Forums

Topic: Switch Controller Discussion

Posts 361 to 380 of 594

skywake

I got a Pro Controller last week and haven't disconnected the JoyCon since. Though only having two games (Zelda & Snipperclips) and having "beaten" both of them? I don't have much reason to play the Switch at all anymore. But in any case I played a few hours of Zelda with the Pro Controller over the weekend. It's very comfortable. It takes a little bit to get used to the lower sensitivity of the sticks after using the Joycon (they are bigger). But other than that? It's a great controller.

Not essential for using the Switch but probably the best buy in terms of optional accessories. Second to maybe a case. I'd get a Pro Controller over a second set of Joycon, charge grip, LAN adapter or second dock. I'd probably also get it over a JoyCon with a proper D-Pad if they go that route.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Eric258

@FGPackers Even later response XD, but yeah I'm loving this controller. When I first saw the size of this thing, I was a little worried but I find it so comfortable. Both in hand-held mode, in the grip and separated. I just love having so many options for the controller right out of the gate. I've played over 220 hours with zelda and my hands have not once cramped. Idk if the reason I find it so comfortable is because I'm mostly a handheld gamer? But then again, my hands have cramped when playing the new 3DS XL. Either way, I'm right there with you with loving this controller!

@skywake Is the pro-controller really that good? Still considering it, but I wish I could hold it and test for a while. I was already tempted by the guys at EB games the day I got my switch. Said it was the last one and the guy was really selling it to me. Didn't buy it though. $100 is a bit much. But they did talk me into getting the Zelda Arts and Artifacts Book! (Which thankfully I do not regret what-so-ever!) XD

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2601-9990-4610
Super Mario Run Friend Code: 1391-4403-4742
Fire Emblem Heroes Friend Code: 1332698932
Twitter: @Eric258kip

skywake

@Eric258
$100 is a bit much, I agree. However when you have a $50 JBHiFi giftcard to use and can get them to match Target's price? It's a bit of an easier purchasing decision.

But yeah, it's pretty good. Again I don't think it's an essential purchase at all. But it does make the experience of playing the Switch on the TV that much better. And not just because it's more comfortable than the JoyCon. It's also nice not having to remove the Joycon to play on the TV. If I want to play a game on the TV? I pick up the Pro Controller. If I want to play away from the TV? I pick up the Switch.

WebHead

Pro Controller gotta be the best controller Nintendo has ever made.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

mav-i-am

Finally have an issue with one of my joycons! my daughter dropped a glass on one and scratched it! #damnyounintendo! #irony

Switch games list,

Legend of Zelda BotW, Human resource machine, NBA Playgrounds, Street Fighter 2, Super Bomberman R, Snipperclips, Overcooked, World of Goo.

Nintendo Network ID: mav-i-am | Twitter:

skywake

@dew12333
As someone who has tried all the controllers and isn't really nostalgic about any of them except the SNES? I think people are a little bit too nostalgic about the GC controller. It's good but it's not the best controller ever. I'd personally rank Nintendo's controllers something along the lines of this:

#1. Switch Pro Controller
#2. Wii U Pro Controller
#3. WiiMote + Nunchuck
#4. GC Controller
#5. JoyCon
#6. Wii U GamePad
#7. Wii Classic Controller
#8. SNES
#9. N64
#10. NES

But obviously different kinds of games have different demands. For something like Smash Bros the ones with dual analogue would rank higher and for 2D games ones with a decent D-Pad would rank higher. But overall? I can't think of many games I wouldn't pick the Switch Pro Controller first for.

Edited on by skywake

NEStalgia

Personally I'm loving both the detached joycons (some day swith, some days without the strap grips attached) and the Pro. I've been alternating between them and can't decide which I like better. The ability to play with such different controllers is a big perk of the machine. The Pro is a fantastic controller....most of the design of the 360 controller without the weight and unreliability. But the side by side joycons are such a treat.

NEStalgia

zool

The Game are now selling the pro controller for £85. If anyone fancies being ripped off.

I bought mine there three weeks ago for £65.

Unless inflation is at 30%, who would have thought a company like that would cash in on the shortage at the expense of its customers.

zool

Gameplay_Matters

I switched (pun intended) from PS3 to the new Nintendo and it took me a while to get used to the size of the Joy-Cons. However, I just beat Shovel Knight and Spectre of Torment just by playing in tablet mode. I was a bit hesitant about buying Treasure Trove on NSW because people said you absolutely want to use the Pro controller. But I mean the main point of the NSW is to use it portably.

The Joystick controls are super tight. I just had the problem of accidentally hitting Up+Y when I only wanted to move left/right and use Y. This is not a problem with SoT, only with the original game. So I adjusted to the D-pad (or D-buttons) and it feels very comfortable this way.

Gameplay_Matters

dew12333

@skywake
I like your list and agree on most part, but as much as it's difficult to go on about various iterations of controllers I don't think the wavebird was the same as the standard GameCube controller. It felt more comfortable and worked so well, and it was out 15 years ago. Although I do feel the same about the switch pro controller, it feels like I've been using it for years already.
But like you I like different controllers for different games, especially the wiimote for fps games, it just made games like that more fun in my opinion. Most modern day gamers wouldn't really agree with me there.

But really I would love for the gaming industry to take the controller and chuck it out the window, reinvent it completely I blow our minds with something crazily different, they'd better hurry up I'm not getting younger!

dew12333

Ryu_Niiyama

Does anyone else feel that the Pro controller dpad doesn't read input properly or is too sensitive? This is the first time I've been unhappy with a Nintendo controller. I don't know what to do with this feeling. I'm thinking ice cream.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

skywake

@dew12333
Well the Wavebird is my main point of reference for GC controllers because it's the one I own. So I'm basically talking about the Wavebird when I say the GC controller is not the best controller ever made. And it's nothing really to do with how comfortable it is. It's the unconventional button layout, small D-Pad, small second analogue and Z-trigger as an afterthought.

It's not that it's bad it's just that there are a lot of other Nintendo controllers I'd prefer to use for most games. Which is kinda the point of ranking them, isn't it? Ideally I'd want a controller that'd work as well with something like BotW as it does with Super Mario World. The GC controller seriously fails on the second.

Edited on by skywake

mav-i-am

How can you rate the N64 controller so low?

Seems like the first controller that changed things.

Switch games list,

Legend of Zelda BotW, Human resource machine, NBA Playgrounds, Street Fighter 2, Super Bomberman R, Snipperclips, Overcooked, World of Goo.

mav-i-am

#1. Switch Pro Controller
#2. Wii U Pro Controller
#3. N64
#4. GC Controller
#5. Wii U GamePad
#6. JoyCon
#7. Wii Classic Controller
#8. SNES
#9. WiiMote + Nunchuck
#10. NES

Switch games list,

skywake

mav-i-am wrote:

How can you rate the N64 controller so low?
Seems like the first controller that changed things.

I rank it low because it and the NES are the only two systems which have games I'd rather play using another controller. With more modern controllers as options why hold onto the nostalgia? I can't think of a single N64 game that would not be more enjoyable to play if I was using a different controller. So that's strike one against the N64 controller.

However I'd be happy playing Shovel Knight on a SNES controller. I'd happily play a game like Overwatch or BotW on the WiiMote + Nunchuck. The Wii U Pro Controller is my current go-to controller for PC games and the Switch Pro Controller is clearly better. And if it was an option I'd happily play Rocket League using a Gamecube controller.

So there are no modern games I can think of that might be improved if played with the N64 controller. And to add insult to injury I'd personally rather play N64 games using something other than the N64 controller. So innovative or not I think it's far from the best controller Nintendo has made.

Edited on by skywake

Gamer83

Just bought a Switch Pro Controller today. I'm a big fan of the Dualshock4 and Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers, but this one bests them all. Honestly, it might be the most comfortable controller I've ever used, even for fighting games I could see myself being happy with this as my go-to option.

Gamer83

NEStalgia

@skywake Agreed. N64 controller was "great" because it was the first analog stick controller and first rumble pack controller. Aside from that the M shape was inexplicable, the stick was fragile and self destructive with poor grip, and it had only one stick. It was a revolutionary controller in its day and it can't be faulted for its limitations as first in its day, but that doesn't mean that pretty much every controller that came after it didn't fix its major failings.

NEStalgia

NaviAndMii

The future's bright - the future's....Neon Yellow!

Untitled

Slated for release on 16 June (GAME UK) - currently only available as a pack of 2 by the looks of things (?) - anyone planning on picking up a pair? ..what colours are you hoping for next?

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Sorry, this topic has been locked.