Forums

Topic: Super Mario Odyssey

Posts 1,921 to 1,940 of 2,117

spaceagehero

I've been playing fairly consistently since the game was released and only have 550 moons. Not sure if I have the patience to keep going for much longer tbh.

spaceagehero

Luna_110

I prefer to use the hint toad and the amiibo thing, since I'm aiming (at least for now) for the 100%.
What is more complicated sometimes are the final purple coins of each world since you don't have hints for that.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

Simkro

Hi there ! I made this fan art for this beautiful game, i don't know where to drop it ! I hope you'll like it !
[removed]

Edited on by Octane

Simkro

Scrummer

@Simkro Cool!

Scrummer

Switch Friend Code: SW-7938-1793-3581 | My Nintendo: Scrummer

Simkro

@Scrummer Thank's bro !
i'll maybe make music of splatoon, i'll see

Simkro

bluemage1989

Just finished the story and was very happy so far. Looking forward to all the postgame stuff. At around 400 power moons so far and will keep going till it stops being fun but can see myself going for 100%. Purple coins though they will be a real ballache I think.

A few things I loved.

Great worlds. New Donk being a standout maybe even the best 3D Mario world ever made.

Looks great plays smooth. Great controls.

The jumping on the final world felt great.

Good outfits/collectibles

A few things I didn't like though.

Coop was awkward and just not very fun. Would have liked some second character action but guess was not possible.

Luncheon Kingdom. Just hated everything about it.

The hint art moons are a great idea but seem a bit to abstract to find. Sure a lot of people enjoy them but don't work for me.

SW 6041 0289 6234

Currently Playing:

Switch: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido, Battle Chasers: Nightwar and Arms.

WiiU: Mario Party 10.

N64: Donkey Kong 64 and Jet Force Gemini.

Xbox One: Assassins Creed: Unity.

gcunit

Been keeping out of this thread to avoid spoilers, having been only playing this in fits and starts, not particularly going crazy for it. But jumped in again last night and finally advanced to New Donk City, and it's become a lot more fun for me (not to say it wasn't fun before, but it wasn't quite living up to expectations).

All I got to say for now is, @Ralizah, you gotta up your game bro'!

Untitled

Use the 'ignore' button, it works.

Currently playing: Runner 3; Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood; Kirby Triple Deluxe; ICO; FIFA 18; Owlboy

Nothing is true; Everything is permitted.

Agriculture

Does anyone else feel this game is too "digital"? In Super Mario 64 you could get the wing cap and fly around organically, reaching any height. In Odyssey you can capture a Gushen which lets you "fly" an exact distance from the ground. In Super Mario Sunshine you can dash around the world any way you want. In Odyssey you have three basic outcomes, either the jump works, or it's never going to work, or you can do that "combo trick" where you bounce of your hat, which is just annoying to do with the motion controls.

In other Mario games you have been able to get to places by repeatably try to use Marios existing move sets more efficiently. Even Bethesda games have that now, letting you climb anywhere just by trying to jump and move over slopes. I don't even think Mario reacts to the slope of whatever he is standing on anymore (which he did in 64).

Agriculture

Ralizah

@gcunit Consider my game upped, bro.

https://twitter.com/Michael_418/status/950367380571529216

No, but seriously, good job.

Edited on by Ralizah

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

GoldenGamer88

@gcunit @Ralizah To this day, I have no idea how anybody could find enjoyment in this hellish minigame. By the time I finally reached 100, almost an entire day of nothing but jumprope had passed, several death threats to the two ladies swinging the rope were made and the Switch was almost thrown through a window. Did it once and NEVER again. This jumprope is the reason I‘ll never complete the game ever again!

Join the NL Inklings Discord Server: https://discord.gg/5gf7xg3

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-8427-0621-0325, Username: Montillo
PSN: Montillo88

Nintendo Network ID: Montillo

Ralizah

@GoldenGamer88 It's hellish until it's not, if that makes sense. Took me about thirty minutes this morning to pull this off, and I'd say 5/6 of that time was me struggling to clear 60 points. Once you get a good thing goin', though...

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

NEStalgia

@Luna_110 Yeah, I'm missing 2-3 purple coins in a lot of worlds preventing me from getting that final trophy for each. It's pretty annoying. Up to 760 moons though. I was hoping to 100% but there are a few challenges (some of those timed challenges in the next to last world are ABSURD, I burned 1200 coins , and that final gauntlet I keep getting so far but my patience wears out after repeating it so many times and I'll end up giving up.) Also, screw jump rope and volley ball. Those are simply obnoxious and not fun. (I would have thought @ralizah would have been content with THAT difficulty! )

@Agriculture 64 was emphasizing the freedom of motion previously unseen even if it broke puzzles and direct play. Free flight in a platform isn't really a great plan if the moons are located based on the ground physics rather than being just "anywhere." The Gushen is a glider, not a flying hat. It's not artificially limited, it's designed to do what it does. (Ok, lets be real, the Gushen is the Hylian Kite.......)

Odyssey (and Galaxy for that matter) build upon the lessons of 2D platformers in away that 64 kind of threw out the window as a grand (but flawed outside rose colored nostalgia goggles) experiment in the new medium of 3D. As a Mario player from day one, 64 always felt like a weird spinoff to me, not "the next Mario game." Galaxy and Odyssey feel like Mario games.

Mario reacts to slopes but the gravity isn't as sloppy as 64. And you can play with your moveset to cheat the system a bit, throwing your hat, wall jumping differently, etc. But it is designed around the physics of platforming more than the "sandbox" concept, which isn't a bad thing for the evolution of a platformer. Sonic could take some notes here.

NEStalgia

Anti-Matter

GoldenGamer88 wrote:

@gcunit @Ralizah To this day, I have no idea how anybody could find enjoyment in this hellish minigame. By the time I finally reached 100, almost an entire day of nothing but jumprope had passed, several death threats to the two ladies swinging the rope were made and the Switch was almost thrown through a window. Did it once and NEVER again. This jumprope is the reason I‘ll never complete the game ever again!

Wait, how did you almost throw your Switch ?

My Top 5 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (10 / 10)
2. The Sims series (9 / 10)
3. Portal Knights Switch (9 / 10)
4. Animal Crossing New Leaf 3DS (9 / 10)
5. ARMS (8 / 10)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608

GoldenGamer88

@Anti-Matter Step 1: Get really really REALLY mad at the jumprope after hours of soul-crashing failure.
Step 2: Get up in a rage
Step 3: Take Switch out of its dock.
Step 4: Prepare to throw Switch in whichever direction you fancy.
Step 5: Stop yourself from throwing the Switch because you‘ve realized how much the system means to you.

@Ralizah Yeah, eventually I could get to 60 pretty easily and consistently but at that point I was just so choked up and nervous that I had a hard time keeping the rhythm.

Join the NL Inklings Discord Server: https://discord.gg/5gf7xg3

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-8427-0621-0325, Username: Montillo
PSN: Montillo88

Nintendo Network ID: Montillo

Agriculture

NEStalgia wrote:

@Luna_110 Yeah, I'm missing 2-3 purple coins in a lot of worlds preventing me from getting that final trophy for each. It's pretty annoying. Up to 760 moons though. I was hoping to 100% but there are a few challenges (some of those timed challenges in the next to last world are ABSURD, I burned 1200 coins , and that final gauntlet I keep getting so far but my patience wears out after repeating it so many times and I'll end up giving up.) Also, screw jump rope and volley ball. Those are simply obnoxious and not fun. (I would have thought @ralizah would have been content with THAT difficulty! )

@Agriculture 64 was emphasizing the freedom of motion previously unseen even if it broke puzzles and direct play. Free flight in a platform isn't really a great plan if the moons are located based on the ground physics rather than being just "anywhere." The Gushen is a glider, not a flying hat. It's not artificially limited, it's designed to do what it does. (Ok, lets be real, the Gushen is the Hylian Kite.......)

Odyssey (and Galaxy for that matter) build upon the lessons of 2D platformers in away that 64 kind of threw out the window as a grand (but flawed outside rose colored nostalgia goggles) experiment in the new medium of 3D. As a Mario player from day one, 64 always felt like a weird spinoff to me, not "the next Mario game." Galaxy and Odyssey feel like Mario games.

Mario reacts to slopes but the gravity isn't as sloppy as 64. And you can play with your moveset to cheat the system a bit, throwing your hat, wall jumping differently, etc. But it is designed around the physics of platforming more than the "sandbox" concept, which isn't a bad thing for the evolution of a platformer. Sonic could take some notes here.

Mario's run speed is affected by slopes, but that wasn't what I meant. In Super Mario 64 any interaction with a surface is dependent on what angle you hit it. This is especially obvious when flying or firing Mario out of a canon. If you hit Mario into a wall at an angle, his trajectory will change according to how you would expect it to. Super Mario 64 also had stars that where high up, and then you could use any means to get there.

