Forums

Topic: Super Mario Party (Switch)

Posts 101 to 120 of 140

Sisilly_G

@toiletduck : Oh... so that's what the colours represented.

Lol.

I had no idea. Cheers.

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

FaeKnight

Where is the "challenge road" mode? Or is that the thing unlocked when you've unlocked all mini-games? Which I assume means "play every other mode at least once".

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

@FaeKnight It's unlocked when you've unlocked all the minigames.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

FaeKnight

Ah, yeah, just saw the unlock requirements earlier today while messing around in free play mode. I had a few minutes, but not enough for a dedicated Mario Party game. Looks like I need to do Sound Stage once or twice more (and hope to get lucky) and River Survival to unlock the remaining games.

FaeKnight

toiletduck

Some things I'd like for DLC/updates, in order of importance to me:

• custom rules (e.g. bonus stars settings, allies, number of turns, win rules (number of stars, first to # stars, number of coins, enable/disable certain items or board actions, etc.), extra help (coins, stars) for the little kids, etc.); a bit like it's done in Mario Kart
  • more boards
  • a 'board shuffle' option: all spaces are randomized (or some other option that give the current boards more replay value)

I'd go for extra game modes but I don't think that's realistic. I don't really care about new characters, but they'll probably come anyway. I also don't care for online boards with strangers; multiplayer is a local feature for me personally.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

FaeKnight

I'd be interested in online Party mode though. Maybe online River Survival as well (or instead).

FaeKnight

farrow000

I didn't like it because there isn't much to do once to play through 4 boards and without able to play the boards online with friends and randoms. Would of been awesome play with 3 other people anywhere in the world. The mini games are okay but its over straight away.

farrow000

My Nintendo: SW-3219-1520-3721

toiletduck

In the article about Birdo on this website I noticed that the game was translated to Dutch. I don't have my Switch on me right now so I can't check. Is the language changed in the Switch system's settings? I don't want the OS to operate in Dutch and I definitely don't want other games to be in Dutch, but while playing with kids it could be convenient to set the language to Dutch every now and then. There's no in game setting for this now is there?

toiletduck

KnightsTemplar

I have 3 young girls and i got to say. Its the best 4 player game we have played in a long time. And for me its reminds me so much of the old mario party i used to play with my mates after school. We would play fors hours and hours. Thanks nintendo. I would nearly say the switch is the best system since the N64 ( and i loved the 64 ) and thanks for bringing mario party back. Now just bring me all the zeldas!!!

KnightsTemplar

TuVictus

One complaint I have is that the lucky and unlucky spaces don't feel nearly substantial enough. I feel like there should be worse than just gain or lose a few coins or mushrooms

TuVictus

Sisilly_G

@toiletduck : Most games do not have in-game language settings, unfortunately. Unless they do, the game will default to the language settings of the console itself.

I understand your disappointment though as games can be a great tool for teaching languages to children who also speak another language at home.

Edited on by Sisilly_G

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

FaeKnight

PikPi wrote:

One complaint I have is that the lucky and unlucky spaces don't feel nearly substantial enough. I feel like there should be worse than just gain or lose a few coins or mushrooms

In the last 3 turns the bad luck spaces do become Extra Bad Luck spaces. Which are much much worse. Things like losing stars or giving stars to the person in 4th place. Last night I played a match with a friend, and he chose Bowser. He was in the lead with 5 stars on turn 17. At which point he landed on a Bad Luck space with no allies or items. Turn 18 he rolled -2 Coins Star given to 4th place player. Turn 19 Peach used a poison mushroom on him, and he rolled a modified 0 on the standard die. Star gone. Turn 20 he Mario hit him with a poison mushroom and he rolled a modified 0. Star lost yet again.

It was hilarious and frustrating at the same time.

FaeKnight

DarkSim01

@toiletduck totally agree with custom rules as well. At least some options.

DarkSim01

FaeKnight

With stars only (usually) costing 10 coins twenty turns feels plenty long, maybe even a little too long considering how often matches end up with everyone having 4 or 5 stars (at least). But I do wonder why the max turn limit is 20. As well as why they halved the cost of stars.

Also, don't think I like the Kamak's Tower board. It's too linear, since there's only one location to get stars from. And the choices for which path to take to get there aren't really a choice. From my testing, the first person to go past the Thwomp can set the initial price to pass it where ever they want. At which point if they've gotten a bunch of coins already nobody else will ever try taking that path. Oh, and you risk being forced to loop back to the start without a chance for a star. Why would you ever chose to take that path, when both shops are on the other path. And the risk of losing 5-7 coins to a chain chomp is really minor in comparison.

FaeKnight

FaeKnight

ReaderRagfish wrote:

@FaeKnight Kamak's Tower sounds similar to Mario's Rainbow Castle from the first game where everyone walks along one path to the end before getting sent back to start, but the character waiting at the end switches between Toad and Bowser whenever someone either reaches the end or lands on a ? space.

It was great fun and allowed for that signature Mario Party style of accidentally screwing over your opponents.

I did that board while playing Mario, and used his dice block most of the time since it is fairly reliable. Weirdly, every time I got up there the price of stars was 5 coins each. And every time someone else got up there it was 10 to 15 coins each. Often with the person who reached the stars only having enough to afford one star (other then me, who could easily afford both stars).

FaeKnight

Laoak

The new boat minigame though XD Row Row Row your boat gently down the stream, if you keep doing those hand movements, Im going to scream!

{funny quote here}

1UP_MARIO

Got my chance to play it with my kids today. We love it. Great fun.

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

FaeKnight

I've changed my mind. After being swatted over passing someone (and using a red shell) in Mario Kart, maybe I'm glad that you can't play the basic Party mode online. River Survival might be fun though.

FaeKnight

FaeKnight

This is my first Mario Party game, and I'm having a great time with it. That said, my understanding is that the Wii Mario Party games are looked down upon due to motion control mini-games that had not quite functional motion controls. Not sure since I never played them. And the Wii U ones are hated for having short, linnear boards and changing the format from a chaotic "everyone for them self" board game to a "Everyone rides in the same vehicle and are just along for the ride" style of game. From what I've seen of let's plays of Mario Party 10, I'd agree that it looks kind of boring. In Bowser mode the person playing as Bowser has a hard time keeping up with the vehicle. And even when they do catch up it looks like it'd be really difficult for the Bowser player to knock anyone out. Oh, and mini games only occur if Bowser catches up. Oh, and the winner of mini games has apparently been rather random for the last few games in the series.

On the flip side, the only real complaint I've seen for Super Mario Party is that it only has 4 boards for Party mode. The mini-games are all fun. The motion control and rumble based mini-games work exactly as they are suppose to, assuming you pay attention and know what you're suppose to be doing. And the main game mode of a 4 player free for all board game has returned. That seems to be the biggest point in the game's favor from what I can tell.

FaeKnight

toiletduck

toiletduck wrote:

Some things I'd like for DLC/updates, in order of importance to me:

• custom rules (e.g. bonus stars settings, allies, number of turns, win rules (number of stars, first to # stars, number of coins, enable/disable certain items or board actions, etc.), extra help (coins, stars) for the little kids, etc.); a bit like it's done in Mario Kart
  • more boards
  • a 'board shuffle' option: all spaces are randomized (or some other option that give the current boards more replay value)

I'd go for extra game modes but I don't think that's realistic. I don't really care about new characters, but they'll probably come anyway. I also don't care for online boards with strangers; multiplayer is a local feature for me personally.

After playing a few rounds, I've realised I miss two more things:
1) save game and continue later on - an hour minimum is a bit long sometimes; it'd be great if we're able to start a game at one moment, then pause it for a while (e.g. when it's bedtime for the kids), play another game with the grown ups and continue the board the next morning.
2) drop in/drop out: sometimes we start with three but then someone else drops in unexpectedly and wants to play. It would be nice if it's possible if a human could take over a cpu during a game (or the other way around)

The current setup (start with x number of persons and finish with the same number, play for at least 60mins in one run) doesn't really with the Switch proposition.

toiletduck

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic