Forums

Topic: Nintendo Entertainment System - Nintendo Switch Online

Posts 141 to 160 of 289

FaeKnight

If I can't read the language, then naturally I'm not gonna like trying to read it. Because I can't read it

It's literally been over 30 years since I last played Legend of Zelda 1. About the only things I remembered about the game was "bomb walls even if it doesn't look like there's something there" and "some trees can be burned down". Beyond that, I'm having to look for everything all over again. Not that I found everything in the game originally. I'd forgotten where dungeons were, and still can't find dungeon 2. I'll find it eventually, but until then...

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

HobbitGamer

You're both wet blankets. Sopping wet, moldy blankets
I can't remember anything from Zelda 1. I just took a quick break from drafting a report and booted it up, wandered around for screens just swinging the sword haha.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

FaeKnight

Which is what people did back in the day, too.

FaeKnight

Guovssohas

Has anyone experienced quite significant slowdowns on any of the games? I got pretty big slowdowns on some levels in SMB3, which was kinda weird to me, this being such a simple game.

Guovssohas

chardir

Well, Zelda wasn't entirely obtuse. It came with a printed map and the manual showed you how to find the first two dungeons, so playing without those isn't really the authentic experience.

Friend Code: SW-1014-2011-3950 (Switch name: Dii)
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: LMR-JBK-RWG

OfNullAndVoid

@FaeKnight Time to grab some graph paper and map that game! Of course, with current tech, I'm sure there's other ways, but the nostalgia in me just screams for graph paper. Also, as I mentioned elsewhere, I always mistake dungeon 3 for dungeon 2. Fortunately that's when I remember where dungeon 2 is, which I finished last night.

I also managed to find a site with scanned NES manuals. I laughed when I saw the River City Ransom manual mention: "You can also jump up onto a weapon the enemy is holding", and "When an enemy is standing on a weapon, you can pick up both of them at the same time". And then there's the Human Totem Pole... Now I can't wait to play it once I get home and try out those tactics!

Also, out of curiosity I checked out a video of the C64 version of Ghosts & Goblins, since I had seen a playthrough of the NES version, and I didn't recall any of the later levels. Turns out, the C64 version only had the first 3 levels, and didn't feature any other weapons (you always had the lance), so I never got to play the full version. I dread to try the NES version though

Switch FC: SW-2457-0400-2143

FaeKnight

I'm not seeing any unexpected slowdowns. Expected sprite flickering, aye that I do see. But that was due to a limitation of the hardware and how games were rendered.

FaeKnight

OfNullAndVoid

On the note of comparing C64 to NES versions, Donkey Kong on the C64 did have all 4 levels. I remember playing the NES version for the first time and wondering where the 3rd level went

OfNullAndVoid

@ReaderRagfish Not sure, but from what I can find it was because of cartridge size limitations when it first appeared.

Illusion

@Guovssohas I did. Whenever I picked up the white throwable bricks had slowdown until I threw it.
Not gamebreaking, but weird all the same.

Illusion

1UP_MARIO

Something for the future but without gamecube as that seems unlikely

Untitled

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Guovssohas

@Alikan Yeah exactly, i'm pretty sure those slowdowns weren't there on the original game.

Guovssohas

FaeKnight

N64 seems unlikely too.

And you know, they probably were in the original game. I remember some noticable slowdowns in a few games on my NES back in the 90's. It was never enough to make the game unplayable, but at times the system would struggle with a few games.

FaeKnight

HobbitGamer

The slowdowns I’ve seen are there in the carts. Same as playing Kirby’s Adventure on every VC version. I know those Kirby slowdowns by heart, having worked them into my play on the GB.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Quarth

Here's my opinion:

• Most of the sport games sucks. Especially the baseball and the american football ones. Please give us Punch-Out!! The wrestling game seems OK though.
  • Even though I've played them before, Zelda, SMB 1 and 3 still are masterpieces.
  • Gradius is really cool.
  • Double Dragon and River City Ransom are really fun.
  • The puzzle games Dr. Mario and Yoshi are more fun on GB.
  • Donkey Kong is Donkey Kong. The same goes for Mario Bros. Simple games that are fun for a while, but nothing more than that.
  • Excitebike has aged very well.
  • Ice Climber is underrated.
  • Ballon Fight was a pleasant surprise!
  • Ghosts 'n Goblins is hard as f...

Overall I like it. Even the crappy games have their charm and the online feature is working pretty well. But hopefully they will add more NES games soon and hopefully more of the good ones.

Edited on by Quarth

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

ValhallaOutcast

@Quarth I am sure its different outside of NA but in NA saying Tecmo Bowl sucks is blasphemy

Friend Code SW-4365-4821-7317

Quarth

@ValhallaOutcast It might be that I don't understand american football that much. But I'm not a big sports fan at all, to be honest.

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

HobbitGamer

I’m loving Tecmo Bowl I may play some tonight between the DS test, Fortnite, and Labo 3

#MudStrongs

FaeKnight

I prefer Coach mode in it, but that's multiplayer only in this version. I may have been remembering an SNES version of Tecmo Bowl that had player creation and single player coach mode (as well as play books you could alter to fit your style).

FaeKnight

HobbitGamer

Yeah I think it was Super Tecmo. Loved that coach mode.

#MudStrongs

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.