Forums

Topic: Hollow Knight

Posts 101 to 120 of 190

SleepyduDe420

I love this game, but one thing bothers me to no end and it's White Palace. So after 30 hours I have given up and I'm here to ask if anyone in Nashville, Tn would be willing to beat just white palace for 50 bucks? I know it's scummy but if I can't fight the true boss then I'm never going to play it any farther and definitely not recommend it to anyone ever. To me metroidvania games aren't about platforming. They're more exploration and awesome bosses, which hollow knight has a bunch of. It's just the insane difficulty spike is uncalled for especially when it locks 2 endings from you.

So in short anyone near me want to meet in public and make $50 playing White Palace.

SleepyduDe420

Switch Friend Code: SW-5702-3138-7707 | My Nintendo: SleepyduDe

otterskateboard

@SleepyduDe420
Big tip for White Palace if you’re having trouble is to use the Hiveblood charm. It will allow your health to recharge itself without soul.
Basically means you can keep trying without ever having to spawn back at the bench.
Can be a slightly tedious having to wait for it to charge up before trying again but it allows you to practice individual sections faster.
Best of luck, keep at it

Gameplay_Matters

Bart_T wrote:

@Switchcraft git gud, mate.

I did. I'm at 92 % now but I don't know what's left to do (except Colosseum of Fools #2 and #3).
I only have 1.000 Dream Essence but I can neither find anymore fallen warriors nor whispering roots.

This keeps me from awakening the dream nail, doing the White Palace platforming, getting the second half of Kingsoul charm and eventually Void Heart. Hmm.

Edit: Ok, I did some research. I have now completed the game at 101%. I know there is more to do. I only scratched on the Grimm Troupe content (I had no idea what it was) so I could collect all charms. I am missing at least one mask shard and plenty of Quests. It took me around 35 hours and I ignored guides except for the very tricky parts. My charm combinations were always different as suggested - I seem to be a very passive player with few charged hits on bosses instead of spamming attack. I never successfully used quick slash or spells (except for healing).

Anyway, I had few expectations and I was blown away. I usually get pretty lost in Metroid games and I didn't know where I was going or what I was doing in Hollow Knight either, but the map is so genius that I didn't care because there was always something close by to do or a path to proceed. There are so many secrets, I thought it would be impossible to find them all, but actually I got really close. Amazing game! I cannot recommend this enough! Combat, platforming, exploration, collecting, ... it hits all the right boxes! I want to compare it to BotW! Everybody needs to play this!

Edited on by Gameplay_Matters

Gameplay_Matters

otterskateboard

Woah, the path of pain is tough stuff!
For a game that never really asks for high level platforming to have that hidden away was a surprise.
Took about 2 hours to get through and then I died to the 2 knights.
After a brief expletive filled rant and some spilled tea, I got through it again in about 30 minutes.
Really fun in the end, some of the pogo sequences are super slick.

bluemage1989

@Ralizah @tedko

I have generally enjoyed the classics when it comes to Metroidvanias but in general I struggle to find modern takes on the genre that appeal. I admire them for going for the low price point especially for the amount of content. My issue is I have to be careful with eshop purchases as I have regional issues which mean we don't have recognised debit cards and eshop cards are VERY hard to buy here so what eshop credit I do have tends to be used after much thinking. Thanks for the feedback.

bluemage1989

JayJ

@bluemage1989 You could probably get around that with an account for a country that has digital eshop gift cards that are easy for you to buy. Maybe try sites that accept a third party payment service like paypal.

JayJ

JayJ

I am just wondering, what makes this game such an instant "must have" classic for some people? I have never been the biggest fan of Metroid or Castlevania games although I have enjoyed a few of the highlights for those series.

JayJ

bluemage1989

@JayJ thanks for the advice but tried all such options and no luck have to rely on unreliable imports. It's a long story but basically I'm in a sparsely populated region with complicated recognition and yeah being a gamer is hard!!

bluemage1989

Krull

This game is freaking amazing. I know it's technically from last year, but I'm no PC gamer, so this is my GOTY for 2018 so far. Still only in the early stages, but this is the 2D action-platformer that the Switch has been crying out for.

Admittedly, I haven't got Dead Cells (yet).

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

outlawpdub

I have Hollow Knight on steam and it was super duper. Its great on switch as well but I'm finding it harder. I can't for the life of me beat Trial of a Fool. Has anyone passed it?? How Ya Do It??

outlawpdub

Switch Friend Code: SW-4782-4732-8213 | My Nintendo: outlawpdub

Rich10

Thing I wish I'd known before doing it:

1. Do not die a 2nd time whilst trying to desperately get back to where you'd died the 1st time with over 800 'coins'. Disaster. Game closed. Switch turned off.

Friend code: SW-2475-9405-1512

sr_388

@Rich10 That’s how most of these “Soulslike” games work. It adds to the stress that you’ll lose everything if you die again.

And honestly, 800 is not much. You’ll get it back in no time. I lost around 900 early on and earned it back quickly. By the end of the game you’ll have more money than you could ever need.

sr_388

FaeKnight

I was saving up for the Elegant Key, but didn't have any rancid eggs. I died at a tricky platforming section that also has those annoying flying crystal launching bugs. Respawned, made my way back to that room, and got killed by the first crystal launching bug (the 2nd one is what killed me originally) before I could take out my shade. Now that was annoying since I had almost enough to get the key.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

Rich10

@sr_388 Thanks, thats eased my frustration a bit.

@FaeKnight I feel your pain.

I was actually putting off going back to buy a few map markers with that stash, hoping I'd run into that shop somewhere along the way (green level).

Ah well, you die & learn.

EvilLucario

@Rich10 Hollow Knight is much more forgiving with losing money than Dark Souls. In Dark Souls, souls are always sunk because you always level up or repair equipment. On the other hand, Hollow Knight doesn't really use Geo that much, and there's no constant sink for it like Dark Souls. By lategame Geo is completely useless and the game just throws it at you everywhere.

It's like Team Cherry liked the concept of Dark Souls deaths, but didn't realize why it worked perfectly across the entire game.

That said, it doesn't suck any less when you do lose Geo. I've lost a bunch money on my first run, but just keep persevering and it'll replenish itself easily.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Rich10

Thanks for the background info @EvilLucario, I've not yet played any of the Dark Souls games I purchased in the Steam sales - but now I'm filled with the appropriate levels of dread for when I do.

I had zero expectations of what to expect when I launched Hollow Knight, purchased on the recommendations of the comments section of the game review on this site, as I'm usually more into other genres, but I'm liking it so far.

FaeKnight

There is a bank, if you can find it. But well, that has it's own issues.

FaeKnight

NEStalgia

You know I'm still not getting into this game. I was starting to come around to it....I explored the first map area....started finding a lot of charm to the game. Started to actually think fondly of it. Then I had little to do but defeat a boss (miniboss?) the big thing in the bottom right corner of the first area. That went easy. Ok, I'm getting the hang of this. I had little left to do but spend some money on map stuff, but I was saving 300 or so not sure what to spend it on next (and not realizing you lose it when you die.) Well I went to the area boss, False Knight, and got destroyed. Lost all my money (I didn't know about the shade thing until I died again losing it all.) I put the game down and took a break. I went back to it and tried false knight again, died again. Then again. Then again. Then again. After a long string of expletives I believe I'm permanently done with the game. This is simply not fun.

To be fair, before anyone says "Soulsborne" I didn't know it was "Soulsborne" when I bought it, but that wouldn't have mattered as I haven't played Souls yet (waiting...still...for Switch. I did buy DS2 and 3 on X1 during cheap sales and noodled around in 3 a little and liked what I saw so far, but I'm saving my experience with it to go in order, starting with Switch. I despise Bloodborne but not due to the combat but due to so much else about the game design. I actually like Nioh a lot. I suck at it but somehow it makes me want to try again rather than frustrating me. I never play it (still on the first island) because once I pick it up I'll never put it down until I get it right.) I wrapped up Steamworld Dig 2 and might give Dust, Bastion, or Axiom Verge a deeper try (I loathe the 8 bit styling, but somehow it feels better than most.)

NEStalgia

FaeKnight

Personally, I thought False Knight to be kind of easy. It's Hornet that's where things really ramp up IMO. If you can beat the giant club wielding bugs, then you should know the general tactics to use on False Knight. Dung Defender is also fairly easy. And while it can be difficult to get the timing down, Soul Master isn't too bad. But Hornet, hoo boy is that ratcheting up the difficulty. Timing, pattern recognition, and a solid Charm setup are needed for that fight. Then you have to "get good" even after you have the previous three down.

FaeKnight

Bunkerneath

@NEStalgia If you don't like dying, don't play this game, I think I die at least 30 or more times against each boss. Mainly because I have to do it it over and over so I learn their moves and ticks to show what move they are about to do and what charms I need equipped.

Still loving it even with all the dying

I AM ERROR

Switch Friend Code: SW-5538-4050-1819 | 3DS Friend Code: 1633-4650-1215 | My Nintendo: Bunkerneath | Nintendo Network ID: Bunkerneat | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic