Forums

Topic: Super Mario Odyssey

Posts 2,001 to 2,020 of 2,057

Grumblevolcano

The Switch news article for the Santa Outfit and 8-bit Mario Cap says "Look forward to more updates in the future" so at the very least, that's a confirmation stuff is happening with Odyssey this year. What that is we'll just have to wait and see.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

bixente

It took me a little while to get into this, but this last week I've been playing it to death. Love it to bits.

Friend code

SW-0378-6005-8904

Henmii

So this weekend I finally played the vr bit. Well you really need the headset for that (wich I don't have). Without it its terrible, as expected.

Edited on by Henmii

Henmii

Dezzy

Well I've finished the main campaign for the game already. Took me less than a week of playing a few hours here and there. I think it partly went by so quickly because I was enjoying it so much and eager to keep seeing more, but at the same time I'm kinda disappointed by how short it feels and how few worlds there are.

I know in terms of time spent playing, it's pretty much the same length as every 3D mario game. But I think the smaller number of levels makes it feel smaller to me. It certainly feels a lot smaller than the Galaxy games. Either way, it's definitely the 2nd best Nintendo game I've played in recent years, after Breath of the Wild of course. Really doesn't come close to the Galaxy games for me though. Here's my general positives and negatives:

Positives
-Controls are near-perfect as always in 3D mario.
-The best graphics on the system (I have no idea how they got the Metro Kingdom running at 60fps)
-Some brilliantly creative game mechanics. I loved the bulbs with extendable legs, the 2D sections, the zip mechanic and the guys who live in a bubble of water and shoot jets to move around.
-Some of the best level design they've ever done, in terms of both aesthetics and gameplay/exploration. The Metro Kingdom, the Seaside Kingdom and the Cascade Kingdom, were my favourites (only done a small bit of the mushroom kingdom)

Negatives
-Too short, needed about 3 more worlds to feel complete. Too much padding by overabundance of collectibles.
-The bosses were quite poor compared to other 3D mario games. No way near as creative as the Galaxy bosses.
-Story felt even more generic and less meaningful than usual. Really feels like they could do a bit more to make it feel important, whilst still keeping it a predominantly gameplay focused experience.
-Feels like it didn't really live up to the media hype. This got the same metacritic score as Breath of the Wild. It really isn't on that same level for me at all.

All that said, I'm thoroughly anticipating a sequel (or preferably Galaxy 3).

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

1UP_MARIO

@Dezzy now the main game begins.

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

RR529

@Dezzy, new moons become available to collect in all of the worlds once you clear the story, and there are two more post game worlds after the Mushroom Kingdom that unlock once you reach certain thresholds in your moon collecting (though they're both more challenge oriented with one big challenge each, although the first of the two does have a few extra, really hard to get moons beyond it's main goal).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

kkslider5552000

I need to get back to this game. Based on what I played, through the ending, it's easily my favorite Nintendo game since the original Xenoblade Chronicles. Even with the minor issues and it being probably too easy, I adored it. And also, it's my 3rd favorite 3d platformer, only behind Mario Galaxy and Banjo Kazooie.

Though I've heard enough that I'll probably not even try to 100% it. Doesn't seem like a worthwhile thing in this game (or most longer games tbh).

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Dezzy

RR529 wrote:

@Dezzy, new moons become available to collect in all of the worlds once you clear the story, and there are two more post game worlds after the Mushroom Kingdom that unlock once you reach certain thresholds in your moon collecting (though they're both more challenge oriented with one big challenge each, although the first of the two does have a few extra, really hard to get moons beyond it's main goal).

Yep I already unlocked the Dark Side of the Moon.

I'd just assumed all of the new moons it adds into the worlds are generic collectible types, rather than anything interesting. Is that correct?

Dezzy

95% chance they're currently making it.

DenDen

Yeash big change they are making it.
What whould you like to see?

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

Dezzy

Obviously a completely new set of worlds and enemies for capturing.

Also maybe a hub world that links everything together and gives some kind of narrative structure to everything. I prefer when it feels like there's some overarching mission going on, rather than just a series of random levels.

Galaxy 1 did that perfectly.

toiletduck

@Dezzy I totally agree that the main game feels short and the collectathon doesn't make up for that. I got bored after a while with purposelessly hunting for moons. I understand a lot of people really liked that, but it's just not my cup of tea. Also, it's not really fair comparing any game to Galaxy 1, right? 😉 Feels like we're on the same page here.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

kkslider5552000

I did get back to it, going through post-game (which cleverly uses a Peach trip to send you to replay levels), still loving it. I also love BOTW, but it did kinda feel like it went a bit too far with having you collect stuff in such a vast world, like getting all the armor upgrades is the game asking you to waste time at a certain point. I'm ignoring the new moons you collect when you break the...whatever it is, for now. So the way I'm playing it, essentially I'm making it so I go through the individual levels in a row, but potentially three times. First for the story, then for post-game, then for the extra moons you can unlock from breaking...seriously I don't remember what the thing is supposed to be. It's such a clever way of doing things, it's more like three playthroughs of other 3d platformers (though 2 if you don't do it like I am) rather than just exploring a singular open world for 100s of hours. And because I only did slightly above the bare minimum of moons for each world on a first playthrough, there's still fun and compelling challenges left (some of which I want to say I can only get to now?).

Point is I just love the pacing and how they found a compromise between actual level design in 3d platformers and the modern obsession with absurdly large games with absurd amount of things to do. And like BOTW (and even more like BOTW) it feels like it's up to the player to decide how much they want to do. Honestly makes me wish this is how DK64 had done things (which still would be 2 less playthroughs per level lololololol). And for both games, it should really be emphasized that no one should feel obligated to do everything in these games. I wouldn't even recommend it for all of the old Zeldas and Marios tbh, 100% completion is often not the ideal way to play these games. So I don't know how I'll feel about post-game by the end, but there's basically no way it will take away from how much I loved the first 15 hours.

but all that said, i dont want this all the time by any means, give me more great linear games and galaxy 3 plz

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Dezzy

@toiletduck

Although I have noticed that quite a few of the post-game are interesting challenges. I assumed they were all just meaningless collectathon stuff, but quite a few are more developed. So it's not as bad as I assumed.

toiletduck

@Dezzy that's definitely through! I recall having a hard time distinguishing the ones being worth while from the boring ones though. Eventually that made me drop out...

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

Luna_110

The only particular thing I hated in the post game was the snow race. I had collected every moon in the worlds prior to that one, but that snow race was enough to make do the Dark Side and then drop the game. It isn’t a fun mini game and I hope it doesn’t come back.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

MrGam3andBu1ld

Hey does anyone know who did the mario mobile wallpaper art for Super Mario Odyssey. It's very close to yoichi kotabe's style, but he's been retired for some time now. I'm trying to find more of it because I love the style.

Zelda Enthusiast
Part of the Poltergust Ghost Removal Company
Power Up collector
Majoring in Smash

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic