Forums

Topic: Nintendo Entertainment System - Nintendo Switch Online

Posts 101 to 120 of 289

Alantor28

I am enjoying the NES for NSO. I noticed that Super Mario Bros 2 isn't in it. Surely it will be added in a future update in 2019?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6488-5483-0698
PSN: MMX20

Switch Friend Code: SW-6488-5483-0698

FaeKnight

DarthNocturnal wrote:

@FaeKnight

Haha, true. It just seems to happen to me a bit too soon. Which is probably why I don't enjoy them, and thus don't buy them.

Ah, but the more you play such games, the better you become at them. And the better you become, the more difficult they get because you're reaching the harder stages.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

toiletduck

FaeKnight wrote:

DarthNocturnal wrote:

@FaeKnight

Haha, true. It just seems to happen to me a bit too soon. Which is probably why I don't enjoy them, and thus don't buy them.

Ah, but the more you play such games, the better you become at them. And the better you become, the more difficult they get because you're reaching the harder stages.

That's what I find sooo dissatisfying I need to have the feeling that I'm reaching a certain predefined goal (except for sports and multiplayer games like FIFA and Mario Kart).

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

FaeKnight

@toiletduck That's what I find so compelling about puzzle games like Tetris or Yoshi. Their difficulty scales alongside your skill, so they're always a challenge.

FaeKnight

AlexSora89

The launch lineup of the online NES is what I thought it would be - sort of compelling, but let's face it, the whole package stays afloat because of Super Mario Bros. 3 alone.
It's acceptable though, provided the updates (even by one or two games at a time) will be rolled out on a weekly basis. It's hardly too much to ask given the NES library is right there to begin with, not to mention the licensing issues wouldn't be too much of - well - an issue considering we already have Tecmo Bowl, Ghosts & Goblins and River City Ransom.
Also, the SNES has to come out as soon as possible. December would be a good choice for Nintendo to gain even further easy revenues: a Switch with an online subscription doubling as a NES Mini and SNES Mini would kind of sell itself by Christmas.

I don't quite have lots o' loot, because I'm from the Boot.

https://www.nintendolife.com/super-mario-maker/users/AlexSora89
(Currently seeking Stars.)

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6287-1558 | Nintendo Network ID: AlexSora89

FaeKnight

@AlexSora89 You do realize they released the schedule for games for the rest of the year, right? It's 3 a month starting in October, so far only NES games. The hope is they start including SNES next year, but that might need to be it's own app as well. And there are a ton of NES games they can release, both good and bad. As well as a bunch of obscure (now) titles that were decent.

FaeKnight

HobbitGamer

Agreed. I know Nintendo isn’t usually pressured by the other Big 2 to change its plans, but you have to wonder if there will be any discussion in the rooms around scaling up the timetable for additional games now that Sony will release a PS Classic during the holiday season.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

AlexSora89

@FaeKnight
Ouch. So it's worse than I thought.
[sighs loudly]
I can now confirm that the overall package has a lot to prove.

Eel

AlexSora89 wrote:

The launch lineup of the online NES is what I thought it would be - sort of compelling, but let's face it, the whole package stays afloat because of Yoshi and Zelda alone.

Fixed that for you.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

FaeKnight

There's a lot of compelling titles in the launch line up, IMO. Most of the sports titles are ones I can happily ignore, but the rest are good games I had fond memories of or good games I'd had no idea existed until now.

FaeKnight

FaeKnight

Is it wrong of me to have a cheeky grin at the thought of kids (and young adults) who grew up in the modern era of lower difficulty and impossible to fail games seeing what kind of nutsoid game difficulty I had to deal with in my childhood?

I mean, even 'easy' games like Super Mario Bros 1 and 3 are a lot harder then most modern games.

FaeKnight

oilercat

8-Bit_Superman wrote:

@Nagi_Nagisa These are also listed in the NA website.
https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/nes/

Thanks for posting this.
I was hoping to see SMB2, as well, I really want Bubble Bobble. Man, that was my favorite as a kid. There used to be a local bar where I live that had an arcade version of it. I can't tell you how many beers I drank & quarters I threw into that machine.

oilercat

AlexSora89

@Yosheel
That legit cracked me up. (It's also true for Zelda.)
As for the pretty eggs bit: it's true. But I also want, you know, the lineup to tell me that I've been right to bet my money on the Online service. Right now I mostly feel like I have spent thirty-five euros, and that's it.

@ReaderRagfish
Eh, I have a long backlog anyway. I say keep 'em coming!

@FaeKnight
As the Italian saying goes, "those who content, enjoy what they get". I still say it's mostly about Mario 3 and Zelda, with eighteen more games (okay, fine - Mario 3, Mario 1, Mario Bros, Donkey Kong and Zelda, with other fifteen games) just tagging along for the ride.

OfNullAndVoid

@FaeKnight Nothing wrong with that Fortunately, nowadays I won't have to bring out my binder with graph paper to map games, but with these NES games I may have to start mapping again! Personally though, I feel it added to the game experience, as though you were an explorer mapping uncharted territories.

Come to think of it, I may actually still have some game notes, though mostly from the Dreamcast/Gamecube. I actually mapped out Wind Waker, and tried to figure out which critters dropped which items for the Chao in Sonic Adventure 2.

Switch FC: SW-2457-0400-2143

FaeKnight

11 of the initial line up were huge hits. The sports games were more of a mixed bag, people either loved them or hated them. Excitabike was commonly considered a good game too. All in all it's a solid lineup. Of course not everyone will enjoy the same types of games. Plus games like Ghosts N Goblins are brutally hard, which is likely to put many people off. It's a great game, but it's brutal. Other games like Yoshi and Ice Climbers are kind of obscure, and were obscure when they came out too. Then again most NES games were obscure. So many got released that there was no way for any given person to keep track of them all.

Super Mario, Donkey Kong, and Zelda everyone knew of and have stood the test of time well. These were the system sellers after all. Other games like Wolverine or Gauntlet, not so much.

FaeKnight

EvilLucario

I'm a big fan of hard games like Zelda II and Castlevania III, but Ghosts 'n Goblins is not fun hard at all.

I swear there is inherent input lag and WAY more framerate issues than even Mega Man, and the level design is boring and just swarmed with hard-hitting annoying enemies. The red devils in particular can kiss my behind. And getting the true ending? Forget it.

Edited on by Eel

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

DarkSim01

After playing some of the games last night, I'll say that while the service isn't perfect and I want more (of course), the software works VERY well. I'm impressed and happy so far.

Add more to give more bang for the buck (and change, that we're paying by month on average) for the service and I'm very happy.

DarkSim01

toiletduck

Ok good to know I can skip Ghosts N Goblins 😉 SMB is a lot of fun! Save states serve as an excellent Game Genie replacement. The game is actually easier than I remember. If only I'd remember the 1up spots I might give a try without or at least fewer save states.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

FaeKnight

@DarthNocturnal A major design pholosophy of the time was "make the game incredibly hard, that way the customer feels they got their money's worth because they can't beat the game in an hour or two (at most). NES games were rather short, if you're good enough at them to not lose all your lives. Super Mario Bros could be beaten in less then half an hour.

In fact, the current world record is beating SMB in 4 minutes, 56 seconds, 245 milliseconds

FaeKnight

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.