Forums

Topic: bloodstained: ritual of the night

Posts 441 to 460 of 593

PCkid

@OmegaDestroyer

You're absolutely right. It's insane how they lied at PAX like that.

PCkid

Zuljaras

@PCkid I have extremely old videos of the game. The current build is better since I re-drew most stuff and added some new features.

I will post some screenshots later in the Art Thread in these forums and I will tag you so you get a notification.

Imgur is not welcomed here so I started using Imgbb. I have to make some screenshots from the latest build with the new art and upload them.

I named the game Castletoria because I am a huge Castlevania fan.

You can google Castletoria and the first thing that will pop-up will be the game.

Zuljaras

Dogtanian

It's a shame if the Switch port is substandard. I much prefer playing on my Switch, but I may have to get this for the PS4 unless they manage to substantially improve the performance over the next few weeks.

Dogtanian

PCkid

@Zuljaras

Ok, I saw some visuals and a short video.
I'm going to wait for the "new screenshots" because I have several things to say.

PCkid

NEStalgia

@PCkid To be fair the original Castlevania monsters were just designed as clones of Universal Studio's content.....In reality the entire Castlevania series was always a cheap copy job without much creativity...

NEStalgia

BruceCM

I'm still not noticing any issues with my Switch version, @NEStalgia ....

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

EvilLucario

@PCkid Bwahahahaha. Looks like you really are talking out of your ass then. Tell me then, if it were just Iga's name that made this game good, then explain why other games like Yooka-Laylee, made by some OG Rare developers, aren't as lauded as it "should". But you don't have a retort for that because in reality, you don't make a good game with just the face(s) of a team. Just ask Yooka-Laylee and Mighty No. 9 and even Shantae Half-Genie Hero to a slight degree.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

NEStalgia

@BruceCM That's good to hear! Though since it sounds like the devs are acknowledging it, there must be something to it. I'm glad to hear they're patching it by the time I get to it though. Between Vesperia and Cadence of Hyrule, I'm tied up for a while anyway

@EvilLucario Take that back, Half Genie Hero is a good game!!

NEStalgia

CanisWolfred

Considering Shantae has always been Zelda/Metroid-esque, while it may be a good game, Half-Genie Hero's approach to levels is a clear departure from the rest of the franchise. It still an example of how a name brand can set up expectations for a certain type of experience, which then amplifies criticism when people are given something that's even slightly different or underwhelming.

With that in mind, the fact that Bloodstained is still well-recieved, and most of its criticism stems from optimization problems, shows that they did pretty well in delivering what was promised.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

BruceCM

Just defeated 4th boss & got double jump... Last couple have been pretty easy, so I expect next to be more difficult

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

EvilLucario

@NEStalgia Personally I've bounced off every Shantae game except Pirate's Curse. I was hoping Half-Genie Hero would be better than the first two games and it was, but not enough for me to keep playing. It's not horrible, but it was still multiple steps down for Pirate's Curse and I quickly moved onto other games.

I don't think Shantae is really for me unfortunately.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Ralizah

@NEStalgia Half-Genie Hero is mediocre, and only becomes decent when you factor in the DLC. It's like they took levels designed for a Mega Man-style platformer in mind and then thought it would be a good idea to add in significant backtracking. But the levels aren't built with that in mind, so they just end up feeling tedious. The world itself doesn't feel connected or organic at all. The funny writing from previous games is almost completely absent. The difficulty is completely unbalanced: the base game is brain-dead easy, whereas the hard mode is so brutally hard that it becomes unfun.

Worst game in the series.

@EvilLucario I don't agree that HGH is better than the first two games. The first Shantae is a bit rough around the edges, but it has fun dungeons and was pretty gorgeous and ambitious considering the hardware it was running on. Risky's Revenge is a fun, if slight, experience.

I do agree that Pirate's Curse is the best entry in the series, though.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

AstralSoul13

I really don't see what all the bellyaching is about. I played this game for abotu 2 hours last night and had zero lag, zero problems. The game played flawlessly. It's not as sharp as PS4 which I knew going in but it plays fine for me. I tried both docked and handheld. The game is great so far! On the topic of Yooka-Laylee, Mighty No 9 and Shantae... Yooka Laylee is great. It's not Banjo-Kazooie levels of greatness but it's a tough game to live up to. Mighty No 9 isn't the worst game of all time as people make it seem. It's not a great one but it could've been worse. And Shantae (never played the original so I can't compare) Half genie Hero was very fun. My only complaint with those 3 are they were just too short.

Anyway, whatever issues are present in Bloodstained on Switch seems like they are being worked on. I can't wait to get back to playing it. It's Castlevania in every way but the name and Castlevania is one of my favorite series so I couldn't be happier!

AstralSoul13

Ralizah

In light of the overwhelming evidence that the Switch port was a rush job that the developers lied about for months (PAX demo issues were due to overheating my bum), I'm likely going to return my copy of the game to BB and just borrow it from someone to play on a different system. They're not getting my money again until they make this right.

Ralizah

PCkid

@NEStalgia

You have to play Rondo of blood, Order of Ecclesia, Aria of sorrow, Portrait of ruin etc... because the design of these games is awesome.
Maybe a question of taste afterall.

@EvilLucario

Waste of time.

PCkid

NEStalgia

@PCkid Truthfully I'm a Castlevania fan, but never played an Iga game, though I of course like the idea of "Metroidvania" design, to me Castlevania is the NES games and SNES games, which Curse of the Moon faithfuly recaptured, though I'm playing the originals again on Switch now that the Castlevania Collection is out. I always wanted to take that stupid castle I wasn't able to complete in Simon's Quest...but man that game feels rougher now than it did then....and it was pretty rough then, too.

NEStalgia

Tsurii

@EvilLucario @Ralizah this is off topic but I keep missing when y'all talk about it but... I really don't agree with XC2 being nigh unplayable in handheld mode, Ralizah. I do believe that I don't have issues with the resolution in that game because I never zoom out the camera all that much unless I'm fighting some bigger stuff and being zoomed in quite a bit on the characters prolly means the game doesn't take quite as big a toll on the hardware. Maybe. You could prolly try it yourself.
Also, I played XCX almost entirely on the gamepad and didn't have issues there either but that's because the English font is ass and I didn't play in English. It's super weird but I've noticed that in lots of games how the English font is, somehow, almost always much smaller than what they do with the german localizations. I think I probably played through X two or three times doing everything and never had issues until I eventually decided to play the game in English and suddenly I sat on my ass with the pad and squinted half the time to read the text.

The first one I played entirely on my TV tho. Which likely isn't the way to go either. I'm a rebel 😂

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter

CanisWolfred

Ew, IGN....

My copy just arrived. I'm gonna play Shantae first, since Shantae is bae, but if I get done with that as quick as Howlongtobeat suggests, I'll be playing Bloodstained within a couple of days.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

NEStalgia

4/10 "Not enough sparkles" -IGN

@PCKid wow, I really have to try hard for your dislike of the game not to influence my playthrough What did you think of Mirror of Fate? I quite enjoyed it, personally, despite the hate it got. Meanwhile Bloodstained seems to be getting a lot of praise.

@Tsurii Agreed on XC2. I have no idea why English fonts would be chosen smaller than German fonts considering German words tend to consist of more letters! That makes no sense.

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic