Forums

Topic: Goldeneye 007 Switch

Posts 1 to 20 of 33

CTmatic

....do you know how much money this would make? Yeah, I know you do. I wish I’d stop seeing all the copyright this and that feeds.

I get it, but c’mon, imagine if this was made. Nostalgia flowing on overload! 🙏

So many great memories. Sorry, I randomly saw the article on why our favorite retro games won’t “ever be” on the homepage and it made me mention this.

~ A man chooses. A slave obeys. ~

Magician

Goldeneye 64 is a cesspool of licensing issues. It's the reason why it hasn't been added to Rare Replay on Xbox yet either. The chances of playing it on Switch is a pipe dream.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

jump

Tbh it's aged too much if it's the original N64 one and there's been okayish attempts to make a new versions since but nothing will touch the impact the original had so why bother.

I'd be more interested in Timesplitters 2 HD remaster, which is possible with Dambuster (the successor company to Free Radical which was made up of former Rare employees who worked on Goldeneye) are teasing something Timesplitters related.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

sixrings

There is a working copy of the game made for the 360. And then cancelled when Nintendo wouldn't grant permission to Microsoft to release it. Considering Banjo is in Smash, Ori and the blind forest is on switch, new super luckys tale is on switch, cuphead is on switch, it is not a pipe dream. All Nintendo needs to do is make a deal with Microsoft and then aquire the 007 license. Nintendo is a much bigger company than 1up arcade which managed to secure those deals to get TMNT out.

sixrings

Banjo-

Nintendo lost the publishing rights in 2017 so now to publish or remake the N64 game an agreement between MGM and Microsoft (Rare) would suffice. Rare was making a 360 remake back in the day but Nintendo stopped it and now someone is making an unofficial remake too. Basically, since Nintendo no longer owns the publishing rights, this is not an impossible dream anymore but it wouldn't be available on Switch unless Microsoft agrees. I don't think that Switch is the best platform for shooters anyway.

Banjo-

1UP_MARIO

The best way to play this is with a n64 controller, anything else like a analogue stick on any other controller e.g gamecube, or pro controller is a big no as it’s unplayable.

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

SwitchForce

For Microsoft to not permit a remaster is just dumb and loosing out on easy money for them. This is why Microsoft isn't 1st or even 2nd place but distant 3rd.

SwitchForce

Don

I wish they would make an official sequel to Perfect Dark.

Don

jump

Don wrote:

I wish they would make an official sequel to Perfect Dark.

Well they made a prequel for it. They did do a decent series of books based on Perfect Dark that are worth a read, they were written by Greg Rucka who I'm a big fan of.

Tbh the people that worked on it have all left Rare and it would probably get the reboot treatment like that horrible looking Conker AR game that was canned or Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

sixrings

It wasn't Microsoft that wouldn't permit it. It was Nintendo. I don't see why they can't make an agreement that the game shows up on both xbox and Nintendo. That would probably help the switch version anyways as it would increase the online community for multiplayer

sixrings

Magician

Do we even know who has the game publishing rights for Bond games these days? EA held them for a while in the mid-2000s. Then Activison held it 2010, but eventually let it go. So holds those rights now? Nevermind that MGM Studios owns the rights to the Bond iconography, so any new Bond game would have to get MGM's approval for likeness usage.

Then you have Eon Productions who owns the rights to the Bond theme music.

It's all kind of legalese-awful. Just let the dream die, folks.

Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

BruceCM

Since Activision gave up their rights, @Magician ... The IP for games has reverted to EON & Danjac They obviously could grant those to someone but I'm not sure how likely that is
The bigger developers might not fancy that anymore, while the owners of IP probably don't want to grant rights to smaller ones

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

HobbitGamer

Bloodstone > Goldeneye
There. I said it.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Don

@jump
Perfect Dark Zero is a prequel and it would be nice to have a sequel to the original game. Sadly there probably will not be one anytime soon.

Don

DTMOF84

Lets see how well this ages with the news that we may actually get this game. I personally hope we get a remastered version outside of the N64 Online expansion. With cross play multiplayer, lobbies and dare we say voice chat.

🇺🇸
☕️
🤘🏻

Magician

Hmm, looks as though I might be eating my words on this one. Although I can envision folks firing this up for 15 minutes, get that hit of nostalgia, and then turning it right back off again.

russell-marlow

All this talk about Golden Eye and the cancelled remaster and I'm here wondering about when it's successor series, Time Splitters, is coming back with it's forth installment.

russell-marlow

DTMOF84

russell-marlow wrote:

All this talk about Golden Eye and the cancelled remaster and I'm here wondering about when it's successor series, Time Splitters, is coming back with it's forth installment.

Time Splitters a successor series? How so? Never played it or heard that comparison.

🇺🇸
☕️
🤘🏻

JungleHeart

1UP_MARIO wrote:

The best way to play this is with a n64 controller, anything else like a analogue stick on any other controller e.g gamecube, or pro controller is a big no as it’s unplayable.

I've always wanted to play Goldeneye and I kinda agree with this, I don't think the ProCon or 8bitdos on the Switch will suffice for the definitive experience of the game. I know there's one available but I think it's unreasonable to buy one just for this game - if it ever comes out.

Still, I would be happy to see this added, I missed out on this and it would be wonderful to play it today. But the comments here about licensing issues seem to be spot one. sigh no hope for the game for now haha.

Currently playing: Elden Ring
Tools of choice: Switch and Series X
Works as a freelance writer
https://blog.playerauctions.com/all-posts/

Magician

@DTMFO84

TimeSplitters was made by a handful of developers who opened their own studio after breaking away from Rare after Goldeneye.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Radical_Design

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic