Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

Posts 261 to 280 of 726

Monkeido

I definitely would've preferred if they had used graphics along the line of the anime-style opening, but I'm sure it will grow on me and I already know I'll enjoy playing through this gem again on the Switch.

Like others, I'm also hoping that this will open the way for more 2D Zelda remakes/remasters, even though I think, for example, the Minish Cap looks better than this (but that's just how I see it). ^^'

And seeing as this was apparently a point of discussion, I'd love to see the Oracles games remade, especially bundled together.

EDIT: I also just have to say that I love how Nintendo chose to remake this game, since afaik it's definitely not one of the most well known Zelda games, but I do know it's one of my favourites.

Edited on by Monkeido

Monkeido

PCkid

I'm one of the few who think that the art direction of the remake is atrocious.
I'd love something more inspired, more genuine but not that kind of "low budget indies touch".
I feel almost sad to see what treatment Nintendo reserved to Link's awakening.
A fantastic game like this one deserve a much more inspired remake than that kind of plastic/basic textures visual.
And that toyish flute they used for the theme, what a pain...

Edited on by PCkid

PCkid

jump

Monkeido wrote:

EDIT: I also just have to say that I love how Nintendo chose to remake this game, since afaik it's definitely not one of the most well known Zelda games, but I do know it's one of my favourites.

I think you might be underestimating Awakening's popularity, whilst not the biggest in the Zelda series it did fly the flag for the GB and GBC selling over 6M copies between the two versions. For context that's more than Wind Waker or A Link To The Past.

PCkid wrote:

I'm one of the few who think that the art direction of the remake is atrocious.
I'd love something more inspired, more genuine but not that kind of "low budget indies touch".
I feel almost sad to see what treatment Nintendo reserved to Link's awakening.
A fantastic game like this one deserve a much more inspired remake than that kind of plastic/basic textures visual.
And that toyish flute they use for the theme, what a pain...

Of course you're welcome to your opinion but you can't really call it low budget indie looking.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Anti-Matter

@PCkid
But it looked so CUTE.
Think about younger players who never knew Zelda games.
That Toy looking Link looked so interesting to play.

Anti-Matter

PCkid

@jump : "Of course you're welcome to your opinion but you can't really call it low budget indie looking."

Really ?

PCkid

Monkeido

jump wrote:

I think you might be underestimating Awakening's popularity, whilst not the biggest in the Zelda series it did fly the flag for the GB and GBC selling over 6M copies between the two versions. For context that's more than Wind Waker or A Link To The Past.

I definitely didn't expect that! Kudos to Link's Awakening. ^^

Monkeido

NintendoByNature

Ive said it before but I don't mind the art style. Seeing an anime style like in the opening scene wouldve been cool but hey, this new style is growing on me. I think Nintendo knows it can take risks with the LoZ series since there's casual zelda fans and die hard zelda fans that'll no doubt purchase it ( not all, but alot of people will buy this). If they wouldve come out with a new IP in the same art style, it would be a real risk for them that people may not bite on. But like i said, it's zelda and zelda sells well. In all honesty a lot of people buy zelda for the gameplay or story. Not so much the art style but i could be entirely wrong. The only two zelda games that blew me away graphically were ocarina of time( because of how ground breaking it looked for the time) and breath of the wild. So either way I'll be picking this up even with me not being absolutely in love with the art style. All because I love zelda games and how they play.

NintendoByNature

toiletduck

@PCkid How's the video you've shown in your eyes so similar to that in this remake? I really don't see it. I agree with you that Oceanhorn looks cheap and plastic though. Not that it bothers me, looks like fun.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

SKTTR

@PCkid @toiletduck Oceanhorn looks pretty neat for an indie game. They have good 3D artists. I have only played the demo on Switch, but if one thing stood out it was the nice graphics. You people have either never played a cheap looking indie game it seems or you're throwing the wrong descriptions around.

I can see how the new Link's Awakening is similar-looking to Oceanhorn, but the trailer alone shows much better graphic design, animations, and special effects.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

LadyCharlie

question:
how much content/what kind of content could Nintendo add, without breaking the spirit of the original game?

LadyCharlie

Switch Friend Code: SW-1787-3887-5088 | 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6315-2933

SKTTR

@Charlie_Girl

As they showed absolutely nothing new in the trailer (except audiovisual modernization), I guess it can turn out either way, but for the moment we should expect nothing more or less than a 1:1-port.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Grumblevolcano

I think Link's Awakening will be the Switch equivalent of Wind Waker HD. The purpose of the game being to give people a Zelda game while waiting for BotW 2 and the biggest differences that affect gameplay being QoL stuff (in Wind Waker HD this was stuff like the Swift Sail and changes to the Triforce hunt).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Eel

Well, last time they re-released the game for full price, it included a new dungeon that utilized the new features made possible by the jump to better hardware, and gave a bonus item to go along it (the color tunics).

They could totally do that again. Here’s a whole new dimension they can use for puzzles and items. They could even offer a first person point of view.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

NintendoByNature

I still think itll close to a 1 to 1. But having a new take on the color dungeon. The color dungeon of course wouldn't be necessary since it was a big adder for the dx version. This time who knows it could be anything, I said before maybe a special item dungeon that lets you take a special item to the final boss or something along those lines. Im excited to see what they add. But I really dont think you need any quality of life improvements like you did on wwhd or twilight princess hd. I don't recall anything being overly tedious in the game that was frustrating to accomplish ( tears of light and triforce charts/ shards).

NintendoByNature

Dezzy

Charlie_Girl wrote:

question:
how much content/what kind of content could Nintendo add, without breaking the spirit of the original game?

They could easily squeeze an extra dungeon into the main storyline.

They could add a multiplayer type mode, like they had in ALBW.

They could very easily add several new mini-games. Once again, ALBW did a great job of this. There were like 10 different mini-games you could do.

Grumblevolcano wrote:

I think Link's Awakening will be the Switch equivalent of Wind Waker HD. The purpose of the game being to give people a Zelda game while waiting for BotW 2 and the biggest differences that affect gameplay being QoL stuff (in Wind Waker HD this was stuff like the Swift Sail and changes to the Triforce hunt).

Yep I think that's definitely it's main purpose. I think we'll probably see a Skyward Sword remaster in 2020 for the same purpose too. Then maybe BotW 2 in 2021.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

jump

I reckon this is more down to them not knowing what to do with 2D Zeldas anymore than it is to do with keep Zelda games coming out.

A lot of people who played BOTW aren't going to jump onto this simply because it's a Zelda game as it's a vastly different experience. Also if the goal is to fill the void whilst making a new Zelda they probably would of outsourced the work like they did with Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask or used a easier game to re-release like Wind Waker which took less than 6 months to complete as it frees up people's hands.

There was a story about how Miyamoto wanted a remake of A Link To The Past and Aonuma had to really push him that wasn't the way to go by pitching him ideas and A Link Between Worlds came out of it.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Octane

An extra dungeon similar to the colour dungeon is possible I think. Maybe they'll keep the theme and do a gyro-based dungeon; but I'm certain not everyone will like that

Octane

NintendoByNature

The super mario party dungeon where you can't play in handheld mode for it 😅

NintendoByNature

Eel

The top down format would be the best fit for a dungeon making mode, and this being this game it would make perfect sense in-universe. Just thought I would implant that thought here.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

EvilLucario

@PCkid It's the most appropriate artstyle that harkens back to the original style. I mean, look at the stuff you can get from the Game Boy Camera.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

Also it can serve a narrative purpose because the entire game takes place in a dream.

You don't have to like it but it's certainly the best choice above anything else like lifting from Link Between Worlds/Triforce Heroes.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic