Forums

Topic: Super Mario Odyssey

Posts 2,081 to 2,100 of 2,129

bluemage1989

@Snaplocket Sunshine HD is a must for Switch.

SW 6041 0289 6234

Currently Playing:

Switch: Super Smash Bros: Ultimate, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Arms and Mario Odyssey.

N64: Top Gear Rally.

Mega Drive: Streets of Rage 1, 2 and 3.

SNES: F Zero and Donkey Kong Country.

bluemage1989

@ReaderRagfish that truck. Even having put so many hours into it over the years I still can't master it. I'd say every time I have to use it my success is more luck than skill.

SW 6041 0289 6234

Currently Playing:

Switch: Super Smash Bros: Ultimate, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Arms and Mario Odyssey.

N64: Top Gear Rally.

Mega Drive: Streets of Rage 1, 2 and 3.

SNES: F Zero and Donkey Kong Country.

SuperGhirahim64

@Snaplocket that's cool, they're great games too. I can't see the downsides of Odyssey and upsides of the ones you mentioned. None of them are perfect, no game is but it's great you got that enjoyment from them.

@readerragfish thanks for that my friend! I am looking forward to trying it out. That sounds what I'm after to be honest. As long as it doesn't feel unfair I won't have an issue with it I am sure. One game I was surprised of recently feeling that it was unfair that I didn't experience when I first played it was crash bandicoot. I really can't believe it even got a 3rd entry. The mascot thing pulled it right through. It is a game that kills you for things that aren't your fault.

@bluemage1989 strangely I've got Rare Replay but not an Xbox one. I watched an Xbox conference a couple of years ago and they gave away Rare Replay if you watched it. I didn't realise and eventually claimed it thankfully!

Yeah I think Jetpac was tolerable through DK64 but I don't enjoy a lot of Pre N64 except for DKC titles in terms of Rare. Ghoulies I've played on Xbox. It's alright but it'd have done better on GameCube. The audience was waiting on it alongside Banjo 3. It'd have been a good one a year or so after Luigi's Mansion. Nothing special but plenty of charm and nice to play.

BT was too complex at times I felt but a great game that tried to innovate on how you discover secrets, especially in those sorts of games were just a new environment interests you. Both great games but Banjo is the standard I feel.

I get what you mean with Tony hawk. A series that desperately needs fluidity is DK, specifically a 3D sequel to DK64 developed by Nintendo. Fluidity like in Mario Odyssey would have it as a top title. I wouldn't say no to your hopes for Odyssey DLC, but it's difficult to know if they'll do much more to the game. It's a great engine to remaster SM64 in HD, that's what I'd have a less experienced team sort out.

Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it. I really hope you enjoy the game. In terms of the genre there are plenty of things going for it, but for me there are some strange choices within the game by Playtonic. I think it provides the next game of theirs with plenty of promise though. There first one was never going to be easy. As a Banjo fan there's plenty to appreciate. I honestly hope it's a blast for you.

Edited on by SuperGhirahim64

Why choose from a range of great characters like Wario, Waluigi or Baby Luigi, when you have all green jelly Luigi and Toadette. Why have regular Toad and Toadette or another character when you can have a blue or yellow dressed Toad? 😵

toiletduck

Topic hi-jack alert!

Please wake me up if you address Odyssey again.

toiletduck

SuperGhirahim64

@ReaderRagfish can't argue there my friend. I think Odyssey might be the catalyst in these franchises going forward. It's very similar to BotW in many ways too, but it showcases how a similar style can be so different. The freedom to collect moons whatever order you want, the improved how to play tutorial, the nostalgia trips, the fun element just from exploring and through things like costumes and the fact that every level is a joy to play with a character that moved so freely with that environment. If a new 3D DK brought that, I'd be very excited. @toiletduck we are still talking about it lol like how other games can learn from Odyssey mainly.

Why choose from a range of great characters like Wario, Waluigi or Baby Luigi, when you have all green jelly Luigi and Toadette. Why have regular Toad and Toadette or another character when you can have a blue or yellow dressed Toad? 😵

FireMario887

I'll readily acknowledge that I am branching off into an entirely random and potentially incredulous topic, but boy, do I despise Bound Bowl racing. I've only managed to score 100% completion in this game once. I'm working towards doing it again, but I doubt I'll be able to muster the strength to strain through Bound Bowl racing in the Snow Kingdom once again. Rrrgghh... If I remember correctly, it is a real shame that there was no difficulty upscale for the RC race course. That's actually fun and fair

FireMario887

Grumblevolcano

The pattern has been broken, doesn't seem to be hint art this time so maybe that's on a 3 or 4 week schedule now.

EDIT: Looked closer and there were already 2 cases of 3 week gaps between hint arts before.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Grumblevolcano

Zombie Outfit and new Snapshot filters are now present.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Grumblevolcano

Santa Outfit and 8-bit Mario Cap out now. This leaves Hint Art 20 as the last known content remaining.

Grumblevolcano

Toy_Link

I don't think we'll get DLC for SMO, I think a SMO 2 is being made instead.

Legal threats that have gone nowhere: 1

nocdaes

Mrtoad wrote:

I don't think we'll get DLC for SMO, I think a SMO 2 is being made instead.

Yep, I 100% agree. I'm hoping the overcrowded 2019 slate will mean it comes in 2020 and therefore gets a significant amount of time and resource put into the development. It'll be a sequel in name, but a far superior game in every way.

nocdaes

Grumblevolcano

The Switch news article for the Santa Outfit and 8-bit Mario Cap says "Look forward to more updates in the future" so at the very least, that's a confirmation stuff is happening with Odyssey this year. What that is we'll just have to wait and see.

Grumblevolcano

bixente

It took me a little while to get into this, but this last week I've been playing it to death. Love it to bits.

Friend code

SW-0378-6005-8904

Henmii

So this weekend I finally played the vr bit. Well you really need the headset for that (wich I don't have). Without it its terrible, as expected.

Edited on by Henmii

Henmii

Dezzy

Well I've finished the main campaign for the game already. Took me less than a week of playing a few hours here and there. I think it partly went by so quickly because I was enjoying it so much and eager to keep seeing more, but at the same time I'm kinda disappointed by how short it feels and how few worlds there are.

I know in terms of time spent playing, it's pretty much the same length as every 3D mario game. But I think the smaller number of levels makes it feel smaller to me. It certainly feels a lot smaller than the Galaxy games. Either way, it's definitely the 2nd best Nintendo game I've played in recent years, after Breath of the Wild of course. Really doesn't come close to the Galaxy games for me though. Here's my general positives and negatives:

Positives
-Controls are near-perfect as always in 3D mario.
-The best graphics on the system (I have no idea how they got the Metro Kingdom running at 60fps)
-Some brilliantly creative game mechanics. I loved the bulbs with extendable legs, the 2D sections, the zip mechanic and the guys who live in a bubble of water and shoot jets to move around.
-Some of the best level design they've ever done, in terms of both aesthetics and gameplay/exploration. The Metro Kingdom, the Seaside Kingdom and the Cascade Kingdom, were my favourites (only done a small bit of the mushroom kingdom)

Negatives
-Too short, needed about 3 more worlds to feel complete. Too much padding by overabundance of collectibles.
-The bosses were quite poor compared to other 3D mario games. No way near as creative as the Galaxy bosses.
-Story felt even more generic and less meaningful than usual. Really feels like they could do a bit more to make it feel important, whilst still keeping it a predominantly gameplay focused experience.
-Feels like it didn't really live up to the media hype. This got the same metacritic score as Breath of the Wild. It really isn't on that same level for me at all.

All that said, I'm thoroughly anticipating a sequel (or preferably Galaxy 3).

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

1UP_MARIO

@Dezzy now the main game begins.

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5229-5058-9308

RR529

@Dezzy, new moons become available to collect in all of the worlds once you clear the story, and there are two more post game worlds after the Mushroom Kingdom that unlock once you reach certain thresholds in your moon collecting (though they're both more challenge oriented with one big challenge each, although the first of the two does have a few extra, really hard to get moons beyond it's main goal).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

kkslider5552000

I need to get back to this game. Based on what I played, through the ending, it's easily my favorite Nintendo game since the original Xenoblade Chronicles. Even with the minor issues and it being probably too easy, I adored it. And also, it's my 3rd favorite 3d platformer, only behind Mario Galaxy and Banjo Kazooie.

Though I've heard enough that I'll probably not even try to 100% it. Doesn't seem like a worthwhile thing in this game (or most longer games tbh).

NB, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic