Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

Posts 401 to 420 of 726

Dezzy

Especially with these 2D-styled games, I don't think most people absolutely need a new art style every game.
They could literally reuse the same engine and art assets and I'm pretty sure most people would be fine with it. Especially if they did Seasons and Ages together as a single product.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

ralphdibny

Nintendo UK store pre orders are finally live!! I saw them updating it with more stuff (rupee lights) and kept refreshing the page so I could beat those scalpers to it!!!!!!!

See ya!

SepticLemon

Nice! I noticed that on the store too!

I even picked up the Red Rupee Lamp edition too!

Untitled

SepticLemon

Twitter:

Dezzy

I still want to see more stuff added for this to be worth a full price purchase tbh.
I'm stingey!
At least give us a new dungeon or something.

Eel

It's funny how I thought the bomb arrows were something new to this version, but you could absolutely do that in the original.

I just... Never found out.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Dezzy

I don't remember using bomb arrows at all. Was there any benefit to doing that? Why would they make something that cool superfluous?

I hope the next BotW allows some kind of bomb/arrow combination. I know they already have explosive arrows, but they could make it more advanced. Like an arrow shoots a bomb, which then turns into a regular bomb that you can explode manually. So you can shoot it into a particular place, then it rolls away or stays depending on its shape.

Edited on by Dezzy

Dezzy

@DarthNocturnal

Right, yeah. You can shoot something a maximum distance of 10 meters. Lol

Tyranexx

The day that I started using bomb arrows in Twilight Princess was indeed a joyous one. I also knew that they could be used in Link's Awakening, but I admittedly didn't find that out until I did a replay on the 3DS.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Eel

I guess if they explode on impact, they could be a faster way to break weak walls.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Luna_110

I had no idea there were bomb arrows in Link’s Awakening... kid me missed them, it seems.
Hope they put a note or something this time hinting about them!

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

DenDen

Luna_110 wrote:

I had no idea there were bomb arrows in Link’s Awakening... kid me missed them, it seems.
Hope they put a note or something this time hinting about them!

I think many people missed this., didnt know it as wel found it out in a yt video

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

NintendoByNature

I've played thru LA 3 times at least and I never knew

NintendoByNature

Dezzy

Lol many people have complained that this doesn't feel like it justifies a full-price release.
Yet I can't even find a preorder anywhere at the regular price of £40 UK. They're all higher than that.
Not that I'd preorder anyway, but it's interesting to note.

iKhan

I'm usually in the "2D games shouldn't be full price" camp, but in this case, it looks like a lot of love went into this product, and it really does look like a full priced recreation of Link's Awakening

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Dezzy

@iKhan

It's not really whether it's 2D or not. It's mostly just about the budget that went into something.

This won't have cost them that much to make in comparison to something like Breath of the Wild (or Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, Splatoon 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses, etc etc). Whilst it's very attractive, it's fairly simple graphically and mechanically. It's a direct copy of a pre-existing game, meaning no new game design was needed, and it's one of the shortest Zelda games, set in one of the smallest worlds.

It makes no sense that it should be the same price as those others I listed. But Nintendo are obviously going for the kind of symbollic "everything we produce is of equally high value" thing, rather than the more blunt economics approach.

iKhan

Dezzy wrote:

It's not really whether it's 2D or not. It's mostly just about the budget that went into something.

This won't have cost them that much to make in comparison to something like Breath of the Wild (or Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, Splatoon 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses, etc etc). Whilst it's very attractive, it's fairly simple graphically and mechanically. It's a direct copy of a pre-existing game, meaning no new game design was needed, and it's one of the shortest Zelda games, set in one of the smallest worlds.

It makes no sense that it should be the same price as those others I listed. But Nintendo are obviously going for the kind of symbollic "everything we produce is of equally high value" thing, rather than the more blunt economics approach.

I don't really care about the budget as much as I care about the value. An example of a game I would never pay full price for is an NSMB game. They look cheap and soulless, and frankly not all that inventive or interesting. Link's Awakening really looks like something I want to experience.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

CanisWolfred

iKhan wrote:

Dezzy wrote:

I don't really care about the budget as much as I care about the value. An example of a game I would never pay full price for is an NSMB game. They look cheap and soulless, and frankly not all that inventive or interesting. Link's Awakening really looks like something I want to experience.

I mean, I guess that's easy to say if you have absolutely no idea how 2D action games are made, the various pitfalls, iterations, and limitations they can have...really, just don't have any clue whatsoever what you're talking about.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

iKhan

@CanisWolfred It's simple, what value is the game providing me, and to what degree? Is there a deep level of immersion I'm paying for, an emotional attachment, an challenging but rewarding feeling of combat?

One of my biggest issue with the NSMB games is that they rely entirely on their action mechanics to carry the entire game, and even then the level design isn't revolutionary or anything. There is absolutely no sense of environment, and the music is repetitive. It doesn't feel like a complete experience, just a gauntlet of obstacle courses.

This remake takes me to a different state of mind even watching the footage. Everything is so charming and the music is beautiful. I'm not crazy about 2D Zelda combat, but it also looks like they've added a bit of depth to that as well. It really looks like a complete experience I want to engage in.

And this isn't just a difference between platformers and adventure games. Super Mario World absolutely feels like a complete experience. I haven't played any of the Ori games, but they look really amazing for their atmosphere. A big part of the appeal of Cuphead (though it's not a platformer really) is the overall style.

CanisWolfred

@iKhan Okay, so you're just saying that you look for specific things when it comes to your games. I honestly thought you were saying that 2D games were inherently cheaper to make and have less to offer in terms of gameplay complexity, depth, and longevity, while 3D games were superior on all fronts. I can handle differences in preferences, at least.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Dezzy

iKhan wrote:

I'm skeptical that budget and value can be separated. Those 2 things correlate quite highly.

If Link's Awakening was only 5 hours long, rather than 15 hours long, surely you'd agree that it had lost some value, and should probably cost less?

The reason you wouldn't pay full price for NSMB is also budget related. They's used a simplistic art style because it's expensive to invent something new. Their gameplay has been fairly formulaic because it costs money to invent and implement new ideas. They've reused the same music repeatedly for the same reason.

Edited on by Dezzy

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic