Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate

Posts 101 to 120 of 1,843

Haru17

It's easy to overlook, but there is already a Monster Hunter game announced for the west this year: Monster Hunter Stories. Who knows how that plays into Capcom's translation schedule, but the 25th of August is right before Stories' fall release window. It might be a simultaneous launch, Capcom might do a Ubisoft thing of releasing two games in the same franchise for different platforms on the same day, and there is also the possibility that everyone who doesn't import on Switch might be waiting 'til 2018.

NA / EU / PAL Stories' existance also means there is no way a mainline entry like XX isn't coming to the west. Capcom will just have to be careful with the marketing since its the smallest content update from a previous game we've gotten since MonHan was on Playstation.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

FattyWhale_42

So what content can you transfer over from X (Generations)... or more specifically, what doesn't transfer?

I'm trying to figure out what I should do in Generations, so I'm as prepared for the inevitable release of XX as I can be.

FattyWhale_42

Switch Friend Code: SW-4410-3079-4430

JaxonH

@DarthNocturnal
Oh there'll definitely be an upgrade fee. But that'll be good news because it means we won't have to pay full price, so I'm optimistically hoping for an upgrade fee. I understand the consumer point of view and the company's point of view. The consumer point of view is completely unreasonable in demanding free ports of games forever without any compensation, and the company's point of view of charging full price without any incentive is- I won't say it's unreasonable but it's not consumer friendly. The reasonable compromise is an upgrade fee for the company so they still pocket a few bucks, and the consumer isn't having to shell out full price repeatedly. Because when people buy games for a system, they bought it knowing the store page wasn't advertising getting it free for the next 20 years. So it's really not reasonable to expect that when it clearly wasn't part of the terms at time of purchase.

But anyways though, I wouldn't say this very moment has realized the full potential of "glory days", seeing as we are only a few months into the lifespan and only a few games have released- however, there are enough immaculate games in the pipeline releasing in the very near future that, one year from now, I think we will be able to say that we are smack dab in the middle of a brand-new era of glory days.

Obviously that is subject to change- if it turns out FE sucks and Xenoblade is mediocre and Mario is wack, etc, then maybe we'll have to rethink things... but I think the odds of that are pretty slim. Whether it lives up to the height of the golden era is yet to be seen, but even if it doesn't I think the Switch generation will far surpass Wii and Wii U and likely even GameCube and 64 in terms of quality content and consumer satisfaction.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH Given the XB1 backwards compatibility program exists, I don't think the consumer point of view regarding VC is unreasonable. That said I know it won't happen and at best the VC situation will be upgrade fee.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Haru17

@FattyWhale_42 It's not a one-time transfer like Bioware or Telltale games, but rather one that can go to Switch and then back to 3DS. Therefore, like MH3U, everything has to transfer.

@JaxonH Capcom is pushing their luck releasing Monster Hunter 4 as many times, though. It took three games for fourth gen to have as many new monsters as Tri did at launch. Their next game in the series needs to be Monster Hunter 5.

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
I think the Xbox one backwards compatibility program has gone above and beyond, not simply set the standard. They went above and beyond in an effort to gain back consumers and it was a wise move (maybe, Idk the sales figures). And if Nintendo chose to do it I think there is a chance it would benefit them (at a significant guaranteed cost) but I don't feel that it should be expected simply because one company went above and beyond one time. Just like when the Wii U and 3DS was sold and labeled as backward compatible- they went above and beyond what other systems were offering but that didn't mean other fans should then expect it. If another company decided to do it then that's really awesome, but if not, I don't think they've done less than they should have.

Just taking reality into consideration, they would have zero incentive to port games to Switch (VC or otherwise) that released on Wii U, and hand them out free. Not only would they not benefit, it would actually cost them substantially to do so, and for what gain? There's no such thing as a free lunch (-Milton Friedman)

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@Haru17
Ya, I wish they'd do more and add more for sure, MH3U really set the tone as far as added content.

That said, I'll gladly take any MH on Switch right now with open arms. After MHXX though, I will certainly have my sights set on MH5

FattyWhale_42

Haru17 wrote:

@FattyWhale_42 It's not a one-time transfer like Bioware or Telltale games, but rather one that can go to Switch and then back to 3DS. Therefore, like MH3U, everything has to transfer.

Thanks! ^_^

I guess that means my Titles and Crowns too then. Although I did read somewhere that your HR gets bumped down, so I'm not sure if that's the case or not.

FattyWhale_42

Joeynator3000

Never heard that before...

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

JaxonH

@DarthNocturnal
It's good news because it's saving money from a game that has every right to be full price and will be full price. When you bought games on Wii U, you knew it was not for Switch. So you made that decision in full knowledge of the fact that you were not entitled to another version for free and you chose to do so anyways.

