rely on the map and figure everything out yourself.

EDIT: Turns out there is an easy way to increase your defense and get the 6th heart container — see what @Yosheel said down below (the Blue Ring is what halves the damage you receive).

Edited on by shadow-wolf

shadow-wolf

Eel

My favorite prep step, besides getting the white sword, is maxing my money in the money making game that's hidden next to the starting point, and then buying the blue ring and the big shield.

I usually do it with in-game saves, since save states feel kinda cheaty, but it's kinda cumbersome to save in the switch version since you need to quit the game to add a second controller.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

shadow-wolf

@Yosheel Eh Save states streamline the whole process so I'm a big fan. I'm not a fan of starting off at the very beginning (with all my rupees, but still) so I prefer save states over using the actual save feature. But what is so cumbersome about saving? After you lose you have the option to save, right?

Also I heard the Blue Ring makes your tunic white. Idk but I kind of prefer to have classic green tunic Link as I run through the game haha, so that was another reason against getting it for me. It also seems to make the game easier, and personally starting off with 5 hearts + white sword was good enough for me. For others though who are encountering difficulty, it could definitely be worth getting.

shadow-wolf

Eel

Well you see, to max your money you need to save before betting (/after winning).

You don't want to go die every time you win the money making game, that would be silly (since you need to win quite a few times). You instead pause the game, and press Up+A in the second controller, to save the game manually.

Since the money making game is right next to the starting point, you just need to take a short walk to try again after a failed attempt.

It's really no different from creating a save state before entering the money making game, but it just feels a bit more "official" if you use the in-game saving.

The blue ring is easily my favorite item in the game, if only because it makes you bluish instead of green. The extra defense is very much welcome, too, since this game is not exactly a walk in the park.

Most players will need the extra defense.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.