Forums

Topic: Is Nintendo resting on its laurels?

Posts 541 to 543 of 543

skywake

link3710 wrote:

@skywake Interesting methodology, but it heavily favours series that have appeared on more platforms as they get more chances to rank, and ones with multiple entries on a single platform

For a 5min graph illustrating which franchises consistently do well it does the job. Also a game that sells as well as some of these games have get sequels which means there's a bias towards series that have been around for longer. If anything a "real" measure would give more weight to recent success. In any case, of the 6 platforms listed Pikmin was technically on 4. Same as Smash Bros, Animal Crossing and DKC, more than Luigi's Mansion and Splatoon. It has had it's chances

BTW, if I was to count that far I would've put Pikmin as #14 on Wii U and #12 on GC. So it's a stretch to say it's bigger than most of these games I've listed. To be fair, ranking the top 10 does pick up some one hit wonders so the fact that it has done ok a few times says something. Even so it's probably not in the top 15. So the graph is probably fair enough when it comes to Pikmin.

The real crime of this methodology is how low it ranks Pokemon. A series which has more or less only existed in any meaningful sense on portables and gets multiple entries per console generation. Yet my methodology ranks it on par with Smash Bros despite the fact that Pokemon just on 3DS has sold more copies than Smash Bros has across all platforms. Any truly accurate measure of how big each of Nintendo's franchises are would rank Pokemon as #1.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

skywake

@ReaderRagfish
As I said, as a 5min graph it does the trick. My only point was to illustrated how much further down the list games like Pikmin are compared to the big hitters. And also how many of the big hitters Nintendo either has on the Switch already or on the near horizon.

That Wario Land sold better on the GBA than WarioWare and neither have really lit up the sales charts in the same way since? It's an interesting side story. Not the main event.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

link3710

@skywake I mean, as interesting as the graph is, I think the original point of this discussion was that Pikmin (and as you brought up, Warioware/Wario Land and Paper Mario/Mario & Luigi) is one of the top franchises currently unrepresented. And among the three, it's the only one that's not getting a 3DS release this year instead, making the gap even more noticeable. The only other Nintendo involved one that might happen on your list at this point for next year (since M&S won't happen on a non-olympic year and Star Fox is appearing in Starlink) is Tomodachi Life.

Which considering the current lineup for next year, I don't think they'll release Tomodachi Life in competition with Animal Crossing, but maybe if it shows up early in the year and AC is late?

link3710

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.