Forums

Topic: Super Mario Odyssey

Posts 861 to 880 of 1,982

frogopus

@Snaplocket Literally everything in a 3D video game is wrapped in a texture map. A model is essentially a gray sculpted figure. The texture map is the paint. So something may be beautifully sculpted but if the paint job is terrible, the graphics will be terrible. Textures are not just for ground and environment, they're literally everything. In fact, most of what you notice when you're deciding if graphics are good or bad is in fact the textures. Now in large worlds, environmental textures are often skimpy and replaced with low res textures at a certain draw distance because they can be very demanding, and there's nothing I hate more than grass popping up from no where. Personally, if I'm booting up say, a new Elder Scrolls game, the first thing I'm looking at is environmental textures.

Here's a Ninja Turtle with and without texture: http://product.corel.com/help/Painter/540215550/Main/EN/Win-D...

frogopus

Haru17

I always thought flat grass textures were underrated. Every environment isn't meant to have tall grasses obstructing one's path. If anything, too much clutter bothers me because it just clips through the player character in third-person games and can drown out the readability of animations.

Capcom Nintendo Life Community Manager

Contents are ???% sarcastic in nature.

SMEXIZELDAMAN

I want every blade to be individually and beautifully rendered. Grass is never looking like a flat sheet of paper in real life. C'mon Nintendo

Lord Head Admin of SonyLife
♥♥♥Videogames are lame♥♥♥

Snaplocket

@Kimyonaakuma Mario Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion had really awful looking textures and that didn't stop them from being amazing looking games.

Snaplocket

Dezzy

Haru17 invading the virtual world:

Untitled

Converted from Sony to Nintendo during 7th gen and never looked back.

Haru17

I just didn't play Ocarina as a kid, go out into Hyrule Field, and say, "UGH, this is ugly, I hate this!" It was cool.

Ralizah

Hyrule Field was ugly AND empty. A real one-two punch.

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

Dezzy

Ocarina hyrule field looked so much better than Twilight Princess hyrule field imo.

Converted from Sony to Nintendo during 7th gen and never looked back.

Haru17

@Ralizah If you actually compare Ocarina of Time's Hyrule Field to the other games of the time it comes out pretty well. Metal Gear Solid and Doom were all hallways and interiors, Final Fantasy 7 didn't even have everything proportional let alone collision, and Sonic Adventure was Sonic Adventure.

@Dezzy I mean that's also whack. Twilight Princess is probably the best Hyrule Field to date, you could look over the hills and see all of the dungeons and regions represented in the skybox, just like you could with Death Mountain and sort of Castle Town in Ocarina. They even made Hyrule Castle glow blue through the curtain Twilight so it would be recognizable. I love that attention to continuity in level-based games.

Untitled

Edited on by Haru17

MasterWario

@Snaplocket Well I say out of all the textures (besides blurry), the flat grass texture definitely stands out the most. Like, that's not grass! Yeah, maybe in-game I notice it; it otherwise doesn't effect my enjoyment of the game, but outside of the game it can be a fun thing to discuss!

I do think it's strange that after BOTW we're stuck with flat grass textures again...you'd think they'd implement a grass shader or something, but perhaps that would cut too much into performance?

I would have never guessed Weezing was so useful until I played a HeartGold Nuzlocke!
My YouTube Channel! Video game related, of course!
My Pushmo Levels
My Crashmo Levels

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0589-3371 | Nintendo Network ID: MasterWario

Kimyonaakuma

@Snaplocket Those games only had a few bad textures and were 480p, it's not really the same as a game like pikmin where the game's camera is facing the ground which consists of one or two ugly textures...

I seem to be invisible here, or maybe just ignored? Who knows...

Octane

@Ryu_Niiyama Yep. At least it was better than Pikmin 1 and 2. Several different ground textures, and all the foliage helped to mask the lower rez grass maps.

Mario Odyssey does a combination of both, and it looks absolutely fine by the way (before people start thinking I was criticising the game). You probably don't get to see the textures up close like in that screenshot very often, their resolution is definitely higher than the ground textures in Pikmin 3, and the individual rendered grass blades give it some depth as well.

Water looks fine I think? I mean, it's still gorgeous in Sunshine, so I don't think Odyssey will disappoint at all. The only thing I remember about the New Donk City graphics is the lack of AA and the right angles of the buildings. That was a bit jarring, especially in stills. The other levels look great so far though.

Octane

Haru17

New Donk City is also one of the densest environments Nintendo has ever made. All those trash cans and fire hydrants, cars, pedestrians, street and traffic lights. It's like Persona 5 but you can jump on people and get inside their heads OH WAIT.

I don't get all the texture obsession. Mario and Zelda aren't even first-person games so you can't even look that closely at the textures while playing the game. Ocarina of Time/Super Mario 64 still looks good, it never stopped looking good because it's art. There's just also a dynamic with games that newer and more technologically advanced art looks better. But there are still many, many games released today that don't look as beautiful as Ocarina/64 because they don't have either the variety of assets, the consistency with which those assets were created and how they all fit together to compose a world, or both.

...But it looks like Odyssey will have that because it's a big, diverse, beautiful game.

Yes Breath of the Wild has nice grass. Are we seriously going to complain about how Mario Odyssey looks? It looks as good if not better than MK8, one of the prettiest games ever made. This is what people mean when they talk about 'gamer entitlement.'

Edited on by Haru17

Kimyonaakuma

@Haru17 I think it just doesn't look great in that screenshot, the game looks amazing in motion though. I was really impressed with MK8 and 3D World and this has even surpassed those.

And who knows, maybe Mario is fighting shadows in palaces when he captures an enemy? We'll never know...

MasterWario

@Haru17 WARNING MINI-RANT And this is why people misuse and misunderstand 'gamer entitlement'. Who's complaining? I don't see anyone complaining. I see people discussing a game that they will probably all buy and enjoy. This is seriously one of the worst things about the internet. Just because you posted an opinion on the internet doesn't mean you're actually getting out the pitchforks and torches. We're just having a discussion, the way, I dunno, normal people do? We're just stuck typing words out over TCP so we must be conniving little entitled gamers... Seriously, how many people are out there talking about the traffic on 88 or how they hate their boss, and we're here talking about something actually interesting. Oh, but nobody gets up in arms about them!

Edited on by MasterWario

I would have never guessed Weezing was so useful until I played a HeartGold Nuzlocke!
My YouTube Channel! Video game related, of course!
My Pushmo Levels
My Crashmo Levels

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0589-3371 | Nintendo Network ID: MasterWario

Octane

@MasterWario You have take Haru's posts with a pinch of salt when he pulls out fancy words like entitlement

Octane

SMEXIZELDAMAN

@Haru17 I'm not buying Odyssey because of the grass.

Lord Head Admin of SonyLife
♥♥♥Videogames are lame♥♥♥

Ryu_Niiyama

@Octane Water is something I think Nintendo does very well so I tend to pay attention to it in games. I'm loving the level and baddie variety that has been shown so far. Possess everything!

Taiko is good for the soul. Let the drums fill you with FIRE! Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Switch FC: SW-2230-0265-0353
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14 I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.
Villanova University: 2016 NCAA Champs! GO NOVA NATION! 2008 Alumna

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Kimyonaakuma

@Ryu_Niiyama I'll agree with you, water is something that Nintendo is great at portraying in their games. Sunshine and Skyward sword come to mind but I'd still say that Pikmin 3 has the best water.
However that wouldn't fit the Mario art style and is probably harder to replicate on larger bodies of water. The dynamic waves are impressive though.

I'd like to try to capture one of those underwater bullet bills from the Galaxy games, that could make for a fun race minigame!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic