Forums

Topic: bloodstained: ritual of the night

Posts 401 to 420 of 643

Ralizah

@roadrunner343 Dips have to be both severe and really common for me to care, honestly. Like... BotW at launch was a bit spotty at times, but it didn't really drive me up a wall like it did some people. I've played 20fps games like Shadow of the Colossus and Ocarina of Time just fine.

I guess the bigger issue for you is probably that, with the death of dedicated handhelds, Nintendo's handheld output has transitioned from games designed with portable hardware in mind to downgraded ports of games from more powerful hardware, which leads to performance deficits that some people have a harder time tolerating than others.

I agree, though: people should play this game on whatever device they feel its most enjoyable and comfortable on.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

sdelfin

They sent out a second Kickstarter update today acknowledging the issues and claiming they are prioritising performance improvements for the Switch version and will release them as they're available. That means they released the game in a poor state and knew about it, which makes all the Switch players beta testers. I suspect it also means the issues are pretty widespread even if some people seem to be doing fine.

sdelfin

CurryPowderKeg79

Everybody releases unpolished/unoptimized games now in the age of DLC @sdelfin. So as this is sad and upsetting this is the norm now. I already bought this today, but don't think i'll actually play it until i start and finish some of the games in my backlog. Maybe in a couple of months they'll have it the shape it should of been at launch and i'll play it.

Edit: I ended up selling the Best Buy steel case and the game for a $18 dollar profit.

Edited on by CurryPowderKeg79

(CURRENTLY PLAYING)
ASPHALT 9: LEGENDS

Switch Friend Code: SW-3830-1045-2921

sdelfin

@BacklogBlues Yes. It has been the norm for years, unfortunately. I'm just pointing out that the issues are widespread enough and severe enough for them to feel it necessary to send out the second Kickstarter update of the day(something they don't do much) to address it. This is info that may be of interest to people discussing the Switch version of the game. Your idea to focus your attention on other games sounds like a good strategy. The launch of this game on Switch is going so poorly that you'll likely hear about significant updates in the news. I hope my previous post didn't come across as me defending them. I soured on this project and the publisher's PR people a while ago due to other developments and have already sold my GOG key since I no longer have any desire to play the game.

sdelfin

Toy_Link

Some of the people (such as that Switch Force guy) who are currently claiming the Switch port of Bloodstained is bad because it’s 30 FPS, are the same people who called Wolfenstein II, a port that was 30 FPS instead of 60 FPS, perfect.

Legal threats that have gone nowhere: 1

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Well, I’ve played more, and... I actually regret to inform that... ya, it’s got some framerate issues. It was nothing too severe but it was noticeable, and as most anyone here who knows me understands I’m not one who is very sensitive to frame rate. Playable? Yes. Aggravating? Ya. I only seemed to notice issues when there were multiple enemies on screen, but issues nonetheless.

I think I have figured out what people were talking about with the “Lag” too. When I am intentionally looking to detect it it feels like there is an ever so slight minuscule delay between pressing the button and jumping. A small enough difference that I didn’t notice it until people brought it up and I started looking for intentionally. But now that I noticed it I can’t unnotice it. I just thought that’s was how the jumping mechanics were.

Same kind of thing happened to me with Darksiders Warmastered on Switch. Was playing the game and enjoying it fine, then switched to performance mode, and suddenly I realized my reaction times were way quicker. And every time I go back to the graphics mode I notice the delay. But I didn’t notice it until I switch modes and felt how it felt without it.

In any case, I just wanted to report back with some further findings. And having played the game more, I can definitely see where some of the complaints are coming from. If I notice this stuff, I can pretty much guarantee you will because I think you’re more sensitive than I am. All that said, I’m going to keep playing the game. If it gets too bad I’ll wait for the patch.

But it’s not all bad news, as the developer has pledged to immediately shift resources to address concerns with this version. I just got the backer update in the email about an hour ago. It is nice to at least know they are swiftly answering concerns.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

CanisWolfred

Meanwhile, my copy should arrive by late afternoon tomorrow. I'm debating whether or not I should start it up immediately, or wait for patches. Performance issues I can tolerate, but crashes drive me up the wall. It's arriving alongside Shantae: Half-Genie Hero, though, so I should have something to play in the meantime.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CurryPowderKeg79

No it didn't sound like you were defending them actually quite the opposite @sdelfin. And i hope you don't think i was ether. I'm in my 40's so i've been on the gaming seen since the beginning. And this generation has started to jade/piss me off at the gaming industry. With their digital only games and releasing unfinished games to earn revenue now and then fix it later with dlc patches. But i was really looking forward to this game so i'm still hoping in 3 or 4 months it will be fixed.

Edit: I ended up selling the Best Buy steel case and the game for a $18 dollar profit.

Edited on by CurryPowderKeg79

(CURRENTLY PLAYING)

sdelfin

@BacklogBlues I didn't get the impression you were defending either. I'm with you on the modern practice of releasing broken and/or unfinished games. Luckily, I'm not really the target audience for those often high-profile games. I hope the patches for this version of the game go a long way toward improving the experience for when you play it. From the sound of it, the game itself is pretty good on the other platforms. I wish you luck.

sdelfin

CurryPowderKeg79

Sorry i doubted you @PCkid. This game won't be worth getting for at least a half year after many, many patches.

(CURRENTLY PLAYING)

EvilLucario

@PCkid

> The art direction ( the cats, the general enemies, the textures etc...)

It's Castlevania. What the hell did you expect?

> The level design, like the undergrounds are copy/paste, even the ice part and the sand part are a copy/paste with another texture

You want to complain about that in this game (which isn't even accurate) but ignore the massive copy-pasting of past Igavanias?

> The bosses are ridiculous, you stay in front of them and you mash the button, DONE !

Sure sounds like Castlevania if you grind.

> The feeling to fight only 15 different enemies in total during the entire game.

Now you're reaching.

> The difficulty is set for the "ultra-noobs" and guess what, you have to finish the game in Normal to unlock hard(which is easy in reality) and only when you complete the normal AND the Hard mode then you have access to "nightmare"(which is normal++ in reality)

You can trivialize every Castlevania game. So what? Even Order of Ecclesia broke down on level 1 Hard runs after early-game. Plus, just use the NIGHTMARE cheat code to unlock Hard/Nightmare initially.

> The New Game+ has NO CHALLENGE at all, I killed the 1st boss with 3 button press. Yeah, 3 times and I killed the boss during the NG+. Unacceptable.

Did you even play Aria of Sorrow to Order of Ecclesia on NG+? You compared this game to Aria of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia but did you completely forget those also had NG+ that did the exact same ****ing thing?

> The cinematics are awful and some texts are buggy.

Sure, cutscenes are stiff, but who cares?

> I had several bugs that froze entierely the game and forced me to reboot and loose my progression.
etc...

Sure, that's bad, but maybe you should have invested in a PC than an Xbox One X :^]

Sounds like you either don't remember Igavanias or you're talking out of your ass.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

EvilLucario

The Switch version, on the other hand, that DOES need work. I felt the input lag instantly which is a huge killer against this version, and it being 30fps does hurt quite a lot, but still playable (on PC as a test, I did part of a playthrough and forced a 30fps cap on PC and it didn't really bother me surprisingly. Even Switch is ok enough with 30fps). In handheld, it also seems very soft and doesn't exactly look like 720p if it is at all. (EDIT: After comparing to 720p on PC, I may have to reconsider this, but regardless something about it doesn't look too sharp.)

I have not tried it when docked, and I have not compared it with the Steam version with input lag reduction turned off just yet, but I will have to echo other people in that you should wait for patches to clean things up before jumping in. Or get it on PC. (EDIT: Even with input lag reduction turned off and capping at 30fps on PC, Switch still has more input lag. Oof.)

But the input lag alone is enough to not really recommend the Switch version, which is a shame.

Also just crashed within 30 minutes, when I ran without a single hitch on PC. Yeah, definitely buyer beware if you take the plunge on Switch.

Edited on by EvilLucario

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Ralizah

Hmm. Might hold off on starting this for a while.

I can put up with the occasional framerate hitch and presentation antics, but noticeable input lag annoys the hell out of me.

@EvilLucario A game running at 720p on the Switch in handheld mode should look razor sharp. 720p on your higher-resolution monitor isn't really comparable.

EvilLucario

@Ralizah Then again I did play Xenoblade 2 in handheld like 70% of the time so maybe my eyes got burned in :^]

Just tried it docked and though there is a HUGE downgrade compared to my PC version, it still looks good enough. Just needs to smooth out the input lag and maybe even framerate.

Ralizah

@EvilLucario The lighting difference is pretty drastic, from what I've seen. It obviously doesn't look like a 3DS game, but the gulf in performance is unfortunate.

I don't know how you managed so much handheld Xenoblade 2. I'm not a resolution snob, but that game in handheld mode made me want to stab my eyes out. Which sucks, because, when docked, it's such a beautiful game. I think the sharpening filter actually hurts it more than the resolution dips, though.

EvilLucario

@Ralizah Well, it's probably because I made multiple questionable decisions when playing Xenoblade for the first time. I played Xenoblade 1 entirely on the GamePad, and I tried playing Xenoblade X on the GamePad for the longest time (because I hate playing on TVs) for like 40 hours before getting SUPER annoyed with the small font on both the TV and GamePad and moved it all to my PC setup lol. So maybe after seeing the end of days, I wasn't so bummed over Xenoblade 2's resolution lmao, which at least outputted all fonts at 720p.

Also I was primarily gaming on my 3DS before getting a Switch so I was more "eased" into it, I guess? Who knows lol.

But yeah, Bloodstained's biggest cut is in lighting. Although those that claim this game looks like a 3DS should actually go back and see what a 3DS game REALLY looks like. Samus Returns, as much as I loved it, does not look as impressive as Bloodstained.

Edited on by EvilLucario

Ralizah

@EvilLucario 3DS games can look pretty cool with the 3D turned on. There's a visual appeal there that's impossible to replicate on other platforms.

In 2D, though? They're ugly. And that's fine, I think. Portable gaming isn't really about spectacle for me. Or most other people. There's a reason Uncharted wasn't a huge draw on the Vita, putting aside the change in developer.

In that respect, the lighting issues in Bloodstained's Switch port don't really bother me. It still looks OK, from what I've seen. Certainly better than previous handheld Castlevania titles, which is the only thing I'd really compare it to anyway. Input lag is a big no-no for me, though. Part of the fun of these games is the fluidity of movement. I want to control these characters, not send them suggestions via fax.

Edited on by Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic