Forums

Topic: Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Posts 861 to 880 of 1,049

Grumblevolcano

With certifications, is the percentage given really the chance of passing or is it actually that everything under 100% is a guaranteed fail?

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

komodo182

I've passed a 49% haha

Switch Friend Code: SW-6361-0099-3716

NotTelevision

This may have come up already, but is a gambit necessary to beat the Death Knight? I foolishly wasted mine after a 1 and a half hour fight and that dude killed off the strongest in my party. I’ll give it another go tomorrow, but I’m curious to hear a good strategy.

NotTelevision

jump

NotTelevision wrote:

This may have come up already, but is a gambit necessary to beat the Death Knight? I foolishly wasted mine after a 1 and a half hour fight and that dude killed off the strongest in my party. I’ll give it another go tomorrow, but I’m curious to hear a good strategy.

It depends on which encounter it is, the earlier ones are intentionally hard. You can do a lot of prep by giving the students stat boosting meals, soften him up with gambit without fear of counter attacks, then try a faster unit with the effective knight combat arts in front of users with long range weapons for linkage and keep in mind you will probably have to sacrifice someone to get him.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

rallydefault

@NotTelevision
Yea, unless you've super grinded your party members' stats and stuff, Death Knight seems impossible at first. Most players (including me) their first time through won't have a party near capable of taking him on the first time you see him.

rallydefault

NotTelevision

@jump @rallydefault Thanks. Yeah it’s the first encounter early in the game. I already took losses in my party so I don’t think I’m going to risk it again with the Death Knight. I tried and two of my party members died.

I’ll probably just kill the rest of the troops on the map and get victory that way. I’ll have time later in the game to get Dark Seals.

My highest party member is a level 17, so that’s not going to cut it.

NotTelevision

jump

NotTelevision wrote:

Yeah it’s the first encounter early in the game. I already took losses in my party so I don’t think I’m going to risk it again with the Death Knight. I tried and two of my party members died.

I’ll probably just kill the rest of the troops on the map and get victory that way. I’ll have time later in the game to get Dark Seals.

My highest party member is a level 17, so that’s not going to cut it.

There is an alternative to beating him where you use someone who has the steal ability (I think it's exclusive to the thief class) and just take the seal off him.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Enigminator

The only enemy that gave me problems was the Silver Clouds final boss.

Enigminator

Heavyarms55

So it's not really clear to me, will this new DLC dropping next month be its own route, or a side story while playing one of the other routes?

I started plowing through my Golden Deer run again, thinking the DLC was a new route, but now it seems like it's something you do during one of the original routes.

Or is it a separate thing altogether, not directly connected to the main story, like how Xenoblade handled the Torna expansion?

Do we even know?

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

LzWinky

It’s not entirely clear. I think it seems to take place in the first half and supplements the path you’re on.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Heavyarms55

If that's the case then I'm going to stop and wait while I'm still in the first half.

Grumblevolcano

@LzWinky @Heavyarms55 A screenshot on the eshop shows what the main menu looks like after the DLC is available (Continue would be above New Game as normal):

• New Game
  • Extras
  • Nintendo eShop
  • Side Story
  • Copy
  • Delete

So the Side Story is completely separate menu option.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

rallydefault

It definitely is not it's own path, from what I've seen. It's gonna supplement by providing another little area to explore, a few more students, and a few more events as you progress through any of the regular paths.

rallydefault

Heavyarms55

@Grumblevolcano That does seem to be the case from what others have said. Though it does seem like the new characters can be gotten in the main story, after you beat the side story, but presumably before the time skip. So I'm still suspending my current playthrough until after the DLC is out and I beat it.

Thanks for the info!

Dezzy

Finally got round to properly playing this and I'm really enjoying the gameplay side of it. It takes a while to get going, but all of the different systems really come together nicely after a few hours. The story is very engaging too.

The only thing I really don't like about this game is the graphics, specifically the battle maps. The monastery exploration and character models both look great. It's just the maps. I genuinely think about 70% of them are unpleasant to look at. They have really bad textures, a noticeable lack of detail, and in some cases almost no actual lighting is being used at all (perhaps because they thought that fit better with the cell-shaded characters)

I'm generally not a graphics person either, so I feel like a game has to be especially ugly for me to even take notice. Obviously Nintendo don't focus on advanced graphical capability with their consoles, which I'm totally fine with it. But they generally design their games based on that understanding so it doesn't highlight the shortcomings. Imagine a 3D Mario, 3D Zelda or Xenoblade game having a shot like this in it. It just wouldn't happen:

Untitled

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Heavyarms55

@Dezzy While I flat out don't care about the graphics and consider FE3H one of the absolute best games on Switch, I don't deny that from a purely visually point of view, the game doesn't look great. You can go to the shops in the market place and the things in the baskets are so glaringly a flat texture it's almost enough to make me wonder if it was deliberately lazy. Ground textures, like the screenshot here, almost look like N64 or from an early 3DS title. And honestly I think it's because Intelligent Systems really isn't, or perhaps wasn't really used to making games in HD. The lip syncing can be pretty awful too. I've actually noticed times where the character wasn't actually moving their mouth.

One might say "For someone saying he doesn't care about the graphics, you sure nitpick and critique" and that'd be a fair point. But it's that I love the game so much for it's gameplay, music, characters and story that I love it despite its visual flaws. I don't care, but I do notice.

It's just that I love everything else about the game so much! I love training my characters however I want, equipping almost any weapon to almost any class. The game has all the amazing character development and interesting stories that I have come to love from a series I've played since I was younger than the students I now teach.

But I can't deny, FE3H does very much have some ugly visuals at times.

NotTelevision

I guess it’s too late for them to patch it out, but the monastery framerate and your character clipping through doors, pillars, and dogs are distracting. There are also gates that appear closed and magically aren’t when you get closer. It definitely shows a lack of polish there, but other times the game really impressed me with its presentation.

Atlus games also have a sort of low budget/ lack of visual depth in many of these areas, but that kind of adds to the charm in their case. Can’t say the same with Three Houses.

Still a fantastic game despite those little nitpicks.

Edited on by NotTelevision

NotTelevision

Dezzy

Heavyarms55 wrote:

And honestly I think it's because Intelligent Systems really isn't, or perhaps wasn't really used to making games in HD.

Yep. Probably the same thing that's happened with Pokemon. The devs just didn't anticipate the bigger workload you have in HD.

The solution in both cases is the same though. Design the game around the problem so it doesn't show up as much. In Pokemon they should've scrapped the wild area, until they were ready to make an open-world section that's up to the Zelda/Xenoblade standard.

In this game they should've ditched the huge 3D maps that act as both the top-down map as well as the zoomed-in battle map. They should've gone with the Awakening approach and had 2 different maps. 1 for a fixed top-down view, and then a kind of generic 3D location used for all the battle animations. That's what Awakening did. No matter where you were on the map, it used the same 3D area for the battle animations (occasionally adding 2 alternatives for more complex maps). That approach would've allowed them to polish the visuals a lot more, and frankly makes only a small difference to the game.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic