Forums

Topic: Switch Controller Discussion

Posts 481 to 500 of 594

NEStalgia

@Samus7Killer Speak for yourself. I disdain the DS4. I disdain it less than the DS3, by miles, but it's still my least favorite controller layout. But, then again, I think XBox has the most ergonomic controllers and Nintendo sits in the middle....so we're polar opposites on ergonomics.

NEStalgia

Samus7Killer

NEStalgia wrote:

@Samus7Killer Speak for yourself. I disdain the DS4. I disdain it less than the DS3, by miles, but it's still my least favorite controller layout. But, then again, I think XBox has the most ergonomic controllers and Nintendo sits in the middle....so we're polar opposites on ergonomics.

opinions. I'm A self admitted Sony Pony and used to their Dual Shocks. Imbalanced Sticks throw me off.. plus Xbox has never appealed to me with their exclusives. Sold my 360 their previous console. Not my thing.
My only complaint on the DS4 is the battery life. Other than that. Controller is fantastic.
BTW. The Switch Pro controller is ok but overpriced since it has no Headphone jack and the DPad is just trash for fighters🍵

Edited on by Samus7Killer

Samus7Killer

blaisedinsd

So, is there no way to power on your switch from the controller?

I figured you can hold the home button and put it to sleep when done playing but when I want to play it I have to get up.....haven't had to do that since gamecube/PS2

SW-7087-5868-6390

electrolite77

@blaisedinsd

From the Pro Controller? That works for me as long as it's in Sleep Mode

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

shadow-wolf

So, question to all you Switch-owning folks:

How does the Joy Con grip feel as a controller? First of all, what is it similar in feel to (PS3 controller, PS4, Xbox One, etc.)? And second, did you personally find it comfortable? It looks like something that would not be comfortable after an hour or so.

shadow-wolf

blaisedinsd

I greatly prefer the pro controller to the joycon grip. Joycons are an exercise in compromise while the pro is an exercise in ergonomics.

SW-7087-5868-6390

NaviAndMii

@shadow-wolf I'm actually really surprised with how good the Grip feels, personally. I can't really say that it feels overly similar to any other controller I've ever used - but, after getting used to it, I find it really rather comfortable and quite natural to use.

There's nothing I don't like about it to be honest - but, if I'm being hyper-critical, there are a few issues that you might have...

• there's no D-Pad
  • some might find that the right face buttons are a little awkwardly positioned compared to a Pro/Xbox/DS4, because they're not offset from the right analog stick (modern controllers usually have them offset from each other to allow you to sweep your thumb comfortably from stick to buttons - with the Grip, the buttons are directly above the stick, so you kind of have to reach for the buttons rather than just sweep your thumb over to them)
  • I've heard that the Grip can feel a little cramped for people with particularly big hands

All in all though, I'm impressed. It took a bit of getting used to at first but, now that I am, I find it to be a really nice little controller. I haven't experienced any discomfort or cramping myself, even over extended play sessions - and I don't have a game that'd fully benefit from a D-Pad, so that hasn't been an issue for me, personally, either. It feels nice and light & comfortable in the hand - and I wouldn't say that they've had to compromise too much to make it work to a very acceptable level...it's not perfect, but I think it's much better than I was expecting

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

NintendoPete

Does anybody else have problems with his right Joycon? My Switch always tells me that the battery of the right joycon is running low even though it was charged all night. If I continue playing it will sometimes show me that it is 3/4 full, then suddenly almost depleted then half full etc. I got this issue just recently. Sometimes in the menu - setting there is no flash symbol next to the right joycon when in dock mode and docked because it suddenly says that the joycon is fully charged. Don't know if this is a Switch or Joycon problem. It changes from fully charged to almost depleted in mere minutes.

NintendoPete

NintendoPete

yeah - several times - after that the switch always says it is fully charged till it drops a couple of minutes later. maybe I should give Nintendo a call - but I don't want to send it in now, because auf Splatoon 2

NintendoPete

MrPaul91

I have to say I've been having problems with both JoyCons and the grip. I've been suffering from pain particularly in my right hand. I don't even use the switch for more than about 40 mins a time. But there is definitely now something wrong with my middle finger on my right hand and starting to get pain in my left hand.

I noticed it most when playing it in tablet mode so I started playing with a joycon in each hand, both in tv and tablet modes, but I still feel it's an issue. I don't have a pro controller, I do like the idea of one for the tv mode but feels a bit impractical for table top mode.

Has anyone else felt this? How have you resolved it?

MrPaul91

My Nintendo: MrPaul

NintendoPete

can't say - 90 % I am playing via tabletop mode. Usually never play handheld mode anymore. During Zelda I used it quite a lot - but never experienced any pain.

NintendoPete

Mr_Humpf

I actually really like the Joy-Cons. I have a Vita so I'm used to small sticks, but I also have a PS4 so I'm familiar with the dual shock too. Playing Zelda, I very rarely use the comfort grip - I just hold a Joy-Con independently in each hand. I really like playing like that - and I played that way comfortably for several hours at the weekend. I do use the comfort grip for Splatoon 2 though and that works really well. I find I hardly ever need to re-orientate the motion controls, which I had to do all the time on Wii U. I might get a pro controller for the d-pad when Pokken Tournament DX comes out, but I'll see how I get along without it first. Anyhow I'm six foot with regular sized hands and I've experienced zero discomfort.

Friend code: SW-4624-7969-8089

Yasaal

Honestly speaking Splatoon in Handheld mode is horrible. Those JoyCons make it so hard to play properly. I either go TableTop or TV mode with most games. Even Zelda gets hard to play bc of the horrible JoyCons...

Currently Watching: Psycho-Pass

Currently Playing: -

My Nintendo: Yasaal | Nintendo Network ID: Yasaal | Twitter:

JohnBlackstar

The JoyCons are ok, but I did struggle to use them while playing LOZ. I found that I was constantly crouching as I moved around because of how easy it was to click the pad.

I ended up purchasing a Pro and have been so much happier. I still use both, but the Pro is my preferred controller. I mainly use my Switch in dock mode though.

JohnBlackstar

bluedogrulez

@MrPaul91 : I got a pair of $7 licensed "gel guards" for the Joy-cons. They are contoured and do an excellent job of eliminating hand pain for me. They are not for use in the Joy-con Grip, though.

Asphalt 9 / Siege Engine FTW

blaisedinsd

My son was just pointing out to me that our right joy con, whether in handheld mode or in the joycon grip, can detatch with out pressing the button. It takes a little force so it's not just sliding off or anything but I don't think this is normal is it?

I don't think there has been any physical damage to it that I am aware of. The bumpers on the joycons never got put on backwards or anything but I did notice those were a bit of a pain to get off.

Hopefully this is not a degenerative issue. If it is I will need to send the thing to Nintendo.

SW-7087-5868-6390

SuperLuigiTime

My experience with using the joy cons on a controller grip has been OK. I usually use this control format when playing MK8 Deluxe with my niece because she prefers to use the Pro controller. The comfort of it attached to the grip is not bad in short bursts (30 mins or less), but I noticed while playing Splatoon 2 earlier today this way after about an hour it began to get a little uncomfortable to hold. I don't really have big hands, but the grip itself is more compact compared to a traditional controller. I actually prefer to use joy cons while in handheld mode when I do use them.

SuperLuigiTime

Switch Friend Code: SW-2814-0794-4500 | 3DS Friend Code: 0619-6949-4255 | Nintendo Network ID: tavorestye92

ICISAZEL

My please to Nintendo, please release a Right Joycon with some manner of D-pad / neo geo style circle pad so i can represent in my fighting games whilst in handheld mode, the standard set-up does not offer enough control for serious fighting games, and tabletop is not always a viable option on a packed tube train.

What say you Nintendo

ICISAZEL

ManTacticl

I personally use the Pro only in docked mode but my 6 year old son likes the joy-cons when in the grip. I don't mind the joycons at all... they work for most games with the exception of SFII... where I need the d-pad, which is missing. I like them (especially the red and blue)... great console from Nintendo!

ManTacticl

shadow-wolf

@NaviAndMii Thanks for your input, and thanks to everyone else for their input as well!

I think the small size of the grip and the lack of offset buttons will probably bother me the most. I guess I would have to try playing something with the grip for an hour or so to fully decide if I could manage to have one as the main controller.

shadow-wolf

Sorry, this topic has been locked.