Agriculture

NEStalgia

@Agriculture Yeah, the slopes did that, but it also breaks the lessons of 2D platforming. It's a tight balance and, IMO, 64 didn't get the balance right. Miyamoto was very infatuated with the newfound freedom of 3D at the time and was into experimenting with it. 64 shows it's role as an experiment by throwing out some important conventions that ground a platformer and throwing in more sandbox/experimentation elements. It didn't make 64 a bad game, but it made it fall short as a platformer evolved into 3D and made it a sort of sandbox game. The fact that they never quite duplicated those errors, is, IMO a good thing. 64 deserves its place in history, but it's objectively a very unrefined game with too many rough edges that defied its pedigree. I'm always surprised by how much a core group seems to revere that game. Other than Sunshine it always seemed like the red-headed step-child of the Mario lineup, and arrived marking a period of sharply diminishing Nintendo influence in the industry. I think a lot of NES/SNES players were a little off-put by 64, but a lot kids a little younger stared with 64 so it always has a rosier glow. It started good things, good things that bring us Odyssey today....but it's implementation wasn't the end-all.

@GoldenGamer88 At least I'm not the only one that hates that jump rope. It feels like something that either A) Wasn't playtested, or B) there's a trick to it we're all missing that we're supposed to be cheating with. The name "Jumprope genius" makes me think there's merit to that latter theory. I'm ok calling a game 100% when it means "100% of the parts that aren't broken."

NEStalgia

Ralizah

I'd never go for world leaderboards on the jumprope thing just because so many people have 99,999 points after abusing that one glitch with the bird.

Honestly, those rooms with the invisible platforms and poison-spitting piranha plants everywhere are about 100x harder than anything else in the game, last level and jumprope included.

Edited on by Ralizah

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

Agriculture

NEStalgia wrote:

@Agriculture Yeah, the slopes did that, but it also breaks the lessons of 2D platforming. It's a tight balance and, IMO, 64 didn't get the balance right. Miyamoto was very infatuated with the newfound freedom of 3D at the time and was into experimenting with it. 64 shows it's role as an experiment by throwing out some important conventions that ground a platformer and throwing in more sandbox/experimentation elements. It didn't make 64 a bad game, but it made it fall short as a platformer evolved into 3D and made it a sort of sandbox game. The fact that they never quite duplicated those errors, is, IMO a good thing. 64 deserves its place in history, but it's objectively a very unrefined game with too many rough edges that defied its pedigree. I'm always surprised by how much a core group seems to revere that game. Other than Sunshine it always seemed like the red-headed step-child of the Mario lineup, and arrived marking a period of sharply diminishing Nintendo influence in the industry. I think a lot of NES/SNES players were a little off-put by 64, but a lot kids a little younger stared with 64 so it always has a rosier glow. It started good things, good things that bring us Odyssey today....but it's implementation wasn't the end-all.

I'm not talking about any of those things. I'm talking about the game feel, and how Mario felt like a real entity in the game world, reacting how one would expect. In Odyssey he feels more artificial because of hard limits on what you can do. Comparing the flood from Sunshine and the Gushen capture from Odyssey it's very clear that Odyssey is more digital, while Sunshine is more analog. Of course I understand that the flood ruined a lot of platforming because it was overpowered, but it was much more fun to play around with because it didn't have the same limitations that the Gushen has.

It (the Gushen) goes from zero to full speed almost right away and has a hard limit on how high you can fly. The flood isn't like that at all, and you can freely experiment with it.

Agriculture

1UP_MARIO

@NEStalgia I was in a similar position finished the whole game just needed purple coins in the last areas. I gave up and used bowser amiibo

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5229-5058-9308

NEStalgia

@Ralizah What's the bird trick? Do share! I can't get past 60 let alone 100, let alone 99,999

Oh geeze, yeah, that room with the invisible platforms, poison prihanas, and no hat is abusive. As is the bottom level moon of the "thousand bullet bills and a giant one behind you" (with no hat). It would be ok, but the long-jump controls are too fiddly to really be able to rely on them at the pace and precision needed to skip across, what, 6 platforms in a row, and the camera can never be locked to the right angle at the pace needed to spin back around when the big bill launches and get that fiddly long-jump sequence going. There was a third room with no hat there that I also skipped for the same reason, but can't remember what it was. That's 5 stars I don't think I'll ever get. Plus jumprope and vball (jumprope is abusive. vball I probably "could" do but the startup is so slow I have no desire to do it over and over until I get it.) Eventually I could probably get the last level, but it's frustrating redoing the early parts over and over just to keep retrying the last part. That pirhana and giant bullet room though....no thanks. Not ever.

@Agriculture We'll I don't think you're wrong. I suppose it's more digital. But technically I'd say a platformer MUST be digital...it was a genre born of digital limits. Translating that digital limitation to a 3D world has been quite a challenge, and one could argue with Odyssey, 20 years later, they finally nailed it. Galaxy did a pretty solid job too, so I guess it only took 13 years or so. Sunshine.....really was more sandbox than platformer, so I can excuse that as being really a different genre, and more of a spinoff than a core numbered title.

It may be more "digital" but I'm not sure if that's a bad thing.

NEStalgia

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic