Forums

Topic: Metroid Prime 4: The Long(er) Wait

Posts 621 to 640 of 747

Lemmy_the_Koopa

@Octane I think Nintendo is aware that they now need to catch up, since "Where is Metroid Prime 4" will be the most question asked. They acknowledged the severity by sending a producer to Retro Studios, that means they want to be very hands-on on this, to not get burnt again.

They can speed things up, though the areas to do so will be limited. Stuff like the art and animation department, can be an area, where they can add to the workforce quickly manner and speed up development.

Though this is pure conjecture on my side.

Lemmy_the_Koopa

Octane

@Lemmy_the_Koopa That's always a possiblity. I don't know how big Retro is these days. But in terms of visuals, Metroid is one of the most detailed and realistic Nintendo games. That will undoubtedly require more resources than something a bit more simple like Mario. We shall I see I guess.

Octane

FragRed

These tweets may be of some interest behind what was happening with Metroid Prime 4

ENGAGE VG: www.engagevg.com

ThanosReXXX

@Octane They're about 200 men (and women) strong, but about 75% of the current staff, if not 80%, had never even been close to being a part of developing any of the previous Metroid Prime games.

Which kinda makes me (sadly) smile and shake my head, when people comment in the relevant articles on the front page on "how good it is" that Retro Studios is taking over development again. The only thing that's the same as back then, is a small handful of people at Retro Studios, and the same on-board director sent in from Nintendo, to oversee development. Other than that, it's all new talent, where this series is concerned...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Lemmy_the_Koopa

@ThanosReXXX That is why they probably sent Kensuke Tanabe, who worked as producer / co-producer on every Metroid Prime game, including the spin-offs. So they have the talent of Retro Studios, pared with the producer that knows the series, so they have at least a leading person with enough experience in that regard to steer the ship. I think it's a bit disingenious to only point to Retro Studios, while omitting Tanabe's involvement (from every side).

Edited on by Lemmy_the_Koopa

Lemmy_the_Koopa

ThanosReXXX

@Lemmy_the_Koopa I already said that:

ThanosReXXX wrote:

The only thing that's the same as back then, is a small handful of people at Retro Studios, and the same on-board director sent in from Nintendo, to oversee development. Other than that, it's all new talent, where this series is concerned...

EDIT:
And Tanabe is not some kind of wizard. He's like a football coach, but it's the players, aka the developers, that are doing the actual work. Retro Studios is still a solid company, as their optimization work on 3DS and the Wii U has shown, and of course also their Donkey Kong Country Returns titles, but none of that matters, in relation to Metroid Prime, in which they have little to no experience, so I wouldn't be all too confident that they can pull it off again, or to the extent that the original Retro Studios, who made the entire trilogy, could have done.

It'll probably be alright, and better than that which has now been scrapped, but I'll first want to see some footage, before I put my full trust in it.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

ThanosReXXX

@Lemmy_the_Koopa Not to worry, happens to the best of us. Means you're actually human...
Added an edit, by the way.

Octane

@ThanosReXXX I've been saying that for years, but they always told me I was the lunatic for saying that. However, they haven't made a bad game either, so that's a positive thing.

Octane

Lemmy_the_Koopa

@ThanosReXXX I agree Tanabe can only do so much, but my take is Nintendo sending him in is only half the message, again they know that they will be not only measured by "a new Metroid Prime 4", but a "Metroid Prime 4 that needs to meet Nintendo's standard, which the previous one did not." so there is already an expectation as fans and reviewers will go in with the mindset, of "did Miyamoto's Mantra hold up. So I guess that MP4 will probably will face reports to and direction from persons like Miyamoto in order to streamline development as much as they can.

Again pure conjecture.

In closing I want to say that while I am hopeful, Nintendo has to really blast me away with Prime 4.

Lemmy_the_Koopa

PikPi

There's no real reason to be concerned. If they had put out bad games recently, I'd understand the worry, but considering Tropical Freeze was the last thing they put out (even if it was years ago now), I have no reason to expect they're suddenly gonna crap the bed and put out a bad game. Might not be as good as Prime 1, but I'm way more confident in the game now than I was when it was being made in Japan by an unknown developer.

PikPi

ThanosReXXX

@Octane True, but aside from the titles they've assisted Nintendo with, they've only made the Donkey Kong Country Returns games. Good as these are, these 2.5D games are far, VERY far removed from full-on 3D adventure/fps games, especially of the magnitude of the previous Metroid titles. But they're still a solid development team, of that I'm pretty sure.

So, I'm not completely negative, but only ever so cautiously optimistic, because I first want to see some proof that they're actually up to the task of pulling this off.

That, and I also want answers to all of those questions that you also have.

@Lemmy_the_Koopa Well, we can definitely agree on that last part, because I'm of the exact same mind:
they better come out guns blazing, or else it will be the disappointment of all disappointments for me.
But I honestly don't put too much stock in Nintendo knowing what people expect, much less want, seeing as they've proven the exact opposite so many times already...

@PikPi I'd hardly call Bandai Namco an unknown developer...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Dezzy

@NEStalgia

I've known several people who work for the big companies in Silicon Valley (Google, Facebook, Microsoft) who work 8 hour days, 5 days a week. I'm pretty sure it happens quite a lot. I think it really does depend on the particular company and the particular job you're doing. Some jobs are just inherently more competitive than others, and that pushes towards a situation where you need to work long hours to compete otherwise someone else will happily do it and take your job.
Competitive at the employee level, but also competitive at the business level (in the sense that EA has more competition than Google does)

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Spoony_Tech

@PikPi My concern is they haven't put out anything in the last 5 years now. This goes to my what have they been dping for those 5 years. It would seem like they are just porting and helping these days. If they don't release a big game this year I'm not so confident this Retro can get the job done just yet.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

Can't say I saw this coming.

I mean, this is objectively better than releasing a substandard Metroid Prime game. The original Trilogy are some of the finest games Nintendo made in the 2000s, especially the original which is one of the most critically acclaimed games of all time. Anything less than great should be considered absolutely unacceptable, so it wasn't going to be great as is, this is for the best.

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play, please watch and enjoy!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

ThanosReXXX

All this talk about the original game by Retro Studios, makes me want to take a trip down memory lane,
not just to (almost sadly) reminisce, but also to once again see and hear how good, and revolutionary this game really was.

Walk along with me, if you like:

Spoony_Tech

@ThanosReXXX Thanks for that vid as I need that today! Will watch it later today.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

ThanosReXXX

@Spoony_Tech You're very welcome.
And you won't regret it, because it's a really good video.

LzWinky

At least they're honest about it. Other companies would have slapped together some half-donkeyed game and call it a day

Current games: Dragon Quest Builders 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | 3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Spoony_Tech

@TheLZdragon And then patched it for the next 6 months.

MERG said:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic