Forums

Topic: Super Mario Odyssey

Posts 481 to 500 of 2,057

EvilLucario

Something that had been bugging me since E3 that kinda stopped being a thing now but still somewhat persists:

The HUD looks a bit cheap and very streamlined - too streamlined for my liking. The font doesn't look at zany or wacky like other Mario games like Galaxy or 3D World.

During Gamescom they angled the coins HUD a bit, but I still get the feeling of that unimpressive HUD.

It's not a game-killer by any means and was most likely already brought up somewhere here, but it's something I've been thinking of since E3.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Namco

Hm, I could still pre-order the wedding Peach & Mario amiibo + the game for a ''reasonable'' price. Yeah I should probably do that now ^^

A piece of the Triforce appeared before you! (>'.')> Touch it now!

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2624-1857 | Nintendo Network ID: Acegamer-62

Som64

Hmm... I wonder where Peach is in Super Mario Odyssey.

I'm a huge Mario fan (with a lot of Super Mario Odyssey hype)
I currently have 100+ Mario games (I never thought that I had so many...)

My YouTube channel with no content

Switch Friend code SW-2149-8784-...

Nintendo Network ID: Som_64

Nicolai

Jump Up, Super Star wrote:

Here we go, off the rails
Don't you know it's time to raise our sails?
It's freedom like you never knew
Don't need bags or a pass,
Say the word, I'll be there in a flash
You could say my hat is off to you
Oh, we can zoom all the way to the moon,
From this great wide wacky world,
Jump with me, grab coins with me, oh yeah!

It's time to jump up in the air, (Jump up in the air),
Jump up, don't be scared, (Jump up, don't be scared),
Jump up and your cares will soar away, (oohoohooh),
And if the dark clouds start to swirl,
Don't fear, don't shed a tear, 'cause
I'll be your 1-Up Girl

So let's all jump up super high, (Jump up super high),
High up in the sky, (High up in the sky),
There's no power-up like dancing,
You know that you're my Super Star, (You're my Super Star)
No one else can take me this far
I'm flipping the switch,
Get ready for this,
Ohh, ohh, let's do the Odyssey!

Odyssey, ya see (x7),
Odyssey, Odyssey!

Spin the wheel, take a chance
Every journey starts a new romance
A new world's calling out to you
Take a turn, off the path
Find a new addition to the cast,
You know that any captain needs a crew
Take it in stride as you move, side to side, They're just different points of view
Jump with me, grab coins with me, Oh yeah!

Come on and jump up in the air, (Jump up in the air),
Jump without a care, (Jump without a care),
Jump up 'cause you know that I'll be there
And if you find you're short on joy,
Don't fret, just don't forget that
You're still our 1-Up Boy

So go on, straighten out your cap, (Straighten out your cap),
Let your toes begin to tap, (Toes begin to tap),
This rhythm is a power 'shroom (oohoohooh)
Jump on it; You're the Super Star (You're the Super Star)
No one else can make it this far
Put a comb through that stache,
Now you've got panache
Ohh, ohh, let's do the Odyssey!

It's time to jump up in the air, (Jump up in the air),
Jump up, don't be scared, (Jump up don't be scared),
Jump up and your cares will soar away, (oohoohooh),
And if the dark clouds start to swirl, (Dark clouds start to swirl),
Don't fear, don't shed a tear 'cause
I'll be your 1-Up Girl

Now listen all you boys and girls, (All you boys and girls),
All around the world, (All around the world),
Don't be afraid to get up and move
You know that we're all Super Stars, (We're all Super Stars)
We're the ones who've made it this far
Put a smile on that face,
There's no time to waste,
Sooo, let's do the Odyssey!

Is this addressed by Peach or is it addressed by Pauline? Wrong: it's addressed by Nintendo. Every time I read these lyrics, from the moment she sings "flipping the Switch," I can't help but think "are they even talking about the game anymore?"

It sounds to me more like a letter to Nintendo fans, telling them they're changing and to embrace it. Odyssey, of course, being an example. Just take a moment and read the second verse again:

take a chance, take a turn off the path, take it in stride, it's just a different point of view.
A new addition to the cast; Kimishima? You know that I'll be there; Nintendo? And of course in the last, they drop the 2nd person completely and start addressing Nintendo's entire audience. After a while, even "jump with me, grab coins with me" starts sounding like Nintendo asking me to play their game.

Sorry if it's either a huge stretch or if it was already obvious to everyone. What do you guys think?

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Anti-Matter

@Som64
Princess Peach was kidnapped (again, lol) by Bowser. This time, Bowser want to.... married (again, once at Super Paper Mario Wii) with Princess Peach. At the same time, Former Mario's Girlfriend Pauline and new enemies (Rabbits?) appear.
I'm sure Peach is on Bowser Airship somewhere...

Anti-Matter

Som64

Yes but what about this image she's on. Untitled
The Cloud Kingdom?

Edited on by Som64

Octane

The Don't-Read-Too-Much-Into-It Kingdom.

Octane

Som64

Luncheon Kingdom?
(Edit: I thought it said The Don't-EAT-Too-Much-Into-It Kingdom.)

Edited on by Som64

-Green-

This basically describes everything Nintendo as a whole.

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Tyranexx

-Green- wrote:

This basically describes everything Nintendo as a whole.

Agreed. Some people are just asking to set themselves up for disappointment. We can't let those expectations run TOO wild, now.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Nicolai

Octane wrote:

Deserves a like.

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Dezzy

After they've done Odyssey, they really should do HD ports of the Galaxy games.

I was emulating Galaxy 2 the other day cos I finally got a decent PC. Running it at 1080p, it genuinely looks like it could've been made in 2017.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

FragRed

@Dezzy If Nintendo were to do a remaster of the Galaxy games, it wouldn't be for at least one year after the release of Mario Odyssey to ensure it doesn't impact on sales.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Haru17

@Nicolai I think it all works in Pauline's character except for the last verse, which is more of a call to action to buy the video game. It's a very smart song. As a 3D game supremacist, I took "as you move, side to side, They're just different points of view" to mean the side-scrolling parts of Odyssey. Even after Nintendo drew my ire by announcing two more untitled 2D platformers, hearing that verse was the least resentful I've ever felt about the company's insistence on holding onto the second dimension.

And to get into wilder speculation, "You could say my hat is off to you / Oh, we can zoom all the way to the moon," sounds like the game's prologue. As in Pauline is the Rosalina character of Odyssey, she sends Mario Cappy, and Mario finds her (the hat was a lady hat, right?) on the black and white moon level probably right after Peach gets abducted. Again, maybe reading too much into it, but the whole song has that kind of vibe to it.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Octane

@Dezzy Just release them as Wii downloads, and maybe add the option to display them in a higher resolution. Last thing I want is paying €60 again for a quick uprez. Unless they're planning to build the games from the ground up, but I don't see why they would be doing that, the games don't look that bad apart from their resolution.

I'm more interested in a Mario 64 (or Sunshine) remaster that looks like Odyssey in terms of visual fidelity.

Octane

Dezzy

@FragRed
I doubt a port of a Wii game would impact sales. They could give it a year between though.

Octane wrote:

@Dezzy Just release them as Wii downloads, and maybe add the option to display them in a higher resolution. Last thing I want is paying €60 again for a quick uprez. Unless they're planning to build the games from the ground up, but I don't see why they would be doing that, the games don't look that bad apart from their resolution.

Except "just release as Wii downloads" isn't one of their options with the Switch is it? It's a completely different architecture. They'd have to be fully software emulated as far as I can tell. Might not even be possible on the Switch. If it is possible, it'd be quite a lot of work for Nintendo. So I'd guess they'd probably just do official ports instead.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

TuVictus

An official 1080p dual pack of the games would be the best Switch game ever released assuming they don't do Galaxy 3

TuVictus

Maxz

And thus, the next 5 pages will be spent discussing whether or not Galaxy 1/2 is the best game ever.

Hasn't any new info on Odyssey been released recently?

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

TuVictus

Nope! But man those galaxy games are the best games ever

TuVictus

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic