Forums

Topic: L.A. Noire - OT

Posts 161 to 180 of 459

kobashi100

Spoony_Tech wrote:

@kobashi100 Not including enough memory is Nintendo's fault. Not having the foresight to see this being a problem is Nintendo's fault. They know very well how big third party games are and they had to know there was no way all of these games would fit on the size carts they have or the expense was going to be so big for 3rds to go small and pass on the rest to us. This is the option 3rd parties are left with. Yes they would use a bigger card but even at the biggest I think they would use 16gb, they would still pass on a lot of data to us. I don't see them using a 32 (or 24gb if it's even an option) for a few years till the cost comes down.

Do you really think 64GB onboard storage would really make much of a difference? You can't start saying Nintendo should have included 128GB+ for $300. That's simply not possible.

No yes the cost of production of carts I can see the argument. I have read it costs $20 to produce a 32GB cart for switch. That's expensive and you can see why publishers won't go down that route.

kobashi100

ACK

The flash memory shortage is one of the main supply chain failures holding the Switch production back. More internal storage would mean less Switches on the market, less ability to ramp up production, and likely guaranteed dead on arrival.
They've barely managed to increase production to an acceptable level as is. And that is to say nothing of the consequence on price.

Though, Nintendo is hardly seeing these affects. Their games are unscathed, shipping feature complete, and all selling notably well. They is no way they are questioning their decision or even fathom the perspective that views this as a big fail. They see the opposite, as it was a sound decision... Really not even a decision, rather the only recourse.

ACK

Twitter:

DTMOF84

Spoony_Tech wrote:

@kobashi100 Not including enough memory is Nintendo's fault. Not having the foresight to see this being a problem is Nintendo's fault. They know very well how big third party games are and they had to know there was no way all of these games would fit on the size carts they have or the expense was going to be so big for 3rds to go small and pass on the rest to us. This is the option 3rd parties are left with. Yes they would use a bigger card but even at the biggest I think they would use 16gb, they would still pass on a lot of data to us. I don't see them using a 32 (or 24gb if it's even an option) for a few years till the cost comes down.

It’s not Nintendo’s fault. Even if the Switch had more storage on board there would be a mandatory download. Developers need to make use of the larger carts.

🇺🇸
☕️
🤘🏻

Spoony_Tech

@DTMOF84 It's not that easy. The larger carts will cost them more and in turn will pass that unto us anyways. So instead of this $10 more a game thing they will charge $20-$30 more per game. It will be the N64 all over again for 3rd parties remember that fiasco?!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

kobashi100

DTMOF84 wrote:

Spoony_Tech wrote:

It’s not Nintendo’s fault. Even if the Switch had more storage on board there would be a mandatory download. Developers need to make use of the larger carts.

Not as easy as that though. If costs are $20 for each cart that's a huge cost. It's unfair to ask publishers to just write that off.

Maybe Nintendo to start subsiding or they waive of royalty fees until the cost for production comes down.

ZhugeEX who is an analyst and in the industry claims 32GB carts cost more then $20.

Edited on by kobashi100

kobashi100

Grumblevolcano

@Spoony_Tech Yeah, the N64 era really comes to mind. Nintendo needs to do something because at current 3rd party sales are going to be reduced because of the mandatory microSD card purchase but if 3rd parties do put the whole game on the cart it'll be made much more expensive like with carts back in the N64 era.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

SLIGEACH_EIRE

$20 sounds insane, that can't be right. I remember seeing figures before I think it was maybe that a 16GB cartridge costs $8 more than a disc on a competitive console. If that's true then if you look at how Micro SD card prices go up exponentially as the size goes up, then maybe them costing more than $20 for a 32GB cartridge is correct. I'd love a definitive answer. It's crazy that Nintendo went with this. They can probably absorb the cost but 3rd parties can't and won't. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will surely be on a 32GB cartridge and that's £42 on Amazon. There was a launch game in Japan that was on a 32GB cartridge, Dragon Quest Heroes 1&2. Although I see it's $81 dollars on Amazon. Maybe that was factored in to the cost despite those games being ports.

Edited on by SLIGEACH_EIRE

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

kobashi100

SLIGEACH_EIRE wrote:

$20 sounds insane, that can't be right. I remember seeing figures before I think it was maybe that a 16GB cartridge costs $8 more than a disc on a competitive console. If that's true then if you look at how Micro SD card prices go up exponentially as the size goes up, then maybe them costing more than $20 for a 32GB cartridge is correct. I'd love a definitive answer. It's crazy that Nintendo went with this. They can probably absorb the cost but 3rd parties can't and won't. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will surely be on a 32GB cartridge and that's £42 on Amazon. There was a launch game in Japan that was on a 32GB cartridge, Dragon Quest Heroes 1&2. Although I see it's $81 dollars on Amazon. Maybe that was factored in to the cost despite those games being ports.

That $20+ isn't just for the cartridge. Remember there is general licensing fees and other stuff on top.

Nintendo only specifies a joint price for licensing & card.

Edited on by kobashi100

kobashi100

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano

Way I see it, is if I can buy a super compact, fully rewritable, consumer grade 32gb micro SD for $10 as a single purchase, no way that $10 tax doesn't cover the up-cost of jumping to a much larger sized, read-only 32gb cartridge purchased in bulk by the quarter million. Those carts are likely only a couple bucks each. $1, $2 and $4 for 8, 16 and 32 gigs.

I don't mind paying more. I'll pay more all day long if that's what it takes. Just give me the complete game. They are charging $10 more and I am 100% on board with that. But that $10 dang well better buy me the entire game on the cart. I don't know if they looked at pre-order numbers and saw nobody was going to buy the game and figured screw it, might as well save some cash... or maybe this was planned all along and they just didn't want to let people know until the last minute. Either way, this issue isn't going away any time soon.

I'm just grateful all my Nintendo 1st and 2nd party games, and practically all the middle market games... will be immune to this cancer of Switch retail.

Ultimately though, I am glad the game is coming. It's great to see these games on Switch and I will be purchasing. Both to show my support and because I want these awesome games on my hybrid console. If I have to max out my micro SD with an upgrade to the latest and greatest every few years, so be it. I still think it's worth it to have AAA games in the palm of your hand. And to be honest it is still better than having an all digital game. I mean it's really one and the same (and all digital isn't that bad- A lot of people choose to go all digital now a days), but it does still have the benefit of a box and a cartridge for collectors. Certainly beats getting a digital code in a box, that's for sure. And practically speaking it does save you 15gb over going pure digital.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

OorWullie

My main gripe with Switch storage is why didn't they just go with standard sized SD cards instead of Micro SD? The former are a lot cheaper and have much higher storage. Unless there is a valid reason why not? It not fitting under the stand isn't one

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH Aren't they buying the Switch carts from Nintendo though? This problem is more than likely Nintendo overpricing stuff to maximize profits.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

kobashi100

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@JaxonH Aren't they buying the Switch carts from Nintendo though? This problem is more than likely Nintendo overpricing stuff to maximize profits.

Mmm. Not so sure Nintendo are overpricing stuff.. until we see a breakdown of costs and parts we will never really know.

But yeah 3rd parties are buying from Nintendo and like I said before Nintendo only offer cart & license fees together.

Once publishers go above 8GB carts the costs are more than blu ray & licensing for PS4 and Xbox one.

kobashi100

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano

Not for the medium needed to release games. Nintendo makes money on the licensing fee like every other platform- not the actual storage medium.

But even if they were making a small profit it wouldn't be by that much. Say a $1 8gb cart becomes $1.25 and a $4 32gb cart becomes $5. That's a 25% profit margin across the board, which is plenty in business. They are not going to increase a $4 cart to $20. Their prime objective was to get as much third-party support this generation as possible- they've said as much- and you aren't going to get anyone supporting your system charging $20 per cart. Hell, you'd be hard-pressed to get anyone supporting your system at $5 per cart. Which is why I believe they are actually much less than that. When you're buying such cheap carts that are read-only and buying them by the quarter million or by the million in quantity... it's quite possible the 32 gig carts are sub-$4 each.

edit
@kobashi100

They will definitely be more than PS4/X1, but not so much more than $10 wouldn't cover a full 32gb cart twice over. Which is why any Switch game using a 16gb or 32gb cart should get a pass if they charge more. But the full game needs to be on cart, no exceptions. That $10 tax most certainly covers the added cost, at least twice over.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

kobashi100

JaxonH wrote:

@Grumblevolcano

Not for the medium needed to release games. Nintendo makes money on the licensing fee like every other platform- not the actual storage medium.

But even if they were making a small profit it wouldn't be by that much. Say a $1 8gb cart becomes $1.25 and a $4 32gb cart becomes $5. That's a 25% profit margin across the board, which is plenty in business. They are not going to increase a $4 cart to $20. Their prime objective was to get as much third-party support this generation as possible- they've said as much- and you aren't going to get anyone supporting your system charging $20 per cart. Hell, you'd be hard-pressed to get anyone supporting your system at $5 per cart. Which is why I believe they are actually much less than that. When you're buying such cheap carts that are read-only and buying them by the quarter million or by the million in quantity... it's quite possible the 32 gig carts are sub-$4 each.

edit
@kobashi100

They will definitely be more than PS4/X1, but not so much more than $10 wouldn't cover a full 32gb cart twice over. Which is why any Switch game using a 16gb or 32gb cart should get a pass if they charge more. But the full game needs to be on cart, no exceptions. That $10 tax most certainly covers the added cost, at least twice over.

That's you just speculating. Daniel Ahmed is more in the know so I am gonna believe him personally.

Once you go 32GB I am not so sure $10 is covering it.

BTW I have read other people claiming that 32GB carts are not even available to use right now.

Edited on by kobashi100

kobashi100

Sisilly_G

I'm passing on this due to the mandatory download. I refuse to support any retail game that isn't playable without a download. This is just absolutely ridiculous. It's particularly disheartening that Rockstar have resorted to this too. This is now the second game (after Revelations 2) that I won't be buying for this reason. I just really, really hope that Bethesda doesn't cheap out once Wolfenstein II arrives as I would hate to have to pass on that.

My only hope is that the Australian version may include the full game on cartridge, as the game is being released at full price here, as opposed to a budget price a la the U.S. Considering that the game costs AU$25+ more than the U.S. release, I haven't lost all hope yet (though I'm not particularly optimistic), but I suppose we will see closer to release.

I'm happy to pay full price to have the entire game on cartridge, but the alternative is a pass, even at a discount. Indulging this sort of anti-consumer crap means that matters will only worsen as time goes on.

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

Inertiacreep

@Tibob How is doom pushing the price?? Hello this is a new 2017 game

Inertiacreep

Grandpa_Pixel

@sillygostly At least Revelations allowed you to play one of the games. So at least you get a full gaming experience for one of the titles. Though I do feel they should have split the titles and made them two cartridges worth.

And I hope so too as LA Noire on the Switch would be fantastic. But I can't justify having to download half of it straight off the bat.

Grandpa_Pixel

Tibob

@Inertiacreep
I don't see how being a recent game justifies being more expensive than about every game out there, and I love that people keep whining about every indie that's more than 10$ but can part with 65$ for a AAA.

Tibob

GrailUK

Is it too much to ask for the full game on an appropriately sized card. Come on, someone out there should carry out some investigative journalism. Publishers can make a collectors edition for like 90 quid that has the game and 30 quids worth of absolute nothing. Surely they can make a meaningful version which is pure plug n play. Heck, give it a shiney cover if it helps them sleep at night.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Sorry, this topic has been locked.