Forums

Topic: Super Mario Odyssey

Posts 501 to 520 of 2,057

Namco

I'm also incredibly triggered. You forgot to place 3D Land > 3D World in front of it. Those games are clearly on another level right??

Also

Paper Mario: Sticker Star > Paper Mario: Color Splash > Super Paper Mario > Paper Mario 64 > Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

A piece of the Triforce appeared before you! (>'.')> Touch it now!

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2624-1857 | Nintendo Network ID: Acegamer-62

Nicolai

Since we're all doing this now:

Mario 64 > Galaxy 2 > Galaxy 1 > 3D World > Sunshine (also a distant 5th).

You may have noticed 3D Land isn't on here.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

-Green-

It's not on your list because it's clearly the best one, so there's no point in listing it.

It's also the only one I've played, so....
3D Land >>>>

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Octane

Nicolai wrote:

Sunshine (also a distant 5th)

Untitled

Octane

Maxz

Mario Golf: Advance Tour > All other games

Done.

Really though, it's fantastic.

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Samus7Killer

Super Mario Galaxies > Super Mario Sunshine > Super Mario 3D World > Super Mario 64

Samus7Killer

TuVictus

In all seriousness though, I truly hope this game will dethrone Galaxy 2 for me. It certainly has the potential

TuVictus

kkslider5552000

Mario Galaxy 1 > Mario Galaxy 2 > 3D World > 64 > 3D Land > Sunshine

So like, Mario Galaxy was just more original and more unexpectedly great (great 3D platformers were shockingly rare on the GCN), even if Galaxy 2 is arguably a better game. 3D World was close to on-par with Galaxy games but the 2d meets 3d thing was never gonna be perfected this way. 64's a classic even if it's not aged the best but it's a basic 3D platformer too. 3D Land is THE basic 3d platformer, it's a slightly better NSMB game and Sunshine is too much of a mess to live up to the others and why would I want to play a platformer that seems to actively slow things down and increase the awkwardness inherently with its main gimmick (yet I still did, twice)

Sunshine's not bad but the sequel to Mario 64 on GCN. Should've been better, parts of that game are not excusable considering Miyamoto and friends' high standards (even if they would be for even a good Sonic, life's funny that way).

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Octane

@kkslider5552000 Same is true for Mario's spin attack in Galaxy though.

Anyway, controlling Mario has never been as fun as it was in Sunshine. It doesn't have the long jump, but FLUDD makes up for that. Anything else is present, and it feels good.

Octane

Haru17

Sunshine > 64 > Galaxy > Galaxy DLC > 3D World (haven't played) > 3D Land (have played).

Odyssey is set to overtake 64, but we'll have to see if 2017 Nintendo can bear to release a game with an interesting Mario setting. They haven't done that since at least Super Paper Mario in 2007 (MK8 was nice, but it's only as deep as a kart racing game allows).

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Eel

The only 3D Mario games I have played to the end are sunshine, 3d land and 3d world.

So those > the rest.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Tyranexx

Galaxy 1 > Galaxy 2 > 3D World > 3D Land. All were decent, though. I haven't played any of the other 3D entries barring a brief stint with SM64 DS.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Samus7Killer

Super Mario Odyssey will crush all the other 3D Marios.

Samus7Killer

Bolt_Strike

Sunshine > Galaxy > 64 > Galaxy 2. Although I suspect Odyssey will be my new #1.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

veeflames

@Maxz a little bit late, but everything is better when we talk about Galaxy 2.

Anyways, lemme throw in my two cents for this discussion:
Galaxy 2/1 (2 first because I liked that one slightly better than 1) > Sunshine (excellent game, but those wonky physics, though) > 3D World (a truly underrated masterpiece) > 64 (not sure whether I prefer the DS version, though) > 3D Land (3D Land is excellent but when you play 3D World thoroughly it's a bit hard to get back into 3D Land).
Odyssey? I'm loving everything I'm seeing about that game (okay, not everything... I do wish there was a lives system, but nothing I can do about that, I guess), but it may not overthrow the Galaxy games as my #1. The Galaxy games are the pinnacle of game design in all aspects, capturing my full attention and child-like wonder back in the days. But hey, Odyssey is slated to be my GOTY 2017 alongside Splatoon 2.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

kkslider5552000

Octane wrote:

Same is true for Mario's spin attack in Galaxy though.

Wrong! The spin attack is a double jump with a twist (literally!). FLUDD is if Splatoon was in reverse and less refined. Until it turns into a hover ability that is somehow worse than Deku Link.

Now Mario's spin attack was not as smooth as some games' double jump, but the difference is that they knew that and built things around that (it being an emergency jump that you needed to be calm about in precise moment to moment gameplay as well). Mario Sunshine needed a few more months to understand PHYSICS.

It's funny, because I would bet you that if the current Mario team would make a new Mario Sunshine, the original's problems would be so much more apparent. Honestly, even if they remake it, improve certain aspects and change...20% of the game, I feel everyone would be like "wow, this was so needed" as soon as they did compare/contrast (with the obvious exception people so used to Sunshine that its quirks are second nature to them, obviously).

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic