Forums

Topic: L.A. Noire - OT

Posts 361 to 380 of 459

NEStalgia

@JaxonH yeah that last bit of info is something I hadn't heard of until it was pointed out on the other thread about it tanking in europe. The PS4 version actually has LESS on disc, and has the same freaking download! And Switch now has the ability to transfer patches from one system to another locally, while PS4 would make me download to each console. Meaning I retract some of what I said above, 2k deserves no credit, 100% of the blame and absolutely none of this is Nintendo's fault. This is 2K foisting the download model on ALL their customers, not just them "managing Nintendo's unfair pricing as best they can." And Nintendo apparently made them give us something playable on the cart where PS4 doesn't even get that (well I suppose it's possible it does....since PS4 supports that for partial digital download play. )

So at the end of the day I like Nintendo more, like Rockstar/2K a LOT less, and have a general sour feeling about the direction of the industry and my future in gaming as a whole. However I'm also buying the Switch version since it's actually at least partly playable and thus has MORE value than the PS4 version. Can't imagine I'll buy many (or any) Rockstar games after this (on any platform) however. This is one of those rare games with a setting that really appeals to me.

NEStalgia

Hughesy

SKTTR wrote:

So, after some time with the game, there's two issues I have with the controls.

First, the shooting/aiming is weird. It's complicated (or I don't get the hang of it). I just disabled "Auto Aim" to see if the game will now do what I want because maybe it blocked my aiming freedom.

Second, when enabling Motion Controls, why the heck is the camera then gyro controlled as well? They should update and make this a separate option. I wanna keep motion controls for the aiming and stuff, but the camera should not be affected by it.

"Automatic Camera" was irritating as well, but at least you can disable it.

The aiming isn’t a Switch problem, it’s exactly the same on all the other platforms.

@NEStalgia Rockstar didn’t make this game, the studio that did closed down. Pretty much every game Rockstar have made I’ve loved, so unlike you I really hope more of their games come to Switch.

Edited on by Hughesy

Switch friend code: SW-3225-7165-4815

Spoony_Tech

I'm enjoying this game too much. Haven't been able to put it down.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

MERG

@Spoony_Tech How many games are you playing at the moment?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Bow ties are cool - The Doctor

Spoony_Tech

@MERG Um, wouldn't you like to know lol. This, Doom, and EOV. Add Skyrim to that in a couple days. Resident Evil R2 in a couple weeks. I leave my options open, you know play the field lol.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

MERG

@Spoony_Tech Lucky you...I have much more limited time and MUCH more restricted funds. The amount of games I want is huge (much the same as you are playing) but I'm trying very hard to be a responsible adult. Adult-ing is no fun! I am getting XC2 on release day. I will get Doom and Skyrim eventually but I have them both already elsewhere.

Bow ties are cool - The Doctor

NEStalgia

@Hughesy Team Bondi, the developer that closed, isn't the one pushing digital distribution by manipulating retail consumers via withholding data from the box, Rockstar/2K Interactive is the one doing that, not just for this game but all recent games. And apparently they're not just doing it on Switch, but on all platforms. Thus my complaint is about Rockstar/2KI, and isn't about their Switch specific products but about their entire business. Partial games on retail products "download the rest" is not a reason to like Rockstar/2KI, and it's not unfair to call them out on shifty [insert more suitable rhyme here] business practices that mistreat us, the consumer.

When I believed they were exploiting only Switch owners, I hoped they'd get the message if their Switch games failed. But in reality, they're doing it on all platforms, so it's not just Switch. They need to learn via low sales across all platforms. Maybe that's why it's not on Amazon. They want to avoid the 1-star reviews that would show up at the top of Google searches.

NEStalgia

Plaid_unicorn

On team Bondi.

The company no longer exist because their practices amounted to modern day slavery. Once rockstar got a hold of how they treated their workers they cut off all ties and the developer was forced to shut down.

Not sure how Nintendo handles their digital content but I'm still able to download digitally purchased games from close to over 10 years ago on my PlayStation system, even long after they have been removed from the store and all support seized. I understand some of you guys concern but if Nintendo isn't subsidizing the cost for larger carts to devs this will continue. I would much rather the prices stay down and me just downloading the rest than me being forced to pay a premium due to manufacturing cost. You just gotta weigh the pros and cons of the situation until cart prices drop.

Plaid_unicorn

HexagonSun

I just want to add to the positive feedback on LA Noire Switch, and say this game looks and runs great on the switch. I can tell Rockstar really put some effort into this port, and if you're on the fence, don't hesitate to pick it up. Great third party games like this deserve to be supported.

HexagonSun

JaxonH

HexagonSun wrote:

Great third party games like this deserve to be supported.

Preach it.

Nintendo fans should go out and support these great games- games like L.A. Noire, DOOM (granted it's got a small sound bug, but that'll be patched out), Skyrim, Rocket League, etc...

Would also definitely add NBA 2K18 to that list. And based on how good NBA was, WWE 2K18 as well (although it will surely be a mess at launch lol- give it a month and it'll be patched up nice and proper)

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@Ervex_109
I mean, it's no GTA, if that's what you're asking.

But you can explore the open world as much as you want and go wherever you want, ride around wherever you want. There is a story and cases to solve for progression, which I think all games have that linear progression. But there are plenty of side missions and cases to solve. And I believe you can come back to cases later from the menu.

Spoony_Tech

This game is much more my style. I much rather be solving crimes then committing them.

MERG said:

SKTTR

Ervex_109 wrote:

I'd just be curious to know from those who've completed the game or come close as to how difficult this game is to complete and what the curve is for beginners.

L.A. Noire is easy.
I believe everyone can play and beat it.

Action sequences can be turned off completely at any time, but I wouldn't recommend it as it eliminates the chasing/climbing rooftops, fist fighting, shooting, driving, stealth, and other action parts of the game. If you cannot beat a mission because of an action sequence then you can skip it.
When you play it with the touchscreen L.A. Noire astoundingly turns into a point & click adventure. There are frequent checkpoints and autosaves as well.

The interrogation is a bit like the Phoenix Wright games. In L.A. Noire you always have the good cop or bad cop options to react to someone, and an option where you have to show evidence that you found in the investigation parts of the cases. You can earn rank points by chosing the correct option. But it doesn't really matter if you're wrong, because most of the time the story goes on but turns out differently (or you get another chance) and the penalties aren't so bad because all cases can be replayed in a 'case select mode' to make 100% right decisions, get a better rank, or to find missed collectibles.

Ervex_109 wrote:

Also, is the freedom that great in the world outside of mission objectives?
Can you just take detours and do your own thing, talking to NPCs at will, shooting at random targets etc?

You can walk or drive around in the HUGE open world anytime (as long as you don't get yourself involved in something by getting to the next objective) Apart from the 26 main story cases there are 40 side missions, 30 landmarks, 4 types of collectibles (that's 91 items), and 95 different cars (oldtimers) to find and drive.

You cannot take out your fists or gun and wreak havoc on the street. And driving amok destroys your rank and you won't earn intuition points (that are helpful to get rid of wrong choices in interrogations but they're not needed if your own intuition is great) and you won't unlock some new outfits then I believe. Outside of missions you cannot really talk to people, but they will react to looking at them, pushing them, and running over them. Your partner will comment on your misdoings. The victim will scream and run away or ragdolls under your cars wheels. If you kindly stare at them they sometimes spit out a phrase, turn around and walk away. Since you're an officer you can ask every person to leave their car to make it yours. I haven't tried to penetrate the NPC AI more than that. Inside missions however, there are plenty of people to talk to.

From the few videos I've watched online, it seems incredibly linear and contrived an experience, with minimal opportunities for individual expression.

You can unlock and wear different outfits and get your favourite car and climb the ladder at the office and get all the collectibles (like music records), that's the highest of your own personal customization.

You play as the detective Cole Phelps. Like Mario and Link he is a defined character. He's no Skyrim dude. The game's focus is to give players multiple choices to solve - or rather mess up - crime cases within interrogations. It's an intriguing interactive cinematic detective story on an extremely high technical level. Well, they used the amazing GTA engine after all and added the realistic facial animation tech on the characters.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Plaid_unicorn

Anyone else notice the ps4 trophies are in game? They pop up just like a PlayStation trophy would but no way to check the progress. I think switch achievements/trophies might be pretty close to happening.

Plaid_unicorn

SKTTR

Ervex_109 wrote:

So, it poses no challenge to the casual gamer? I'd like to believe it would stretch me a little more than the average shooter. Am I asking a little too much here?

It will get challenging. But as I said, if you don't like the action parts or find them too difficult you don't have to do them. The game has an option to skip/beat them for you. And because of that the game is easy enough to beat for everyone.

(I edited some sections of my comment after you answered on it.)

Plaid_unicorn wrote:

Anyone else notice the ps4 trophies are in game? They pop up just like a PlayStation trophy would but no way to check the progress. I think switch achievements/trophies might be pretty close to happening.

I think it's kinda perfect. They left them in so no-one can say they cut something, but on Switch without an achievement system they do absolutely nothing, which I'm totally fine with.

I'm also totally fine with an update that would allow us to see all our achievements in-game through the pause menu - because even if they do nothing, for some people it would be another incentive to go back to the game and unlock them all.

I'm not into the idea of an overarching achievement system for Switch. Other consoles have shown that this always ends up unbalanced and messy.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Tibob

I'm loving the game so far ! (had never played it before)

Only thing I'm struggling to decide is wether to do it black & white or color. Black & white fits the game better I think but I find it a bit more comfortable to play in color.

Tibob

JaxonH

@Tibob
What's the difference... is the actual game played in black and white or something? Only thing I saw change when I toggled that option was the menu lit up where I could see a guy standing there

Tibob

@JaxonH That's it : the whole game is black and white, except for the clues on the map (that we wouldn't notice otherwise).

I think this mode would have benefited from a "grainier" image, maybe even with cracks to mimick an old film noir reel.

Tibob

Spoony_Tech

I can so see myself playing through the whole game again B&W only. I just turned it on and really like it. Still going color though for the rest of this play through.

MERG said:

Sorry, this topic has been locked.