Forums

Topic: Switch Controller Discussion

Posts 401 to 420 of 594

Ralizah

@NEStalgia @Spoony @JaxonH Thanks for the replies, guys! I need a USB-C to USB-A cord to connect my Switch to the new power bank I just got, and due to my newfound love for tabletop mode (didn't like it initially due to the poor viewing angle afforded by the included kickstand, but with a proper stand to elevate and secure the tablet, I actually prefer it to handheld mode when I have a table or desk in front of me!), I think I want a more traditional pad to use with my Switch, so I'm probably going to end up getting a Nintendo Switch Pro Controller.

I just hope it doesn't have any stupid problems with it! I lucked out with my joycons, thankfully.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Is your power bank USB-C? If one end of the cord is USB-A you lose all benefits of USB-C due to the constraints of the A end. And unfortunately, Switch power draw peaks at around 8.7 Watts, yet USB-A is shown to deliver no more than 7.5W (5V 1.5A), meaning you'll drain while you play. Slower drain, but drain.

With USB-C and a C to C cable you can get 10W (5V 2A) which will charge even when playing Zelda on full brightness. Slowly, but it'll charge. To get a super fast charge you need USB-C Power Delivery (USB-C PD) which can deliver 18W (either 15V 1.2A or 9V 2A). And that's blazing fast charging, even a watt or two more than the official charger.

Unfortunately there's only 3 PD chargers on the market. A $150 12,000mAh Razor, a $100 26,800mAh Anker (just released this PD version, but includes a PD wall charger also), and a $75 RavPower.

However, good USB-C batteries are plentiful. I have a 10,000mAh Iogear USB-C portable battery and it's portable, it charges while I play and it was only $30. Of course I did just order the new Anker PD battery, and just bought an Aukey PD wall charger that gave me 4% charge in 4 minutes while playing Zelda on max settings with Wi-Fi on. Gotta have good charging.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ralizah

@JaxonH I know. I have an Anker PowerCore 20100. From what I've heard, if you play on a lower brightness setting it'll charge the Switch veeeeeeeery slowly while you play. Even if it didn't, though, and only drained slower, I'd be happy with a portable battery that gives me a few more hours of playtime and allows me to charge it while I'm not playing. Considering I also got it with charging cell phones in mind, I think it's $40 well spent.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

NEStalgia

@Ralizah @Spoony @JaxonH Update on the Pro controller after the reports in this thread and one other that some of the D-Pads were actually entering up-inputs, not diagonal inputs. Now that I have MK8D I was able to test with a game that actually properly supports diagonal input specifically (the menus for selecting characters support diagonals apparently) and my D-Pad when it does the "wrong direction" thing is indeed pressing DIAGONAL, not falsely hitting up as I thought, so it's the normal issue for pretty much all D-Pads since the dawn of time. The angle sensitivity when pressing R/L at the very top corner with a sort of upward forcefulness does tend to register diagonal....but with the forces applied even though I hit it on accident occasionally, really ARE the same more or less as hitting it actually diagonally. The longer the "bars" on a d-pad the more likely that is to happen.

So, yes, hitting up, in this case, is a Zelda thing, it prioritizes up when it receives diagonal. Someone complained Puyo Puyo Tetris was unplayable due to this issue, I'm guessing PPT also calls the up routine when it gets diagonal-up. In PPT it's really bad since up is hard-drop I haven't used the pro on PPT since I've only played it handheld, and 4 discrete buttons are superior for a 4-way-control game anyway (the only purpose of a D-Pad is diagonals. Though I still don't understand the love of D-Pads for 8-way controls, they were ALWAYS a compromise from the full size joysticks that came before them )

NEStalgia

GabeGalaxy

I love the Neon Yellow joy cons:) I'll definitely be picking them up with ARMS on June 16 It'll be great to finally have a neon pair of joy cons.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5414-5102-4440

Currently Playing:
Skyrim (SWITCH)
L.A Noire (SWITCH)
Splatoon 2 (SWITCH)
Just DANCE 2018 (SWITCH)

HexagonSun

I wonder what the chances are for third party joycons in the future. Maybe some cheaper options that omit hd rumble and ir sensor. That could really open the door to some interesting designs like the inclusion of a proper d-pad and a more ergonomic grips. I would love joycons that mimic the GameCube's controller layout.

HexagonSun

NaviAndMii

@GabeGalaxy My local games retailer (GAME UK) has a Neon Yellow Pair available for pre-order - but not individual L/R Neon Yellow Joy-Con...admittedly, its early days (neither are currently listed on Amazon UK or Nintendo UK at the moment) but I hope that single Neon Yellow Joy-Con will also be available at launch - not sure I'd want a pair of them... (..I could always buy a pair, then sell one if not I suppose!)

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

GoronBrudda

NaviAndMii wrote:

@GabeGalaxy My local games retailer (GAME UK) has a Neon Yellow Pair available for pre-order - but not individual L/R Neon Yellow Joy-Con...admittedly, its early days (neither are currently listed on Amazon UK or Nintendo UK at the moment) but I hope that single Neon Yellow Joy-Con will also be available at launch - not sure I'd want a pair of them... (..I could always buy a pair, then sell one if not I suppose!)

Yeah. Not so sure I'm in tow minds as to whether I like the yellow ones or not. Can't get them yet where I live either. So far I've only seen them on Amazon Canada and Amazon Spain.
https://www.amazon.ca/Nintendo-Switch-Joy-Neon-Yellow/dp/B06Z... (canada seems to have sold out of all tehir pre-order stock though for the moment)

but the amazon Spain one I saw this morning still seems to be accepting pre-orders (just unfortunately they do not deliver to me where I live)
https://www.amazon.es/Nintendo-Joy-Con-Izquierda-Derecha-Amar...

I expect they'll be coming to all countries sooner or later though, and being as game seems to be doing them now it looks like it's probably gong to be quite soon. So thanks for the link mate, it looks like they've beaten amazon to it in uk, and I hadn't thought to check there.

Edited on by GoronBrudda

GoronBrudda

CyberAvia

I loving using it in it's on the go form but the controller that came with it is very nice. Kinda feels like Gamecube in a way. I just hate playing Zelda with only the joycons. It is weird.

CyberAvia

Twitter:

GabeGalaxy

@GoronBrudda

The neon yellow almost looks green in certain lighting. I pre-ordered min on Amazon.ca. Thanks for the link. I hope to one day collect joy cons so I can just come up with cool colour combinations to suit whatever mood I'm in.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5414-5102-4440

Currently Playing:
Skyrim (SWITCH)
L.A Noire (SWITCH)
Splatoon 2 (SWITCH)
Just DANCE 2018 (SWITCH)

sanqet

It maybe is just me but is anyone else finding the a b x y buttons to small and close together on the joycons I keep on hitting the wrong ones by mistake something I've not done in the last 20 years of gaming at least the pro controller is great and have no problems with the buttons on that

sanqet

3DS Friend Code: 0001-3296-0398

F1R3F1Y

Seriously, still no reasonably priced third party controllers......

Edited on by F1R3F1Y

F1R3F1Y

Stereoman

What do people think about the general build quality of the joy cons and especially the switch main console?
I get mixed feelings and reports , i wonder if they are anecdotal. And if they arent anecdotal and more widespread i wonder why there is no protest? I feel its a big break from quality compared to nintendos past. Sure there were maybe faulty wiis, 3ds, ds and what not, but switch feels abit much?

Please understand i dont do console wars or want to argue about the proof of concept of a nintendo switch. I just contemplate if nintendo quality broke down, and if this is true what the reason is ?

MH4 online thread

3DS Friend Code: 1504-7028-1432

F1R3F1Y

@Stereoman Before purchasing my Switch, the various reports of malfunctioning joy cons and wonky pro controller dad's left me feeling slightly apprehensive about buying one.

However, ever since I have had my Switch, I have experienced zero issues and feel very impressed with the joy cons and their ability to transform into 2 controllers. In addition to this, the pro controller has been very comfortable to use while playing docked. Also, the battery life of all the controllers is amazing.

I'm not disputing the claims of others, just stating that my own experiences have been flawless so far.

F1R3F1Y

TooBarFoo

Is it just me or is anyone else totally sold on using the joycons in split mode. It took a while getting used to now playing with my arms relaxed at my sides just feels so right. I was on the PS4 today for the first time in a while and it felt like I was hunched over what was my favorite controller. I'm sure it not going to be prefect in all cases but for Zelda and MK its my go to. Was planing on picking up a pro controller at some point but after wanting to cut the PS4 controller in half I'm holding off until I come across something that does not work well in split mode.

TooBarFoo

NaviAndMii

@BarFooToo Split Joy-Con is probably the one combination I've yet to fully try out! I've been playing Breath of the Wild either in handheld mode, or with the Joy-Con Grip - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with a single Joy-Con in the Wheel accessory - and SnipperClips with each player using a sideways Joy-Con...I've only really used them split when I'm just browsing the menu/eShop so far - but it seems like a perfectly comfortable combination

I'm just loving how versatile they are! I decided against getting a Pro Controller to try and cut back on the initial launch day costs - I was a little concerned that I may live to regret it knowing that they'd inevitably be sold out everywhere for months on end! ..the preview videos I watched before the Switch launched did little to sell the Joy-Con to me either - they kind of looked a little 'jack-of-all-trades, master of none' - but, having used them for a couple of months, I really think I made the right decision I've actually found the Joy-Con controllers to be jack-of-all-trades, master-of-all-trades! Loving them!

I'm sure I'll find a game where the split controller will be my go-to configuration - there were a few Wii games where I'd favour the Wii Remote/Nun-Chuck combo, I imagine that it's a similar kind of feeling I'm quite looking forward to testing a brand new combination in the upcoming ARMS Global Testpunch event - I believe you're supposed to hold the Joy-Con in a vertical 'thumb-grip' position if you're planning to go the motion-control route...should be interesting!

The only thing missing is a D-Pad - if I find a game in the future that'd really benefit from having one, I might be tempted in investing in a Pro-Controller - but if Nintendo release a D-Pad Left Joy-Con in future, I'd probably be tempted to get one of those instead...I find the Grip to be perfectly comfortable if I want that traditional controller feeling

..still can't see myself using that IR camera for anything though!

@Stereoman I had an issue with my left Joy-Con, so had to send it in for repair - but I'm happy to report that I've experienced zero issues since I've rather clumsily dropped a Joy-Con on the floor a couple of times - and even spilt a drink all over one of them once...but they've (thankfully!) been durable enough to endure my numerous acts of stupidity! I'd say the build quality is up to Nintendo's high standards of the past - but some of the quality control at manufacturing level has probably been a bit sub-standard...if you are unlucky enough to pick-up a faulty one like myself though, Nintendo will fix it (to a high standard) free of charge - not ideal, sure, but not a total disaster either

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Stereoman

Im thinking of getting a joycon solely for multiplayer fun. I think red is a good color or maybe blue?
Not sure yet ...
I think those got built in battery right? Now i was wondering how do i actually charge them? Keep in mind i dont have the console and only want to use them at friends house etc ...

Is there a usb solution or something? Please some tips

MH4 online thread

3DS Friend Code: 1504-7028-1432

Sorry, this topic has been locked.