Now that's not to say that your opinion as a consumer doesn't matter. If you don't feel the cost of the upgrade fee justifies buying that game again then by all means abstain from all purchases. That's you voting with your wallet. I have an Xbox one but when I bought it it didn't have backwards compatibility. And when I bought my 360 games I was given no promise of future compatibility. So it wasn't expected- it was a bonus above and beyond my expectations. There's a difference between saying "I'm not willing to pay another dollar for this game again" and saying "I'm entitled to not pay another dollar for this game again". Nothing wrong with the former.

But here's the thing- those games do cost money to bring over- that's just how the world works. Just because Microsoft is willing to stomach the financial hit in a risky gamble to gain sales, doesn't mean anyone else is obligated to. That was their personal choice to make.

The reason I don't expect waived fees for VC is because if they waive the fees and make it free, then they're going to spend a crap ton of money bringing over hundreds of games they will never make a dime on from the vast majority of core consumers. And then when the next system releases people are going to demand them free all over again because they have now set the standard, and the console after that and the console after that and the console after that. It will never end, and they will be doomed into financial ruin forever porting 20-year-old games for all of eternity for a fanbase that insists they deserve a free copy on every new system released, all because they spent $8 on the game one time 15 years ago.

Which is completely unrealistic and unsustainable, so they will simply resort to not bringing those games over at all in an effort to dodge the financial bullet. And while you may not feel this way, I can assure you many people would rather have the option to buy them at an upgraded price than not have the option of playing those games on their new system at all (See Sony's response to overpromising cross play and the complete lack of a single common VC game on PS4 from the PS3 or Vita).

If you expect them to now give you more than you originally got, then they can expect you to likewise give them more than they originally got. Your money doesn't grow on trees and their games don't port themselves. If it's truly just "the same game" then you shouldn't want another copy to begin with. The fact anyone wants a newer version speaks to the fact there's added value, and added value comes at a price.

Edited on by JaxonH

Haru17

Alright, a little less economic theory in my Monster Hunter please, ya damn dirty Capitalists...

meleebrawler

Something important to consider about what XX adds to the table is a full-fledged G-Rank offline portion. Not just high rank monsters with G-Rank power like 3U, or a smattering of tossed-in G-Rank quests like in 4U, an actual offline hub with it's own plot dedicated to G-Rank. It's easy to see why: past games didn't let you transfer your data from the base version to the updated one, so the old strategy of adding a high rank offline portion wouldn't work here, as you could just steamroll it with your most-likely end-high rank gear.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

FattyWhale_42

Wow, I just counted, and XX has over 500 additional quests (not even counting DLC). o.O

So I'm REALLY happy that I'll be able to transfer over my Generations data. xD

FattyWhale_42

Joeynator3000

meleebrawler wrote:

Something important to consider about what XX adds to the table is a full-fledged G-Rank offline portion. Not just high rank monsters with G-Rank power like 3U, or a smattering of tossed-in G-Rank quests like in 4U, an actual offline hub with it's own plot dedicated to G-Rank. It's easy to see why: past games didn't let you transfer your data from the base version to the updated one, so the old strategy of adding a high rank offline portion wouldn't work here, as you could just steamroll it with your most-likely end-high rank gear.

That's.....huh, ok then. lol
Does the offline G-Rank include everything you'd encounter online? Including Ka? (in case her online version takes way too long to solo)

Hopefully the same is for Amatsu and Alatreon, because they stressed me out a bit in Generations...mainly Alatreon. lol

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Haru17

@FattyWhale_42 I'm curious why the series doesn't just go with a quest creator for grinding large monsters. Especially since they've abandoned the unique mapping of monsters to particular maps and zones that Tri had.

FattyWhale_42

@Haru17 I don't know.

What I do know though, is that there really isn't a reason to play MHG any longer, if everything I've read is correct.

Edited on by FattyWhale_42

FattyWhale_42

JaxonH

Couple more pics of XX

Untitledimage hosting websites

Untitled

Untitledimage upload

Untitledupload pictures free

Edited on by Joeynator3000

JoyBoy

Just a thought. Would this game be playable on a single joycon, which would only make sense if there was some kind of split screen but still.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

yokokazuo

@Spanjard I guess it could potentially work like 3DS controls without a circle pad/c-stick and maybe have a lock on function.
Monster Hunter Tri is the only game to have split screen right? (And even then it was just the arena, but it was still fun and how I played with my cousin before he bought the game)
It seems doubtful, but I would like to see a split screen mode in Double Cross. Or the eventual MH5.

yokokazuo

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6707-5664 | Nintendo Network ID: yokokazuo

Haru17

Yeah, split screen is a perfect feature for Switch. Just keeping it to two player to account for how technically demanding Monster Hunter is and making 3DS controls work on the joy con would be great. They could auto enable the target camera and ignore the D pad and use either a single click, double click, or holding the stick in for hunter arts (or they could just so L and R at the same time like they always should have done).

This is fine not being there if it's just a port, but I almost expect a feature like this in Monster Hunter 5 proper.

Edited on by Haru17

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic