Forums

Topic: Super Mario Odyssey

Posts 861 to 880 of 2,057

FragRed

You have to be careful about how many sites are running on the hype that this game has been creating and the hype from the Switch in general. For a lot of reviewers especially in the US, Nintendo was their childhood and I think they're just massively excited to see them back and doing well.

I'm not saying that this will be why the game may receive such praise in the review scores but I think there'll be at least part of that involved.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Octane

@Snaplocket Not much history with coverage, but I can ensure you that 99% of the Odyssey reviewers played Mario 64 when they were younger.

Octane

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Snaplocket wrote:

I can't think of a single Mario game where I didn't agree with the critics.

I can, SM3DW. That's all though, of the mainline series of course.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

Ralizah

How about we let critics have their opinions and we can have ours? Just because a person gave BotW a 10 doesn't mean they were a "fanboy" or "paid off," and the few people who gave it less than a 10 aren't necessarily trying to "get clicks." Some people LOVED the game, some people were less enthralled with it. Same will be true of Odyssey.

If Odyssey does get another absurdly high metacritic score, though, it'll be interesting to see if the Sony crowd gets riled up and destroys the user score like it did with BotW.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

FragRed

When is the review embargo for Mario Odyssey lifting? I am kinda surprised Edge and Famitsu already release their reviews so early.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Luna_110

Sigh... The reviews for big Nintendo franchises are always criticized, for good or bad. Better stick with the reviewer you trust.
I like the reviews from Edge, so I’m pretty happy with that 10.

@FragRed I think that at the end of this week for previews and maybe next week for reviews? Edge and Famitsu have different dates due to being magazines, I think.

Edited on by Luna_110

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

Ryu_Niiyama

@Operative2-0 I even said "I kid". My gaming is all over the place and usually "niche" so aside from "broken mess" I don't pay attention to reviews.

The rest of the internet however...no promises. I'm selling pitchforks. Anybody want to buy? I take eshop cards as payment. If you pre-order I'll throw in an effigy of the gaming CEO of your choice.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Haru17

Have you played a game for more than 60 hours? Congrats, you know more than any reviewer before publication.

Just keep that in mind, game reviews as they're practiced are much less useful to us, the presumptive 'hardcore,' than they would be to people clueless about the game. Anyway, a review scale that goes all the way from 7 (awful) to 10 (middlingly good) is usually pointless for games like 3D Mario and Zelda because those games are expectedly better than so many normal series. There are worlds of difference that cannot be expressed by that number because it is trying to tell you whether you should buy this or Borderlands.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Henmii

@Snaplocket,

Oh yeah, Paper Mario 2...that game was sweet! Personally I also haven't played that many open-world games. Breath of the wild, wich was great. Xenoblade chronicles, wich was also pretty nice. But Xenoblade X, I couldn't get into it thus far. I would love to play Horizon, but that will never hit a Nintendo device (I only have Nintendo devices).

Henmii

Maxz

@Ralizah I mean, utterly yes. If anyone does have any incriminating evidence about a review being swayed one way of the other by illegitimate motives, then I hope it's brought forward and examined thoroughly. But otherwise, I think it's best not to be too on edge or primed with conspiracy theories to throw at every game review that comes out.

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Dezzy

Octane wrote:

I don't see the point in open world Mario. Mario is a platformer, not an adventure game. It needs condensed little world full of objects to jump on/against/off. I am already a bit worried after seeing those big grassy plains in Odyssey, or that empty desert. I don't play Mario games to mindlessly run around. I'll go play BOTW if I want to do that.

Yup, this game seems to have some of the biggest open spaces in any 3D mario games. They probably think it's ok as long as there are faster means of travel rather than just running.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Google Translate: This is "Capture Imo Mu" that Mario captured on the new enemy character "Immoo". Let's move on with the Big Body!

Google Translate: It is one scene at nature rich waterfall country "Dyna Four". Beyond the line of sight of Mario ...?

New SMO video from Nintendo of Japan.

Nyanha Nya! Cat Mario Time 100th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaTtlmaklsw

It thought this was full of spoilers but it's not really. It's stuff we've largely seen before. Just the hidden pixel Cat Mario and Peach were new, to me at least.

Edited on by SLIGEACH_EIRE

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

Dezzy

When does the review embargo lift for this?

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Kimyonaakuma

@Dezzy I'd guess that it will be early next week, if they did it this week then Fire Emblem Warriors will be overshadowed.

...well it already is but it would make it worse

Kimyonaakuma

TuVictus

No doubt they're confident enough to have the embargo be a few days before release. This is one of the few times it seems everyone is in unanimous agreement that yes, the game will be great and yes, it is a must have for any Switch owner before the game is even out lol

TuVictus

Haruki_NLI

Apparently after the leak of Mario & Luigi, which was from a review copy, Nintendo is cutting some reviewers out, and may even not send review copies until release day, or a few days prior, to cut down on leaks.

And to be fair, these leaks have been a big problem for Nintendo, so I don't blame them.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ralizah

@BLP_Software They might as well. It's not like the game isn't going to sell well, and they probably shouldn't be sending a free review copy out to every 100 subscriber channel on youtube that requests one anyway.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Haruki_NLI

@Ralizah Apparently it was a notable publication. Read into that what you will, but seems their review policy is changing from here on out.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic