Forums

Topic: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Posts 221 to 240 of 2,142

JaxonH

@gcunit
Idk if they will, but hey should.

If specific versions of games can be praised or penalized based on performance or features, then that means the experience offered through that particular version is weighted in the decision. And the lesser graphics will surely be counted against them, but there's a payoff for that paid price... the handheld playability. If the price paid is held against it, the benefits gained should be counted for it.

Just my opinion on the matter

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

_Octoling_

I'm looking forwards to picking this up when I'm done with Zelda. It will be good to hold me over until Mario Kart 9 comes (probably 2019 or 2020).

Majora's Mask = Best Game Of All Time
3DS FC- 2380-2910-9753

NaviAndMii

Really excited for this game! It'll be my first Mario Kart since MK:Wii - can't wait to hit the track again!

Anyone know how online multiplayer will work? ..do you get an online ranking/score? ..can a local 'Player 2' also get an online ranking? ..or is P2 just an unranked 'Guest' like on the Wii version?

I always liked the dynamic online ranking system on Mario Kart Wii: starting with a rating of 5000, your score would go up or down (between 1 and 9999) depending on how you placed and/or who you managed to beat - it always gave you a solid target at the start of the race - if you were rated 6000, but 5 players were all rated 6001 or above, you knew that you should aim to finish 6th or better...there was a beautiful simplicity to it that kept me hooked for years!

I just always wished that Player 2 could have also had a ranking, rather than just being labelled as a 'Guest' - it felt like they we're missing out on a layer of the online experience...

...hoping that 2 accounts can be logged in simultaneously this time around so we can both enjoy the full online game together!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

rallydefault

@NaviAndMii
Yep, you start with a base score (I forget - maybe like 1000) and it goes up or down depending on how you place in each race. I never played the "battle mode" (pah) on the Wii U version, though, but I assume the points operate in the same way for that mode. With an ACTUAL battle mode in Deluxe, though, I'll figure it out pretty quickly!

As far as I could tell (and my wife did play online with me a few times), as long as your guest was signed in with their own Mii or whatever, they too gained or lost points. If they were just signed in as a generic guest, though, I don't think it fluctuated, or at least it didn't save beyond that play session.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Honelith

I never got MK8 for my Wii U, so I know I'm in for a treat, all those MK8 Deluxe extras look great, cannot wait!

Honelith

Switch Friend Code: SW-0658-7331-4900

NaviAndMii

@rallydefault Oh nice! Thanks for the info! ..I've heard about the Wii U versions so called 'battle mode' Almost seems like it was added as an afterthought..? Very odd.. Luckily, you can usually live without a fully fleshed out battle mode in a Mario Kart game - although, I must say that it looks like they may have nailed it on the new Switch version! There looks to be a good number of interesting and varied modes to choose from - a battle for every occasion!

FGPackers

@NaviAndMii I can confirm what @rallydefault said on your questions: you start with 1000 and you get or lose points based on other scores and finish place. For "player 2" if he/she is registered then the other player has the same opportunity to get/lose points. If not, and is a normal "guest", the game data will not be saved

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH Well the things that make it more than just a basic port are:

• 6 extra characters (Inkling Boy, Inkling Girl, Bowser Jr., Boo, Dry Bones, Gold Mario)
  • Some extra vehicle parts (e.g. Bowser Jr.'s Clown Car)
  • Some extra Mii Racing Suits (e.g. Inkling Girl)
  • 2 returning items not in the Wii U version (Boo, Feather)
  • 2 items slots instead of 1
  • The entirety of battle mode

Everything else is what you'd expect from a basic MK8 port (the base content + latest update + all DLC).

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

OorWullie

@NaviAndMii I'm with you,i thought MK Wii's ranking system was brilliant and the reward/punishment for finishing places was what kept me hooked.Unfortunately MK8 doesn't really punish you at all.You barely lose any points,even for finishing last.Your ranking only really reflects how much you play the game because unless you finish in the last 2 or 3 places every single race,you score is always increasing.

I mentioned that on here before about preferring MK Wii's ranking system and I don't think anyone agreed with me haha.So it seems we are in the minority.Don't let that put you off though,the game is incredible.

Another thing I dislike about MK8 is the overly simple time trial mode,especially when compared to MK Wii'sThe set up for downloading ghosts and how much it limits who you can challenge makes it rather worth less.MK Wii had the perfect set up for encouraging you to keep improving.I can't understand why 8's needed to be so stripped back.

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

NaviAndMii

@FGPackers Oh that's great, thanks! ..exactly what I was hoping for!

@OorWullie Haha! Ah well, it still sounds decent enough I was meaning to ask about the Time Trials - it's a shame they changed the formula...there still sounds like there'll be plenty to keep me hooked for years to come though - can't wait!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

24kevin

This really begs the question, should this game have DLC?
I mean, it's including all DLC from the original and a whole bunch of new features as stated above, but would you be pissed if Nintendo released more DLC for a deluxe edition of the game. More importantly, will you receive a discount if you already have MK 8 for the wii U? I personally love Mario Kart enough that I would probably wind up paying for it, I'm always happy to have more content just don't like paying more for what should be a complete version of the game

24kevin

FGPackers

@24kevin I don't think MK8 owners will have any kind of price advantage, or any advantage at all. And no, i don't think there will ever be some kind of DLC. I think that this will be the MK of this console and that Nintendo will focus more on other games since they can have a finished product in their hands already, and they have it. I'm also noticing that their starting to release online multiplayer games at the starting lifespan of the system (MK8D, Arms, Splatoon 2) so that players can enjoy them over it. Think about Splatoon on Wii U. It went for, what, 1 year and a half? 2 years at best? And i mean before all Switch and Splatoon 2 buzz started. Same kind of topic can be done with Super Mario Maker unfortunately. So, i think that we will get most of online multiplayer games in first two years at max and single player games will keep up with the system life, thanks also to the release of the app and all of online services this summer/autumn with Splatoon 2!

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

CheapCheepBeach

@Grumblevolcano But I at least expected some new Mario series amiibo suit, and not just one Inkling amiibo suit. I mean, why did they prioritise the outside franchises so much anyways? It's like giving special funcitons to the Super Mario amiibo but not Smash Sheik or Ganondorf in Breath of the Wild...just awful, anti-consumer and a slap in the face to fans.

Edited on by CheapCheepBeach

CheapCheepBeach

Nintendo Network ID: memoryman3 | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

@memoryman3 Well there's likely more Mii racing suits than what's announced. Don't forget that the main Wii U updates added large bunches (November 2014 added 10 and April 2015 added 9) so I'd imagine around 8 new ones will be added to MK8 Deluxe if not more.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@memoryman3
Everything's a slap in the face to fans nowadays. No middle ground. Anything people even remotely don't like or agree with is a bitter insult, slap and spit in the face

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

DoubleKeyLocks

I am still not over Mario Kart for WiiU, so I gonna wait a long time till I get the new mario kart for switch.

DoubleKeyLocks

NaviAndMii

At least Nintendo aren't charging top dollar for the Deluxe edition of MK8 - here in the UK it'll be £10 cheaper than a top-level game like Zelda...

Just to put that in to some kind of context, the enhanced port of GTAV on PS4 was full price - it featured a graphical overhaul and a new first-person mode, roughly equivalent to the improvements made from the WiiU edition of Mario Kart 8 - but if you wanted the upgrade, Rockstar were expecting you to pay full retail price again (although there were a few exclusive items bundled in with that for returning players to sweeten the deal) ..when Skyrim was ported over to PS4, it came with a lower overall price point, but no exclusive content/special deal for returning players.

It's always going to be a difficult balancing act - it'd be nice if, for example, any returning MK8 players could get a special WiiU racing suit or something similar as a kind of 'loyalty bonus' - but at least the price kinda reflects that it's an 'enhanced port'...

Edited on by NaviAndMii

MrHero

@NaviAndMii It is the full $59.99 in the US... Maybe they will lower the price? I am seeing £42 on Amazon UK, what is the normal full price for a new title in the UK?

MrHero

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic