Forums

Topic: Let's address the elephant in the room.

Posts 81 to 90 of 90

NEStalgia

@Beedrill4Smash Oh Capcom deserves the heat. Their problem is they refuse to learn from their own mistakes. Like a dog that bites his tail, and after squealing in pain, turns around and does it again. They almost folded after chasing the "CoD money" in the west and abandoning their actual market back during the early 360 era. They FINALLY stablized, fueled mostly by MH's success on Nintendo. And instead of learning from that, they're doing it again! This time going deep enough int the red to chase the delusion they've resorted to having Sony fund the latest installment of their CORNERSTONE franchise: SF to the point they don't even have an arcade cabinet. What's the point of an SF game if there's not even an arcade cabinet? In the arcades they themselves own and operate! Imagine EA having Microsoft pay for ownership of FIFA '19. It would be unheard of. So, yeah, Capcom really is hopeless. They'll stay afloat mostly due to merchandising. But if they won't learn from their colossal errors, I doubt they'll ever become relevant under current management.

EA has lots of good franchises they pigeon hole. Wing Commander, Command & Conquer, Dungeon Keeper, MDK, Populous, Ultima, The Saboteur, Syndicate, Magic Carpet, Crusader, System Shock. Between the stuff that was theirs and the studios they bought and closed for IP, they have a mountain of unused IP in great series that all goes unused. EA wasn't ALWAYS just FIFA, Battlefront, FIFA, Battlefield, more Battlefront, some more FIFA, Madden, more Battlefield, Even more FIFA.

NEStalgia

Bass_X0

Well, Jim Sterling hasn't been attacking Capcom at all, but he regularly lays into Konami and UbiSoft pretty hard. If Capcom did deserve it, Jim Sterling would be dishing it out.

Edgey, Gumshoe, Godot, Sissel, Larry, then Mia, Franziska, Maggie, Kay and Lynne.

I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing happens!

NEStalgia

@Snaplocket It's a hard call between those two. Konami is surely the more evil one given their Stasi-esque employment practices rivaled only by EA some years back. But in terms of content they had the big hit in MGS5, then went dormant, and now are coming back with smaller games like Bomberman and gauging what franchises they can work on bringing to market in a smaller lower budget way. Even providing free DLC updates to that "overpriced" small game so it wasn't so overpriced anymore. Very unlike the Konami we've known. So they may be rehabilitating, despite being mostly absent entirely right now. Capcom on the other hand isn't quite so evil internally, and has a few more games on the market, but hasn't had any hits, and refuses to consider their full catalogue, and seems to like ripping defeat from the jaws of victory with their own franchise decisions. Konami is at least still a successful gambling machine producer and "not exactly gambling hall" operator, so they have viable other businesses. Capcom on the other hand sells merchandise in exchange for the bitter tears of hope, and operates really awful arcades that focus mostly on grabbers and redemption machines. Castlevania-erotica-pachinko might be a step up. Coin toss?

@Bass_X0 I think Capcom is just so low on the radar of relevance right now, at least outside MH-loving Japan, that they're not going to bring any ratings to his channel Their overpriced port of their 25 year old game for a launch console is outselling their current flagship games in the same genre. Hard to sink much lower than that. And Sterling thrives on creating controversy by insulting things people like. Who's going to be upset if everything he says about Capcom is obvious truth? We could read investor briefings and get the same result.

NEStalgia

Bass_X0

they don't even have an arcade cabinet. What's the point of an SF game if there's not even an arcade cabinet? In the arcades they themselves own and operate!

Arcades just ain't what they used to be. Sure there may still be some arcade games, but they just don't pull in the players like they used to. And that's nothing to do with the quality of their games.

Still, I think Capcom are saving arcade mode in SFV until the game actually gets an arcade release which they'll market as its main appeal - "you want to play an arcade mode, you gotta play an actual arcade machine!"

Edgey, Gumshoe, Godot, Sissel, Larry, then Mia, Franziska, Maggie, Kay and Lynne.

StuTwo

@NEStalgia I think the biggest problem with 'games as a service' is that they require a big investment of time from players over long periods of time. Even people who play abnormal amounts of games (and if you're reading this on a video games fan site that includes you!) can't commit to more than one or two at a time. You're asking a hell of a lot if you want people to immediately invest a lot of money and time into your AAA game as a service.

Plus they have to react and adapt (sometimes even radically) to players. Having a small team and working with simple assets makes that easier. So the big hitters will regularly find themselves outcompeted by much much smaller indie teams in that space.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Bass_X0

@Snaplocket The things Jim Sterling is super negative about are things that are actually super negative. You would know that if you actually watched one of his episodes longer than a few minutes before making an opinion about all of his show.

I don't bother with his review videos though, just the Jimquisition. I can't watch everything ever on Youtube. But they seem okay from what I have watched.

ogo79

oh i thought this thread was about my ex girlfriend
my bad

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

Bass_X0

@ogo79 It was your bad when you first thought "hey, this girl looks attractive".

Octane

@Snaplocket At least he's consistent. I don't agree on AMR2, it was Nintendo's right to shut it down and they should always do that IMO, but at least he's one of the only few people on YouTube to talk about the "AAA culture", from micro-transactions and pre-order bonuses, to broken and unfinished games. I wish more people talked about that, cause it's getting worse with every game.

Octane

ogo79

Bass_X0 wrote:

@ogo79 It was your bad when you first thought "hey, this girl looks attractive".

Untitled

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.