Forums

Topic: Metroid Prime 4: The Long(er) Wait

Posts 221 to 240 of 939

Bolt_Strike

Haru17 wrote:

@Bolt_Strike Really? I feel like that would take away from the experience since the items are so tied into the progression and narrative, and mapped to specific boss fights.

I feel like a proper HD remake of the trilogy would have to be done by Bluepoint or Retro themselves, and feature brand new texture work. I would love to see some of Echoes' skyboxes in HD. Also, I would hate a remake that focused on 1 above 2 and 3 assuming that's the game most people would play. That'd be even more disrespect than the lazy Twilight Princess HD remake.

Well one of the things is that some of the powerups in 2 and 3 would be fun to use in 1 and 2. The grapple powerups, and Seeker Missiles and Screw Attack in Prime 1 would be great additions to the game, and there's some areas from both that could use some fleshing out. And I'd definitely like to see them do more with Magmoor Caverns, Phazon Mines, and Ing Hive, they're fairly linear and devoid of content. They could kill two birds with one stone if they went back and added those newer areas as extra content to some of those areas.

But yeah, Prime 3 being the odd man out wouldn't quite be far. But I really can't think of anything to add to that game (maybe do more with Bryyo Ice? IDK).

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Haru17

@Bolt_Strike I've always wanted to be able to explore one of the floating planetoids soaking up the pollution on Bryyo and maybe get some more resolution to the whole science and primal lords storyline. And maybe they could expand Phaaze to be a full planet like they considered in development, however you can already travel inside of a leviathan in that game. It's more than content-complete, and I don't understand how this would even get done without Retro developing. Adding new content to not just one but three games would be a significant task. I think we'll just have to wait until 4 for any new content.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Grumblevolcano

@Haru17 Yeah, I don't see new content coming if a trilogy remaster happens. I mean come on, if you look at other collections and remasters, not even cut content is added back in for example:

• Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD didn't add any temples
  • Halo 2 in MCC still has that really bad ending rather than 1-2 extra missions at the end with Master Chief

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

meleebrawler

@DarthNocturnal Didn't Prime 1 have that unused Meta Kraid boss in the Phazon Mines?

@Bolt_Strike If a game has Super Missiles, you won't use Seekers for anything other than things that require them. Trust me.

That interview would seem to indicate 4 is returning to the original Prime's full implicit storytelling, as opposed to Corruption. Not sure what "new" storyline would tie together the events of previous games, considering the main thing that did (Phazon) was completely destroyed...

OR WAS IT???

Edited on by meleebrawler

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

Grumblevolcano

@meleebrawler I could see Phazon returning, it is pretty easy to create technicalities which bring back fan favourite parts of game franchises. The most recent example of this is the Flood in the Halo franchise. Thought to be completely wiped out at the end of Halo 3, a technicality was used to bring it back in the upcoming Halo Wars 2 expansion (Halo Wars 2 and the expansion are set after Halo 5) and hence will more than likely appear in Halo 6.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

meleebrawler

@Grumblevolcano I suppose one could just say that some unheard-of planet far away got hit by a Leviathan long ago, and was corrupted enough to become a second Phaaze, one that escaped the destruction of the original.

MarcelRguez

@Joytendo22 Sounds good. Thanks for sharing!

Metroid Prime 4 returns to the First Person Adventure roots of the original Metroid Prime game

Nice.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Aurumonado

I personally think beam combos and bomb/beam combos would be cool to bring to metroid prime - more options is always good if its executed well which is my biggest complaint about metroid prime 3 (ONE BEAM!)

https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/HalcyonInkAndImage?ref=seller-platform-mcnav

Switch Friend Code: SW-7763-4930-1410 | Nintendo Network ID: Aurumonado | Twitter:

Bolt_Strike

DarthNocturnal wrote:

There was also concept art for a “Dark Ridley“ in Prime 2, although it probably never got far past that stage.

That's another thing I wanted to see, a Dark Ridley fight would be awesome and it's a shame that never materialized in the full game.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

MarcelRguez

@Aurumonado Yeah, the stacked beams wasn't one of Corruption's best ideas.

Beam combos are a cool concept, but I never used them that much (in Prime, at least). Make them use less missiles —even if they get nerfed for the sake of balance— and I'm in.

@Bolt_Strike Personally, I liked that Ridley wasn't present in that game. I wouldn't mind it if he didn't appear in 4 either.

MarcelRguez

Haru17

Something 4 could do is make each individual uncharged default arm canon shot feel impactful. None of the Trilogy games did that outside of switching beams, and I think the gameplay and rate of fire could use a little slowing down so it's not just mashing at points.

MarcelRguez

@Horsemeat PlatinumGames is not a good fit. They're as subtle as a sledgehammer and they rarely do downtime in their title, something Prime has in spades.

From is a way better choice, but I'm sure the game won't be outsourced.

MarcelRguez

meleebrawler

@MarcelRguez Stacked beams in Corruption were probably included not because they thought it'd be cool, but out of necessity due to the Hypermode mechanic, same deal with having Ice Missiles. After all, what's really the point in having a multitude of different beams when one of them pretty much trumps almost all scenarios? To say nothing of how often that is the only way to deal reasonable damage at best (with the multitude of Hypermode-toting enemies, particularly at high difficulties), or at all. Not to mention controller real estate.

As for beam combos, I feel the real issue was not their cost, but rather the severe lack of worthy things to use them on. Only two were real duds: Flamethrower and the Sunburst, neither of which dealt the damage to justify their ammo guzzling. The rest work fine, but Super Missile aside, the enemies are rarely compelling enough to use beam combos on except for kicks. It is funny how in the first Prime, the non Power Beam combos have one very specific use:

• Wavebuster makes short work of the Cloaked Drone, and in some versions of the game, Meta Ridley's second form.
  • Ice Spreader defeats Metroid Prime's ice shield in one easy hit.
  • Flamethrower bypasses Omega Pirate's beam absorption, if you're not willing to Power Bomb him.

@Haru17 Outside the Power Beam, and Corruption in general due to, again, Hypermode mechanics, I'm not really seeing your point.

• Wave Beam's uncharged shots, due to homing work better at taking out small, annoying fliers. Everything else is better off stunlocked by charged shots.
  • Ice Beam, on top of having the slowest rate of fire among all beams, often freezes things in one basic shot, if not outright killing weak ones.
  • Plasma Beam's shots are not often used due to charged one-shotting most things, but even the basic ones often send foes reeling with each hit.
  • Dark Beam actually fires faster if you press in a rhythm instead of mashing, and can do quite a bit of damage over time this way, often more than even a charged shot.
  • Light Beam's basic shots have their piercing effect to hit multiple foes, plus setting them on fire.
  • Annihilator Beam is a mix of Power and a souped-up Wave: not super powerful, but incredibly versatile and easy to use.

MarcelRguez

@meleebrawler Puzzle-solving would be the main reason to keep the separated, along with having enemies that are weak to each different beam. I guess Corruption's planet-based structure doesn't really support that last one, though.

MarcelRguez

Bolt_Strike

You know, another thing they had planned for Prime 2 was Power Bomb Beam combos. I wouldn't mind running with that idea and just having a beam customization system in general. So, instead of beam weapons being an alternate beam weapon that you can combine with missiles, they could be elemental abilities that you could assign to a particular weapon (Power Beam, Missiles, Bombs, etc.) and customize.

Bolt_Strike

Haru17

Yeah, I don't need a Prime game to look like Dark Souls, thanks. Has From even ever done a first-person game? Or a shooter, for that matter? And yeah, the last two times Nintendo outsourced Metroid it didn't go well.

@meleebrawler A lot of the time in Metroid Prime 1 and 2 you're just using the power beam, which never felt that great outside of charge shots.

But separate to that, the different beams in Prime 1 never felt that great outside of disintegration shots with the plasma beam. Echoes and Corruption improved the feedback from shooting greatly, even though the power beam stayed much the same.

Haru17

@MarcelRguez Yeah, but were those games any good? Lol, and they're not shooters judging by the name.

Tyranexx

Aurumonado wrote:

I personally think beam combos and bomb/beam combos would be cool to bring to metroid prime - more options is always good if its executed well which is my biggest complaint about metroid prime 3 (ONE BEAM!)

Agreed....Also, there's only ONE beam in Prime 3? That's disappointing.

Edit: Still catching up, seems I missed the last page.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic