Forums

Topic: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Posts 421 to 440 of 2,142

JaxonH

@Pigeon
Ya. we'd love to have a few new members (people left over the years and the chat got a little smaller). And you play games on other consoles as many of our members do, so it makes for interesting discussion (even tho we still talk Nintendo most the time lol). But ya, we've got one big PC gamer, one huge Xbox fan, 3 Vita owners (myself included) but all of us own a Switch and 3DS and Wii U. Actually pitched in and bought one of our members a Wii U a few years ago. He was always broke and couldn't afford one, and 10 of us all pitched in what we could, he was so happy people he'd never even met in real life bought him a shiny new console.

That's why I love the group. Good people. I'll send an invite link in a separate msg

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

skywake

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@JaxonH Powerline adapters, what do they do?

As others have said it's a way to run a network connection through your powerpoints. But there is a misconception among some that it's "as good as wired". It isn't. It's effectively a different way to do something similar to what WiFi does but with its own set of strengths and weaknesses.

In general the range is better than WiFi, the pings are more consistent and you don't have to worry about radio interference. However you will generally get lower maximum speeds, higher average pings and are now susceptible to electrical interference. It's a good technology to use when you have crappy WiFi but it's usually not better than WiFi if you have decent WiFi.

The only time I think they're worth it is if you have an area that has very poor WiFi reception and running an Ethernet cable is impractical for whatever reason. For example where my PC and TV live I have Ethernet. In the backyard I have decent WiFi coverage. But the back shed is external to the house so an Ethernet run would be tricky and it's metal so the walls block WiFi. If I wanted internets in there I'd use a powerline adapter.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Haru17

I-U wrote:

The game should not be stepping in like that to balance out the match. Losing half or more of my points has cost me victories on a few occasions.

I think Mario Kart might not be for you. The blue shell is nothing if not the most notorious rubber banding mechanic of all time.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Sisilly_G

@catty : You can set up up to eight profiles on a single Switch console, and you can link an NNID to each one. Unlike the Wii U, there are no separate customisable menus for each user, however, you will be prompted to select which user is playing prior to booting most games (including Mario Kart 8 Deluxe).

Some demos and games such as 1-2-Switch, that do not store unique save data for each user, will not prompt you to select a user prior to booting the software. Let me know how things work out for you.

Edited on by Sisilly_G

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

Sisilly_G

I noticed that almost immediately. My Mii has a rather unenthused/vacant expression, so my Mii's lack of enthusiasm is even more apparent in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. I hope that this can be fixed. I love Miis (the game even prompts you to select one upon booting up the game for the first time), and I would hate to see them go the way of Pokémon Z.

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

Pigeon

JaxonH wrote:

@Pigeon
Ya. we'd love to have a few new members (people left over the years and the chat got a little smaller). And you play games on other consoles as many of our members do, so it makes for interesting discussion (even tho we still talk Nintendo most the time lol). But ya, we've got one big PC gamer, one huge Xbox fan, 3 Vita owners (myself included) but all of us own a Switch and 3DS and Wii U. Actually pitched in and bought one of our members a Wii U a few years ago. He was always broke and couldn't afford one, and 10 of us all pitched in what we could, he was so happy people he'd never even met in real life bought him a shiny new console.

That's why I love the group. Good people. I'll send an invite link in a separate msg

Cheers. I look forward to the message.

I've had all kinds of consoles, but my mains nowadays are the Vita (though will slowly retire due to the Switch), PC, PS2 and 360. I'm something of a retro gamer for the most part, but like to have that one current gen console (usually a handheld these day) to obsess over, it obviously being the Switch right now.

Surprised to hear you using LINE. I was under the impression S.Korea and Japan are the only 2 countries where it really took off (though I'm glad it did as it's more user friendly than Skype IMO).

But I digress. This being about MK; a little disappointed there's no way to play 200cc via online. That'd be killer. Understandable why not, as it's darn hard to control for all but the most skilled players, but switching from 200cc offline to, what is it, 100cc or 150cc online is a bit of a shock. I end up taking certain corners too quickly when online due to the adjusted speed.

Pigeon

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Pigeon wrote:

JaxonH wrote:

@Pigeon

Cheers. I look forward to the message.

I've had all kinds of consoles, but my mains nowadays are the Vita (though will slowly retire due to the Switch), PC, PS2 and 360. I'm something of a retro gamer for the most part, but like to have that one current gen console (usually a handheld these day) to obsess over, it obviously being the Switch right now.

Surprised to hear you using LINE. I was under the impression S.Korea and Japan are the only 2 countries where it really took off (though I'm glad it did as it's more user friendly than Skype IMO).

But I digress. This being about MK; a little disappointed there's no way to play 200cc via online. That'd be killer. Understandable why not, as it's darn hard to control for all but the most skilled players, but switching from 200cc offline to, what is it, 100cc or 150cc online is a bit of a shock. I end up taking certain corners too quickly when online due to the adjusted speed.

You can play 200cc in tournaments and private races.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

JoyBoy

So now when I play with a separate joycon I use the "auto accelerate". It puts less stress on your hands when in longer play sessions.
But it did make me wonder. Do we really need to manually hold the A button all the time? It doesn't really feel more engaging, since you never let it go. So why not auto accelerate all the time?

How do you feel about this?

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Haru17

@Spanjard I feel that too. Holding one button down the entire time you're playing a game just to lend credence to the starting boost mini game seems excessive. There is already a brake button, so that should just act as the inverse to modulate speed. Or acceleration should be a toggle.

Anything would be better as long as Mario Kart doesn't have any incentive to let up on the gas.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

JoyBoy

@Haru17 The best part is you can still press A with the starting boost mini game. Just like you can still use the L stick when you're using motion controls. It weird but it's true. You can also still brake if you want to. The only thing you can't do is "let go" of the gas. Which nobody does anyway?

The purists are going to kill me.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

I-U

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@I-U They didn't nerf it, they just made a variety of throw distances rather than 1 fixed distance. The longer you hold the use item button the longer the bob-omb travels when you release it.

Thank you for providing this tip. When I went back to the mode, Bob-omb Blast felt like the one I remember playing a lot of in Double Dash. I like that they included varying distances now that I've put more time into the mode with my siblings.

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

JaxonH

@FGPackers
You gotta click those links I sent you. Check your email. I deleted the posts so it wouldn't stay public

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

ProjectX1991

Is the purple flame when you drift new from MK8D?

ProjectX1991

rallydefault

Spanjard wrote:

So now when I play with a separate joycon I use the "auto accelerate". It puts less stress on your hands when in longer play sessions.
But it did make me wonder. Do we really need to manually hold the A button all the time? It doesn't really feel more engaging, since you never let it go. So why not auto accelerate all the time?

How do you feel about this?

I wouldn't like that: my reason being because of the base level of "skill" it takes to do a few things at once (if you're playing the game at a slightly higher level.)

-You have to be holding the A button down to accelerate
-You have to be jumping/drifting/speeding up item selection with the right trigger
-You have to be holding down the left trigger to keep an item behind you

So, in my experience, for most races I am holding two buttons nearly constantly and one other button is getting lots of frequent taps. I just feel that if you eliminate a button from that, you're minimizing the "attention" it takes to play the game. Kind of "babying" it down. And really, you are, because you're just simplifying things.

And yes, I know this is MK and not Dota lol I just think it's fun to have a few buttons that need to be "managed," and even after hundreds of hours sometimes I slip up, which is ok, because if I didn't, it would be kinda boring.

rallydefault

Captain_Toad

@ProjectX1991 Yes. A harder to get but much more satisfying boost is added to the deluxe version.

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack...it's important.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1530-1570-5053 | 3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic