Forums

Topic: Nintendo Entertainment System - Nintendo Switch Online

Posts 121 to 140 of 289

FaeKnight

Ice Hockey is fun, but the other sports games tend to be meh to me. And Pro Wrestling, I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. I won a match, but no clue what I was doing.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

OfNullAndVoid

FaeKnight wrote:

I won a match, but no clue what I was doing.

Speaking of no clue, I didn't even bother to check if any of the games have manuals, I just jumped right in and started playing. Can anyone confirm whether or not the games have manuals along with them?

edit: And, I guess, how to get to them

Edited on by OfNullAndVoid

Switch FC: SW-2457-0400-2143

FaeKnight

In the Suspend menu if you hit X you'll see a button map. But that doesn't tell you what the button does, just what button is what. beyond that, you may have to look up a guide? That said, it's generally easy to figure out the controls. There's only 2 buttons used, usually. Zelda uses 3 (with the - button being select, aka pause)

FaeKnight

HobbitGamer

I couldn't find the manuals anywhere

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

FaeKnight

To be fair though, control descriptions and online versions of the manuals are available if you look.

FaeKnight

HobbitGamer

Nah, we don't need 'em anyway. Besides, everyone knows about the secret Instant Win button, right? You know, the one that shuts off the game thereby destroying everything in that game's world causing you to instantly win against any foe.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

FaeKnight

I thought that was the Instant Lose button, because you quit the field?

FaeKnight

NEStalgia

@EvilLucario @DarthNocturnal Funny. Capcom used to build arcade games designed to shake you down for continuous money. Then they slowly learned how not to do that. Now, we have SFV, MHW, and MvC:Infinite. Funny how you can always go retro!

Zelda II isn't so difficult so much as the technology made the really ambitious design falter in so many areas it became difficult.

Castlevania II is less difficult than it is horribly designed, but with a great concept.

I have to admit those are the two games I'm most awaiting because they are the two games that continue to vex me that I never completed them back in the day. Also, TMNT the game. Please return. I got the grapling and never made it to the pizza shop in the larger city. Forgive me, Konami! I must make ammends all these years later to ease my troubled conscience.

Other than the Capcom Disney games that will likely never return since they're re-releasing most of that in HD, I can't think of much from the NES I feel a need to return to. I loved it in the day, but a lot of it falls into the "good for it's day, but I don't need to do it again" era. Maybe we'll Get Yo Noid and Bayou Billy? Toobin and Little Nemo? They were awesome.

16 bit era, that one we could get lost inside.

NEStalgia

HobbitGamer

Nope, it's definitely Instant Win. And you scream "Royal Rainbow" while you do it!

Instant Lose would be what happened to my SNES Scooby Doo cart. It is the only video game item I have ever abused in almost 30 years of gaming. After my friend and I played it all day just to reach a point of no return without a trap item on the last part of the game, that cartridge had a disciplinary meeting with a cinder block. (We grabbed it as part of a 20 game lot all for $5, soooo...)

It would have been neat to see the manuals for some just for nostalgia's sake, but some admittedly had nothing to write home about anyway.

#MudStrongs

FaeKnight

They often gave the backstory for the game, thus explaining for example why Mario is jumping on turtles, walking mushrooms, and breaking bricks constantly.

FaeKnight

HobbitGamer

I was thinking about things like Tecmo and Tennis, and less about Ninty's games.

#MudStrongs

FaeKnight

Yeah, Tecmo Bowl's controls are weird, and really do need a manual to figure out. Try checking Gamefaqs, the controls are a lot deeper then you'd expect.

FaeKnight

Xyphon22

For the games that are also on the NES Classic, its website has both the original and an electronic manual like what was on the Wii for every game. I used it for Gradius and Ghosts and Goblins, and Tecmo Bowl is on there, too. No Pro Wrestling, though, unfortunately.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

FaeKnight

Pro tip for Ghosts n Goblins... If you have a choice between the lance/dagger you start the game with and bombs... Stick with the lance/dagger. Bombs are more likely to miss enemies, and have trouble hitting things if they're too close. They also have a much shorter range. You definitely want range and predictability when it comes to your weapon.

FaeKnight

HobbitGamer

From a Verge article, accessing the Famicom Online app.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/19/17878236/nintendo-switch-o...

STEP 1: SETTING UP AN ACCOUNT
In order to access the Japanese eShop, you’ll first need a Japan-specific account. To do this, head over to accounts.nintendo.com and create a new account from scratch. There are really only two things you need to do: set your location to Japan and use a different email address from your main account. Once that’s done, you’ll be prompted to create a new profile on your Switch for the new account.

STEP 2: THE JAPANESE ESHOP
Once the account is set up, you’ll then be able to access Nintendo’s Japanese store; all you have to do is select your new Japanese profile when heading to the eShop. From here, things can get a tiny bit tricky because, well, you’ll be navigating a store that’s mostly in Japanese. Luckily, the app you’re looking for is in the very first section of the store under the “new” header. The app is easy to find: the icon is a bright red rectangle with the title “Family Computer: Nintendo Switch Online” and a picture of a pair of gold Famicom controllers on it. (Normally, I’d include a screenshot here to make it easier to find, but, unfortunately, Nintendo doesn’t allow screengrabs in its digital shop.) It’s free to download, which you should go ahead and do right now.

STEP 3: ACCESSING THE FAMICOM APP
After the app is downloaded, open it — but be careful which account you’re using. In order to actually play the games, you’ll need to select a profile associated with a Switch Online subscription. Thankfully, this doesn’t mean you need to sign up for a second subscription for your Japanese profile. Instead, you can still play the Famicom app using a subscription tied to your North American or European Switch account. From there, you’re free to play.

__

@Yosheel @Octane Is there a way to make this post at the top of this topic or something?

#MudStrongs

FaeKnight

Question: Since it's the same set of games for the Japanese version of the app and the Western version of the app, what would be the point in getting the Japanese version specifically?

FaeKnight

HobbitGamer

Mostly the boxart, but some small things like the difficulty for SMB3 or the sound for Zelda I

#MudStrongs

FaeKnight

But if you can't read Japanese, wouldn't Zelda 1 be even harder? I mean, sure the clues are rather cryptic and at times useless. But if you can't read them, they'd be even worse.

FaeKnight

HobbitGamer

I guess so, If you've not played the English one enough to memorize it.
You don't like reading things in languages you can't read?

#MudStrongs

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.