Forums

Topic: Metroid Prime 4: The Long(er) Wait

Posts 781 to 800 of 939

jump

@link3710 so not fact then ;p

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

jump

@Slowdive Ninty never said Retro are in charge, it’s still Kensuke Tanabe.

Wow, a whole month earlier then, it will be done any day in that case ;p

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

link3710

@jump Yup, clearly I'd forgotten the details.

@Magician Well, it was never confirmed to be solely Bamco developing. If the rumors are true, it was being developed in pieces in multiple locations. So some of the work may have been done by Nintendo proper, which means it might've been kept.

@Slowdive Oh, there's no question it was before January. In fact, December is quite likely late. They almost certainly wouldn't hand Retro the keys and then immediately announce it publically. They'd wait until they were sure the project would make it past it's initial few months (as that's the time most projects are scrapped). So I'd wager development started at the latest in September 2018, but quite likely things started moving in June or July.

And if the rumors of them getting on the project via a prototype/demo of some sort are true, it may be even earlier that the first work was done.

link3710

HobbitGamer

I think it actually started in 20XX

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

jump

@Slowdive actually big decisions and changes do happen quite a lot, people don’t sit down and decided on things and then it’s done, the gdd is constantly updated even during development and pre-production can take over a year before development even starts.

Nicolai wrote:

jump

@Slowdive Bamco were contractors, it’s relatively easy to cut ties off them legally. You pay for work done and move on. It wasn’t some kind of legal entity joint venture that needs to be dissolved.

Your idea of “conceptualisation” seems misinformed if you believe it can take a month for a big game. Just getting concept art done will take more than a month.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

sixrings

Slowdive is intentionally obtuse and moves the goal post in his thoughts on the past and predictions.

sixrings

kkslider5552000

we sure do have nothing to talk about

i mean that's what happens when a game has to be made from scratch a 2nd time

So something weird is that they've been hinting at something for Sylux, a character from the DS spinoff game, appearing in a main game since Prime 3 in 2007. So its gonna be weird if he's not given a ton of time in the game after what will be a 15 year wait.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

link3710

@Slowdive Watch it if you want. It's not even slightly critical to have seen the scene to understand Prime 4's story, and I can say that without even knowing what Prime 4's story is.

All we know is that Sylux infilitrated a Galactic Federation base and stole a Metroid. Definitely nothing groundbreaking.

link3710

link3710

Oh yeah, also speaking of Sylux, we don't even know that that cutscene was for Prime 4. For all we know, it could be for the new 2D Metroid.

https://shinesparkers.net/interviews/richard-vorodi/

Check out the interview. It's confirmed that Tanabe and his team know exactly who Sylux is and what his role is, so I doubt that part will be changed by Prime's restart. It's clear they've had some sort of story with him in mind since the start.

link3710

Rexenoboy

I've been wondering if Retro Studios and Nintendo are pulling a Dinosaur Planet on us.
We know Retro Studios were working on a game before starting work on Metroid Prime 4. Could it be that Nintendo saw an opportunity here to turn a big part of that development into a Metroid game like they asked Rare to turn Dinosaur Planet into Star Fox Adventures?

Treasure Acquired

sixrings

I wish they'd port federation force with local wireless play as well as metroid 2 remake.

sixrings

jump

@Rexenoboy I doubt it, Metroid Prime 4 will have expectations of what it should be so you can’t re-skin any game to make do.

Nicolai wrote:

Tendo64

Magician wrote:

The game is years away, folks. Late 2022 at the earliest.

I don't disagree with you, but by that reckoning, the game could well be on the next Nintendo console. By then Switch will be close to six years old and either right near the end of its run or already superseded by the next console.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7976-6692-0199

Rexenoboy

@jump
If they were making a first-person shooter, it could easily be done.
Again, I'm not saying I'm sure this is what they're doing, it's just something that's been going through my head.

Treasure Acquired

Magician

@Tendo64

If we assumed the Switch successor is only a few years away, I could envision MP4 being either a swan-song for the Switch or a launch title for the next Nintendo platform.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

kkslider5552000

Late 2022 is less than 6 years into the Switch's lifespan, so I don't think its too big an issue. The equivalent time would be Pokemon S/M for 3DS or like Mortal Kombat 11 on the current big 2 consoles.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Tendo64

Or it could be like Twilight Princess - released as a bit of a last hurrah for one console and a launch title for the new one. Everybody wins.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7976-6692-0199

Octane

I don't think Metroid Prime is launch game material.

Octane

HobbitGamer

@Octane Agreed. Fun series, sure. Halo-status as a system seller shooter? Nah.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic