Forums

Topic: Final Fantasy XV

Posts 101 to 120 of 205

JaxonH

I have the full game and got to chapter 9, but then dropped it.

I dont care about the DLC being in the Pocket Version. If I want to experience that, Ill fire up the original game or if its just a story bit Im missing out on, I'll watch it on YT.

I can really appreciate being able to experience Final Fantasy XV on Switch, even if it's more of a dialed back, handheld style version of the game.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Eel

According to the wiki some dlc lines were retrofitted into the “base” pocket version. Though I’m not sure how extensive it is.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Dezzy

@JaxonH

It's not Dear Esther. You can't enjoy it the same by just watching on youtube. If you could, you might as well just watch the whole thing on youtube.

All of the DLC are very gameplay heavy. Comrades is especially gameplay heavy. You couldn't get any value from that at all by just watching it, because it's very much about getting the sense of desperation and ruin that came over the world while Noctis was away. You get that from exploring and seeing how all the locations changed and talking to all the people.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

JaxonH

@Dezzy
Be that as it may, if the argument is you're missing story from the DLC, story can be watched.

And watching never gives the same experience as actually playing it out, but it does convey the story. So if there's something vitally important to know or find out, it can definitely tie up those loose ends well enough.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Dezzy

@JaxonH

But my argument is that story is more than just what is told through dialogue.

That's why video games are the best storytelling medium and are not just equivalent to books or films. Free exploration of a 3D world itself contains subliminal storytelling that you can't get in other mediums.

JaxonH

@Dezzy
I understand that.

But given the fact it's simply not available to play, watching it will do just fine as an alternative.

Dezzy

@JaxonH

You couldn't really watch Comrades though. It's like 10 hours long and involves very little dialogue but a lot of gameplay. It wouldn't be remotely interesting to watch. (whereas it's vaguely enjoyable to play, if only for the good worldbuilding)

Edited on by Dezzy

JaxonH

@Dezzy
Then I wouldnt watch it. Id watch the story bits in a condensed YT video.

At the end of the day, if someone says "but the DLC has super important story" then you can watch the story, one way or another. Even if its reading a Wikipedia page, the story can be obtained.

Grumblevolcano

One thing that hasn't been considered, we don't know for sure we're only getting the Pocket Edition. It's obvious that the Pocket Edition announcement was going to be in the Direct but it was released on XB1 and PS4 the same day it was announced so when the Direct was delayed the announcement wasn't because of the PS4 and XB1 versions.

Don't get too excited but it could've been that they planned to announce both versions for Switch in the Direct and say for example release the normal version after all the DLC came out. Why would they release both versions on the Switch? Well you can ask yourself why did they release the Pocket Edition on PS4 and XB1.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Dezzy

@Grumblevolcano

I wrote off the chance of a proper FFXV port when I heard about how much trouble they'd been having with the DQ11 port.
DQ11 is simpler, a bit less graphically advanced and written in Unreal engine, which runs on Switch, and they're still having problems with it. I think we can write off a FFXV port.

Eel

Welp, I managed to get a nice discount by adding my gold coins. So it was actually cheaper than the mobile version.

Nice.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

JaxonH

This game looks fantastic! Much better than I was expecting. It's the real deal. All of this is so familiar just like the game I played when the original release came out.

Look at the combat at 12 minutes and 30 seconds. The combat actually looks better in this game then the original release! We get a nice isometric view now instead of that crazy camera that would jitter all over the place

JaxonH

@subpopz
I mean, Im not gonna pretend the original version isn't better. I've now played both. The modern graphics go a long ways.

But Im also not going to pretend this game here isn't downright amazing as a Switch release (not so much on other consoles).

It is the same game, you could probably run them side by side with identical cutscenes and quests. It's condensed, so main story quests only, so it's a more direct experience.

At the end of the day, FFXV full version is going to be better, at the same time its not gonna be on Switch and thus only playable on a TV.

Idk, I'd buy em both

Eel

Ok this was weird, during the fight with Arachne, near the end, both Gladio and Ignis needed rescuing right next to each other (like seriously guys, evade! I had to rescue Ignis like 20 times).

So ok, I was quick and reacued both. Usually when you rescue an ally the screen zooms in and then out when they're safe, but this time the screen stayed zoomed in!

It was like that until I left the caves.

In other news, I kinda wish the map didn't spoil everything. It tells where to go, where's all the ingredients, what's a boss arena, etc.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

JaxonH

Art style is growing on me.

I just found a terrific write up on this game, complete with side by side video comparison with the original.

Turns out they actually like this one more. Seems more traditional Final Fantasy, before there was a (very bland, imo) open world to run around in.

And that's awesome. I love traditional story focused FF

https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-xv-pocket-edition-keeps-thin...

FullbringIchigo

@JaxonH it certainly is a lot more story focused than the original one was

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Eel

I does feel like a traditional final fantasy. Just with a different combat style, and without a world map to walk around in.

Apparently there's also like 13 or so royal tombs to find. Not sure if you find them all by playing through the game nornally, or if they're rewards for exploration, but so far I've found a few optional fights and rewards.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Tiefseemiez

I absolutely hate how their mouths don't move. It makes the characters seem like dead puppets (the artstyle further supports that). Apart from that the game looks really well-made and I am intrigued by the possibility of trying out a Final Fantasy game this way. Never played a game of the series before. Not sure if I'd rather wait for the HD remasters, but am tempted by the price right now...

Never want to come down, never want to put my feet back down on the ground.

Eel

If you’re gonna buy this game I’d recommend buying it while it costs less than the mobile version...

I do wish they moved their mouths, but I guess they at least gave them an appropriate expression...

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

GrailUK

Does anyone know if this is getting a physical release?

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.