Forums

Topic: Final Fantasy XV

Posts 121 to 140 of 205

AlexSora89

Anyone knows if there are reviews - for the Switch version at least - yet? That launch discount isn't gonna stay there forever.

@GrailUK
I wouldn't bank on it honestly, but who knows.

I don't quite have lots o' loot, because I'm from the Boot.

https://www.nintendolife.com/super-mario-maker/users/AlexSora89
(Currently seeking Stars.)

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6287-1558 | Nintendo Network ID: AlexSora89

GrailUK

@AlexSora89 Well it's 40% off on the eshop so I think I'll just grab it!

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

AlexSora89

@GrailUK
My reply was about your question regarding the possibility of a physical copy.
This game - I mean this port - got its start on mobile after all, and who ever even heard of mobile phone game cartridges?
This makes me nostalgic for my good ol' N-Gage phone, may it rest in peace

GrailUK

@AlexSora89 Yeah, I understood your reply buddy

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

AlexSora89

@GrailUK
Nevermind! Just don't hold your breath for a Final Fantasy cartridge - as far as gaming industry thaws go, what we got out of Square in the last Direct was already way more than what we could possibly ever predict.

Eel

Haha I installed the demo of the windows version on the family computer just to see how it ran. To get something somewhat playable I had to go full low settings, the lowest screen resolution, and 50% game resolution on top of that. And it still played like trash.

At that point, the pocket version looks like a modern gaming master piece in comparison.

Quite surprisingly the combat gameplay is a lot more identical between both versions than I expected it to be.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

JaxonH

Ya, I know its trimmed down but dang, if FFXV original console release never existed, this would be a perfectly fine Octopath Traveller style throwback, only with AAA voice acting for the entire game and a legit storyline.

I'm very pleased with how fun this game is. Still doesn't compare with the original but, it comes respectably close to maintaining the essense of the game.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

FragRed

I just bought and downloaded the game and every time I try to play it, it gets past the Nintendo Switch screen all games have and then nothing. It’s just blank. Anyone else had this problem? I hope I don’t need to delete it and download it again.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

JaxonH

@FragRed
Hm... Idk. Perhaps try starting it in airplane mode? Could be an online check bug left over from the mobile version?

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

EvilLucario

This game is #1 on the US eShop. Goes to show people really wanting any Final Fantasy. Can't wait to see how the other Final Fantasy games will fare!

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Eel

Well you make that sound like this final fantasy is some sort of poor man's shameful last resort.

I tells ya it's not as bad as people make it seem, I've even grown to like the character models.

This version's got enough legs to stand on. About 8.

(And also the big initial discount probably means everyone who was interested bought it so it'll likely drop off the charts quickly after the discount is over)

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

zionich

I had to get it at 40% off though the discount is the main reason I grabbed it. For some reason FFXV has been the first Final Fantasy that I just felt meh about. Adding the fact that my buddy really didnt have grate things to say about the base story.

3DS FC : 4914-6709-6917
Xbox Live : Zionich
PS4: Zionich
Switch FC: SW-1208-7413-3716

FragRed

@JaxonH Thanks. Tried it, didn't work. So I redownloaded the game and still nothing. Just a black screen. Dunno if contacting Nintendo will make any difference but may have to try.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Eel

That's really weird, I've never had that happen with this or any other switch game.

Are you downloading it to the system memory or an SD card? Do you have other digital games?

Bloop.

FragRed

@Yosheel It was downloaded to my SD card. I tried Okami HD immediately afterwards and it worked no problem, and that is also on my SD card. FFXV gets past the screen with the Nintendo Switch logo in bottom right but then never boots into anything, just remains black. No sound, nothing.

NEStalgia

@FragRed Just go back to the home screen and launch it again. That happened to me the first time I launched it and that seemed to fix it for subsequent launches.

IMO I think ti's a bug in the current Switch firmware. I've noticed accessing the EShop on either of my Switches, the first time I launch it the password screen comes up but I can't enter the text box or interact with it. If I go back to the desktop and launch it again, it comes up normally . This happens every time currently. Similar behavior from FFXVP.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@JaxonH I still have pretty mixed feelings about this game as a whole. I both love it and don't love it. I played so far the exact portion of story I started into in Royal so far. On one hand I love the aesthetics feeling like FF7, 8, 9. It feels "right". And I'm impressed at how they condensed the actual locations from the world (eg the first hunt across from the gas station) into a meaningful approximation here, and how the main game's battle system translates well here with warp strikes and such (or maybe that says something bad about the main game's battle system?)

But what I don't like is that you can feel how condensed it is. Part of it is the narrative structure of the main game is such that you don't experience it so much through exposition like older FFs but by your presence in the world's locales. Feeling the distances, as it turns out, affects how you feel the gravity of the narrative. What represents a good hour in the main game of exploring, feeling out where you are, getting surprised by monster battles, finding places, is mere minutes of "mash here, walk around that rock, snap to cutscene." And they used the graphics of the main version to tell some of the story with subtle gesture and facial animation so the characters having to push the car in the beginning, feels very rote, by the numbers, uneventful in Pocket while that whole scene generates a kind of wry chuckle as you watch in the full version.

It's kind of fast tracked on rails FFXIII style. Yet certain things feel "more FF" than the weird Final Fantasy: Route 66 Edition that is Royal.

It's not bad, and the remapping of the 3D game to 2D is impressive to say the least, but it's also a little hollow feeling. Less like the 3DS version of DQXI that's literally the same game with different art, and more like a streamlined Cliff Notes version. Personally I still think it works better as a way to revisit XV a second time without wasting 100 hours again than it is for a first playthrough, or for someone that really hates the 3D action FF. (Honestly I'm still torn on Royal as well, but at least it's better than XIII? )

NEStalgia

EvilLucario

I have XV on PC and I've been playing it a bit, but so far the combat just feels sorta easily abusable. I'll need to play more, but while it certainly looks beautiful and I have nothing to say about the story yet, the combat isn't yet clicking with me.

Ah well.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Eel

I was honestly a bit shocked when I played the PC demo and found out the main game was also "hold button to attack". I totally thought that was a secondary effect of the mobile origins of this version.

Even more since on the main version evading works the same as attacking, while here you can't just stay in evade mode all the time. You actually need to roll/warp out of danger and press the button to evade/parry when prompted.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

NEStalgia

@Yosheel True, but in the main version spacial awareness is part of the gameplay with dodging, preparing to strike and "spiderman-ing" to objects in the area. But yeah, if you strip back the pretty visuals the combat is kind of Diablo-ish in a sense, so the mobile edition isn't stripping combat back much. It's not praise for the mobile version, it's condemnation for the full version

13 had great combat, horrendous presentation and pacing. 15 has great presentation and fun but shallow combat not worth of a true RPG...it's more of an action game.

NEStalgia

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.