Forums

Topic: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Posts 721 to 740 of 2,139

NaviAndMii

@Tasuki Yeah, 4 player local split-screen multiplayer - even in tabletop mode (but 'Online' mode is 2 player only, locally) - and it supports single Joy-Con play as well (so you could do what you suggested and have 1 player using the left Joy-Con, 1 player the right and the other 2 using Pro's)

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Tasuki

@NaviAndMii Yeah Online only suits me but not my family we like to have 4 player offline matches. With the joy cons seperate do you have to use the motion control like in a steering wheel or can you press the buttons as normal?

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

NaviAndMii

@Tasuki Oh, that's okay then - 4 player local is supported, as is 2 player online ..and, yeah, you don't need motion controls on (even if using single Joy-Con) - 2 face buttons are used for accelerating/braking, one shoulder button for drifting, the other for weapons and the stick for steering - and this method is surprisingly comfortable too, especially with the (provided) wrist-straps on or if used with the (optional) wheel accessory! ..should be absolutely fine

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

RR529

In a suprise twist (didn't ask for anything gaming related this year), I recieved this from my brother for Christmas!

It's a pretty fun time (and definitely a looker!), but I'm not sure when I'll really have the time to dig into it, since I'm currently engrossed in Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

bluemage1989

Where does Nintendo go from here with Mario Kart?? Ideas??

bluemage1989

Lroy

Despite picking this game up at launch (and owning the Wii U game previously) I've only gotten to invest some real time into it over the past month or so. I've managed to three-star all the Grand Prix Cups up to and including Mirror. I'm now about to embark on 200cc and also tackle the Time Trials. I was wondering if anyone had tips for best character and vehicle set ups to tackle the Time Trials e.g. Is it ideal to use the same set-up as the staff ghosts or not etc. Is a particular character and kart and wheels best for 200cc etc. Cheers.

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 | 🚀
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

Zyrac

@Lroy The staff ghosts are just doing whatever; it's not beneficial to copy them. Exactly what's optimal depends on the track, but generally it's a good idea to use a heavyweight character and lightweight vehicle parts. Going for pure speed is actually not a good idea because it kills your miniturbo duration. Of course, pure acceleration is also a valid choice for making 200cc races less punishing.

Also, as a general tip for 200cc, there are many little shortcuts you can take by getting a miniturbo and jumping over grass to cut corners and the like.

Zyrac

Twitter:

Cynas

@Lroy I don't think it matters too much with your Kart setup for time trials. Personally I just went with my normal setup, which is a fairly even balance of all the stats. It can sometimes take a few tries to get them but most aren't too hard. As long as you use your mushroom on a shortcut for each lap you shouldn't have many issues.

For 200cc, when you're first starting out I'd recommend a setup with good acceleration and handling, not focusing much on speed. You'll already be going fast enough, and most of the time extra speed will just make you fly off the edge if you aren't used to it. Also don't be afraid to hold break and acceleration while drifting around corners if you feel you won't make it. Once you get really good at 200cc it's pretty fun to find shortcuts. There's plenty of places that require mushrooms in other 50-150cc that you can just plow right through without slowing down much in 200cc. You should look up some Youtube videos on the shortcuts because it'll really change way you play.

Edited on by Cynas

Cynas

Switch Friend Code: SW-5466-6715-6498

Lroy

@Xaldin @Zyrac Cheers for the prompt and precise responses! Very helpful, thank you.

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 | 🚀
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

Inkilink

Hey guys,

Regarding farming coins for deluxe, I've just tried to do 48 200cc vs games with 4 players on auto turn and auto acceleration, no coms or items but when it was finished I checked my coin count and it hadn't changed... In the last update did Nintendo patch this?!

Inkilink

Cynas

New update! Breath of the Wild Link with the divine beast cycle

Edited on by Cynas

Cynas

DarkSim01

I've posted a few ideas lately (I've had a lot of free time recently), but here's another one.

Of course there have been comments made that we'll have more updates coming for MK8D. I wanted to take it a step further and think about more DLC. It's a good moneymaker and given the popularity of this game, even this long after its release, I think a $25/30 DLC pack could make some money.

My thoughts for this are similar to the idea of SSBU... make the Ultimate edition. With that, I imagine the inclusion, or at least honorable references to all playable characters of the past (I'll note below), as well as some good retro course. But, to make it truly worth the value, you have to have new content, including more special guests.

The broad stroke:
6 new Grand Prix cups (24 tracks, 16 retro, 8 new)
8 new Battle courses (4 retro, 4 new)
2 character alternate skins
6 new characters
6 new vehicles

New Characters:
Birdo (stat clone of Yoshi)
Kamek (stat clone of Iggy)
Pauline (stat clone of Peach)
Diddy Kong (stat clone of Bowser Jr.)
Kirby (stat clone of Shy Guy)
Samus (stat clone of Waluigi, to celebrate Metroid Prime 4)
Captain Toad (alternate for Toad)
Paratroopa (alternate for Koopa Troopa)

New Vehicles:
New Donk City Taxi (Kart)
Samus' Gunship (Kart)
Jaxi (Cycle)
Warp Star (Cycle)
DK Barrel (ATV)
Magic Wand (ATV)

New Cups and Tracks:
Odyssey Cup: Fossil Falls, Forgotten Isle, New Donk City, Mount Volbono (All Kingdoms from Odyssey)
Moon Cup: Peach Circuit (GBA), Mushroom Bridge (GCN), Mushroom Gorge (Wii), Honeylune Ridge
Sunshine Cup: Kalimari Desert (N64), Daisy Cruiser (GCN), Shy Guy Bazaar (3DS), Mario Circuit 4 (SNES)
Jungle Cup: Koopa Beach 2 (SNES), Coconut Mall (Wii), Shroom Ridge (DS), Tropical Freeze
Dream Cup: Broken Pier (GBA), Rosalina's Ice World (3DS), Waluigi Pinball (DS), Dream Land
Metroid Cup: Banshee Boardwalk (N64), Ghost Valley 3 (SNES), Moonview Highway (Wii), Metroid Ship

Battle Courses:
Block Fort (N64)
Pipe Plaza (GCN)
Galaxy Colosseum (Wii)
Honey Hive (3DS)
Pac-Maze
Nintendo Land
Petey Piranha's Castle
Tosarena

Thoughts? Would you pay $30 for a DLC package like this for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe?

DarkSim01

Dogorilla

DarkSim01 wrote:

Thoughts? Would you pay $30 for a DLC package like this for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe?

Absolutely! This would be a great expansion to the game. I'm sure Nintendo must be working on something new to do with Mario Kart, but I wonder whether it will be DLC for MK8D or if it will be a brand new game.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

DarkSim01

Dogorilla wrote:

DarkSim01 wrote:

Absolutely! This would be a great expansion to the game. I'm sure Nintendo must be working on something new to do with Mario Kart, but I wonder whether it will be DLC for MK8D or if it will be a brand new game.

I know it's a lot, but for $30, and the game already being made, I think it could work.

@ReaderRagfish
I have a feeling they're putting a lot of focus on the mobile game and, if that's the case, we might have to wait longer for MK9. This could fill the gap nicely. The game definitely isn't perfect. But it's gotten new life on Switch and is easy to replay with friends.

DarkSim01

Cynas

Personally I think Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and the mobile phone game should be the last Mario Kart games. Anything after this should just be Nintendo Kart. They've already got multiple series represented in Mario Kart 8, might as well go all the way. It'll give so much more opportunities with potential stages, characters, and items. It could have been something Nintendo has planned for a while, and introducing characters outside of the Mario universe in 8 may have been their way of slowly getting us used to the idea and getting a feel for what gamers think of it.

Cynas

DarkSim01

@Cynas I certainly agree with that. That's one reason I added in Samus and Kirby to my list. To expand what you mentioned, they have Link, Inklings, Isabelle and Villagers, various vehicles for them, a Hyrule Castle track, Animal Crossing track, two F-Zero tracks and Blue Falcon. I would love to see other added in. It would basically be Smash Bros. Melee Kart.

DarkSim01

gcunit

@Cynas While the idea of a Nintendo Kart is mouth watering, MK8/D sales suggest the series is going strong as is. And by turning it into Nintendo Kart its kind of a one-way, no going back, trip. Returning to the old Mario Kart would be a tough sell. The reason I think that's a problem is that by merging IPs across the board, the higher the risk of Nintendo IP fatigue.

That said, I'd love a Nintendo Kart, and some sort of platformer with the Smash Ultimate roster available as playable characters.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Cynas

@DarkSim01 If there's more DLC to be added to the game I would be jumping with excitement if we got what you suggested. I have doubts that a substantial DLC pack will come for MK8D though since so much time has passed since the game's release. I'm betting they're probably working on the next game by now. For an entirely new game, I'd like the concept of having a variety of Nintendo characters be pushed further and to have an even distribution, not just the focus on Mario.

@gcunit Yeah, over saturation of Nintendo IP would definitely be a concern if they were to make a Nintendo Kart. I think the pros might outweigh the cons though. It's something that could easily be further expanded upon with future installments and could draw in even more people that are fans of other Nintendo IPs.

Maybe I'm not thinking creatively enough, but I'm having a hard time imagining where the Mario Kart series can go from here for the next installment. I don't think the series is going to change much visually or mechanically at this point so I feel like there needs to be a big change that gets people excited. Maybe they could keep adding in new gimmicks with each installment and people would still remain interested, but eventually the series is going to need to be revamped at some point to keep it running strong. I think this may be the perfect time to do it since there's most likely going to be two Mario Kart games on the Switch. It would be a great way to have them stand apart from each other.

Cynas

gcunit

@Cynas I think there's scope for a few changes that would keep people interested.

Eg.

• Giving each character a unique item or melee attack/ability.
  • A return of Double Dash like mechanics as optional modes.
  • Increasing the maximum field size to 18/20/24 competitors for greater chaos.
  • A 'World Tour' theme whereby the traditional courses are dispensed with, making way for tracks set around real world locations.
  • More dynamic (eg. destructible, evolving) environments.
  • A 'Rocket League' mode.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

FaeKnight

I've got to say, I do kind of prefer using BoTW Link and the Master Cycle Zero kit in races.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic