Forums

Topic: Metroid Prime 4: The Long(er) Wait

Posts 461 to 480 of 939

Tyranexx

I think that, until Corruption, I had assumed that those organisms exposed to Phazon eventually did become mindless killing machines. I think what initially threw me on this point was the level of intelligence retained in the other bounty hunters and, later, the pirates. It's creepy the way Dark Samus absorbs the other hunters upon defeat; my guess is that she absorbs their Phazon-corrupted bodies in order to sustain herself and not "waste" it.

As I'm finding more pieces of lore (I've found all but two on the Pirate Homeworld at this point), the picture is becoming clearer and, well, darker. I just found the scan of Dark Samus being able to "exploit" the secrets of Phaaze in order to choose exactly which world each Leviathan hits whereas I'm assuming it was random before.

In any case, it's all really interesting and is giving my brain gears quite an exciting workout.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

meleebrawler

@Tyranexx I doubt she needs to "sustain" herself on Phazon anymore, I mean she's on a planet that has all the substance she could ever want. But in fact it would probably be hazardous for her to do so since overloading her with it is how you defeat her at the end of Echoes. She only seems to absorb the essence of her victims (which you kind of also do, morbidly enough) if they have interesting abilities for her to use.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

Agriculture

Do you think it will have standard FPS controllers? Left stick to move and right stick to aim.

Agriculture

meleebrawler

@Agriculture We really haven't the foggiest with no gameplay footage whatsoever, but my money's on something like Splatoon with left stick for movement, right stick for camera and gyro for aiming, with that also being optional. It'd also be interesting shooting with trigger buttons. Shoulder buttons for switching beams/visors, pause and map to start and select, and perhaps coolest of all, ship commands mapped to the D-pad.

Grumblevolcano

I think we'll end up with the Mario Odyssey approach. That while you can use the pro controller, the game is created with waggle controls in mind.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

MarcelRguez

@meleebrawler I think it could end up being something like this:

A: Morph Ball
B: Jump
X: Missiles
Y: Shoot
L/R: swap visors/beams
ZL/ZR: lock on/dash

Can't see this game using the Switch triggers to shoot, they don't seem to be suited for rapid fire.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Agriculture

MarcelRguez wrote:

@meleebrawler I think it could end up being something like this:

A: Morph Ball
B: Jump
X: Missiles
Y: Shoot
L/R: swap visors/beams
ZL/ZR: lock on/dash

Can't see this game using the Switch triggers to shoot, they don't seem to be suited for rapid fire.

It's a shame really. The twin stick controls have become standard for a reason, they work the best for the FPS genre.

Agriculture

MarcelRguez

@Agriculture Both k+m and motion controls work way better for any shooter. I'd say only touchscreen aiming is worse than twin stick controls.

MarcelRguez

I-U

I think Prime 4 will have multiple control options, but I'll be surprised if a separated Joy-Con scheme is not the recommended way to play. Prime 4 would benefit greatly by being as close to Corruption's controls as possible for its recommended option.

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

meleebrawler

@Knighty_IX The problem with touchscreen aiming is that, while it may be precise, your touching/stylus hand is too occupied for camera controls, making turning clunky.

@MarcelRguez The Brush family in Splatoon would like to have a word. If a face button was used for beams, that'd make gyro aiming a necessity with it being very awkward to shift a stick while pushing that button. And why have a specific button for dashing? It's always been the same as jump while strafing, just like Zelda.

MarcelRguez

@meleebrawler There's zero doubt in my mind about this game having mandatory gyro aiming. The dash thing I made up on the spot, I wasn't referring to strafing but to a "running" button a la Super Metroid.

MarcelRguez

Tyranexx

@meleebrawler: Good point in reference to Echoes.

Right, so I'm pretty sure I'm near the end of the game at this point. I just allowed the GF fleet to access the Pirate Homeworld for a bit of Star Wars-esque combat, and now I've saved after hacking a Leviathan ship to transport everyone to Phaaze via wormhole. I think I'll do a bit of item collecting first; I found the map satellite room (or whatever it's called) in Skytown to help with this task.

As epic as the boss music was, I found the fight against Omega Ridley sort of easy, yet still fun. It's amazing how this guy keeps coming back, though he's by far not the only villain in gaming that seems to have infinite lives. XD

Finally....I love Samus's corrupted face more than ever at this point. Seriously, it's creepily blue/green. I feel that it would add to the game for her to have a little more erratic behavior at this point besides the random Hypermode overloads.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

MarcelRguez

Eurogamer is backing up those rumors about Prime 4 being developed by Bandai Namco Singapore:

Eurogamer wrote:

Specifically, the highly-anticipated Nintendo Switch exclusive is being developed by Bandai Namco Studios Singapore, which we understand is lead studio on the game in collaboration with Nintendo.

This studio houses some former LucasArts Singapore staff who previously worked on, among other things, the ambitious cancelled Star Wars 1313.

Press Start went through the profile of some former LucasArts employees and they seem excited to be working on whatever they're working on.

Personally, there's enough smoke for me to believe there's a fire.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

Haru17

Really breaking out all the stops for Metroid I see. So, what, can Nintendo just not make games anymore? They haven't developed a Metroid themselves in forever — even longer if you count Retro separately. From what I can find, Singapore has worked on (not developed on their own, but contributed to) an unnamed Ace Combat game, Tales of Berseria, Mario Sports: Superstars, and Riiiiiiiiidge Racer!

So naturally, a metroidvanian, explorative FPS puzzle-adventure.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

TuVictus

This news just makes me wonder what Retro are working on again. When will we hear that

TuVictus

Grumblevolcano

@MisterPi One rumour suggests a new horror IP, another suggests Nintendo Labo.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

TuVictus

@Grumblevolcano oh geez, the absolute madness if they revealed Labo was what they spent 5 years on. I think I'd be more fascinated at the reaction than angry at it, lol

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

Haru17

Yeah... no. Labo is more the Splatoon, Animal Crossing, or Wii [Insert Activity] teams' speed. I have to believe Nintendo aren't chronically cheap and Retro are making something singleplayer, although direct horror would be unprecedented for Nintendo — even if it makes sense with some of MP3's environments.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Octane

It's definitely not Labo. And the horror game is another ''rumour'' without a proper source as far as I know.

The only reliable rumour we have is from Liam Robertson, from a year or so ago. He talked about the relationship between Nintendo and Retro. How it's apparently the most expensive studio for Nintendo to keep up and running. How they are allowed to pitch three concepts to Nintendo, if they're all turned down, they get assigned to a game. It's how they came to make DKC: Returns. Tropical Freeze was their own idea, after the success of Returns. Anyway, that rumour said Nintendo green-lit one of their own concepts, and it was highly likely that they are currently working on a new IP.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic