Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

Posts 641 to 660 of 726

Scollurio

@StableInvadeel I really like it, but I'm no big collector. Tough choice. Could still get around 40 seashells for it.

#supportindies
Top 5 Indies I'd recommend you try: #1 Lovecraft's Untold Stories, #2 Moonlighter, #3 Hotline Miami, #4 Inside, #5 Into the Breach.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5821-0423-7909 | My Nintendo: Scollurio | Nintendo Network ID: Scollurio | Twitter:

LzWinky

link3710 wrote:

So playing through this game, and gotta say, the first three dungeons are awful. Among the worst in the series. I literally couldn't remember anything from them. But then we hit dungeon 4 and it improves significantly, even if 4 isn't amazing, being far more open. The color dungeon... Pretty pathetic honestly for the sole new dungeon in DX, but at least it doesn't punish colorblind people now. And now I'm on 5, and I remember why it's such a great dungeon.

Like it's annoying as heck, but it's trying to be. It's a whole dungeon that flaunts your inability to continue too far in any one direction due to the stolen hookshot. It constantly feels like you're fighting your way through a dungeon you should be now equipped for if the (first) miniboss wasn't such a jerk. The whole things set up so you're constantly exploring and hitting dead ends, trying to struggle your way to even a single key. It's definitely one of the highlights of this game.

Tldr; Having a core idea of what you want the player to experience is what makes a good dungeon, something LA struggled with.

Level 5 - 8 are great

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

rallydefault

@Zeldafan79
That's true only for some of the dungeons, if I recall. I think they mark the pendants, but do they also mark the dark world dungeons? I forget.

Even then, do they mark every step of the way, as well? I think people are really stretching if you're trying to say LA and/or Link to the Past guide the player to the level modern games do.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Zeldafan79

Yeah it did. Each dark world dungeon was numbered. Also there's the guy in kakariko village who marks the location of sahasrahla on your map. Even the master sword location is shown. I actually couldn't get into zelda until Link to the past came along because in the first two games there was literally no direction. I had no clue where to go or where dungeons even were. It was all really vague. I just found them confusing and frustrating. The constant deaths didn't help either.

Link to the past was alot more forgiving and it was the beginning of making the series easier and getting more gamers to try it out no doubt. It worked on me. Made me a fan!

try doing a no death playthrough of the Nes Zelda's. Unless you got god like skills i don't see how it's possible. Especially in the later dungeons when all hell breaks loose! I've never pulled it off without an emulator or game genie. Every game since i never died once. Well until breath of the wild that is.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

link3710

@LzWinky Yeah, I'm finding that out. 5 is most memorable, and 7 is best designed, but 6 and 8 are no slouches either. It's too bad the first half of the game had such a poor showing comparatively.

@Zeldafan79 Never died once? Seriously? I've got 3 deaths on my LA playthrough, and this was one of the more laughably easy entries. Especially with deathtraps like attacking cuckoos if you didn't know any better, or trying to figure out certain bosses... I don't think I've ever beaten a Zelda game without dying on my first playthrough. Maybe Phantom Hourglass?

link3710

rallydefault

Gotcha. I think I can remember those numbers on the map, now. That was decades ago for me lol

I don't know. The hand-holding definitely started after the first two games, but I still think there's a gap (more like a gulf) between marking dungeon locations on your map and (in some modern games) literally providing a glowing arrow/trail that leads you through every part of getting somewhere. Like, sure, the owl will tell you to get the Tail key from the forest, but he doesn't lead you to the mushroom, then to the witch's shop, then to the racoon, and so forth. Now, the map in LA is so small that anyone willing to put in more than a minute will most likely find the necessary steps simply by blundering around, but yea... I don't know.

Game's good, I'll just stop there haha

I'm on dungeon 6 in my second playthrough, Hero Mode, no deaths. Just a spectacular game. I love the little additions they made. And if anyone hasn't really given the dungeon creator a chance, it's not too bad. I even scanned some old amiibo and got some cool chambers/effects.

rallydefault

NotTelevision

@Zeldafan79 The big issue with the later dungeons in the first Zelda are the rooms with the juggernauts and wizzrobes. The movement is so stiff in the game and those juggernauts have a pretty unpredictable walking pattern.

NotTelevision

NotTelevision

@rallydefault The last 4 dungeons in LA are just fantastic. Eagle Tower in particular is a fantastic example of how to make the entire dungeon itself a mechanical entity. Obviously they pushed this idea further in later games like Ocarina of Time, but it is beautifully done here.

NotTelevision

Zeldafan79

@ NotTelevision

Exactly! The very reason i never enjoyed the 2nd quest. It's even worse there.

Was anybody else a little dissapointed the new rendition of ballad of the windfish complete with lyrics wasn't included somewhere in the game? If that had played during the credits it would have been perfect!
I hope a soundtrack to the game is released at some point! With some tracks however i still prefer the original gameboy version. Like the final boss theme. It's got more punch if you get my meaning. Sounds more sinister and dangerous. One of my favorite final boss themes in gaming!

I'll just leave this here.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

Zuljaras

I played a little of the game and it is truly a nice experience.

I am not keen on cute games but they really done a great job on this one. After I finish it I might power the GBA and play the original as well since I have it but never played it past the first 20 minutes.

Henmii

@GuitarPlayerBP,

Yeah, those where the warping creatures that I meant. They look a bit like birds.

Henmii

DenDen

@Zuljaras
The gb one stays my favorite but thats probaly yust memories hahaha.
In so found of the soundtrack on the gb

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

Buizel

Finished the Face Shrine last night.

Anyone else absolutely love the music to this dungeon? It's so haunting. And has been running through my head all day.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

NintendoByNature

@Buizel I can't recall the face shrine music, but the color dungeon music is awesome.

NintendoByNature

Cotillion

@NintendoByNature The colour dungeon music is awesome because it's a remix of the dungeon music from the first Zelda

Cotillion

NintendoByNature

@Cotillion I know! That's what I love about it. There's nothing more eerie than zelda 1s dungeon music

NintendoByNature

jsubbuteo

Just finished the game. Please Nintendo remake A Link To The Past in this style.

jsubbuteo

C-Chakra

Gonna pick this up today as a reward for getting through my exams. One question though, how long will this game last me if I never played the original? Is the length comparible to the initial playthrough of A Link to the Past?

Switch Friend Code: SW-8045-4533-8325

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic