Forums

Topic: Final Fantasy VII, IX, X, X-2 and XII - Now with 80% more FF VIII

Posts 81 to 100 of 1,768

EvilLucario

@Dezzy Interesting how even FFVIII is higher than FFIV in that poll. Though to be fair, while FFIV is much more revered and influential overall, it's also very aged and its plot isn't exactly the most well-written with a lot of forced narrative moments. Plus, the gameplay is a lot more simple than even FFVIII's.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

bluemage1989

@Dezzy @EvilLucario i honestly could decide which I like more between FF7 and FF9 myself because they both appeal to me for different reasons but I love both. I have met/seen people who hate them though and that's cool you know like what you want and all that (to be fair they probably weren't fans of the genre anyways) but looking at that list FF8 ranks at number six so decisive as it may be its still pretty popular with the jrpg crowd.

Looking forward to FF12 never played it before but it looks awesome. I hear the battle system is pretty out there don't know if that's a good thing or not.

bluemage1989

Dezzy

@EvilLucario

I think because people just love the high production values in the PS1 games. Those pre-rendered backgrounds still look great today. Especially if you play the games on a smaller screen like a Vita so the low-resolution isn't an issue.

Also more people have played the more recent games.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Anti-Matter

@EvilLucario
FF IV was still Pretty Hard for me.
I still haven't finished yet my FF IV NDS version due to Very Slow Leveling system , Very Tough enemies at the beginning until The end & Very little money i got after Battles.

Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

@bluemage1989
I can assure you if FF XII was really Great in term of gameplay.
FF XII using Gambit system, kinda like Kingdom Hearts but Not Action RPG. You can swap the Leader and you can ask your members to do specific Commands during in Battle area. Your Uncontrolled member will do the commands from their Gambit slot, like LABO. You can paired the Subject (You, your members, enemies, etc) with specific Commands (Attack, some Specific Magics, Item, Skills, etc).
For example: if i link 1st Gambit slot (i choose Any foes Nearby) with Attack, everytime the Leader / your members see any enemies, they will Automatically release their weapons and start to attack them.
Another example: if i link 2nd Gambit Slot with Ally HP < 50% with Cure, the character with that Gambit Slot will cast Cure Automatically and heal any members who have HP below than 50% of their MAX HP.

In other words, the battle system of FF XII also similar with The Snack World Trejares (3DS/Switch)

Pretty handiful, eh ?

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

darkfenrir

Just think of FFXII as you programming your team party, I suppose.

darkfenrir

Anti-Matter

Untitled
Cover box confirmed.
MSRP = $ 49.99 according to nintendoeverything.

Anti-Matter

Grumblevolcano

@DoomTurtle So a similar problem to the Halo 2 Breaking Benjamin situation then? When Halo 2 was remastered for Master Chief Collection, a few songs including Breaking Benjamin's Blow Me Away had to be replaced due to licensing.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

FullbringIchigo

@DoomTurtle would that be Eyes on Me by any chance?

if so i completely get why it's not being released yet because that song is a key part of the games narative

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

bluemage1989

@Anti-Matter that Gambit system sounds pretty good I'm sure it'll be easy to pick up and sounds fun. What is the game like out of the battles??

bluemage1989

FaeKnight

bluemage1989 wrote:

@Anti-Matter that Gambit system sounds pretty good I'm sure it'll be easy to pick up and sounds fun. What is the game like out of the battles??

The Gambit system is kind of needed. While it's not bad initially, battles end up becoming too fast paced for manual control beyond troubleshooting. And as you get more trigger conditions and actions for the Gambit system, you end up needing less and less manual input outside of boss fights. Eventually you reach a point where you have a gambit setup that's so solid the AI can handle a boss fight too unless there's a sudden TPK.

At the end, I had a setup where one person (wearing a bubble belt I think) would get buffed with Protect, Shell, and doubling of hit points, and higher damage. They would then taunt any untaunted enemy so they are the only one being attacked. The others would attack the 'tank's target or heal the 'tank'. If someone else got hurt bad enough (down by 25%) the 'tank' would heal them. And each person was set to counter status ailments or revive one specific person as a top priority. Oh, and using Mana Charge if MP was less then 10% as #1 priority.

That setup meant they could slog though any fight, even the final boss. It might take a while, but they could do it pretty safely. This was a late game gambit setup though, so not something you can do for a while in the game. Even so I literally walked away from the game for several hours at one point while the party fought an endless wave of enemies on their own to level up about half way through the game. ANd outside of bosses I rarely had to actually issue any battle commands once gambits became available.

FF13's auto combat system is much maligned, but it's basically a streamlined version of FF12's gambit system which people praise.

Edited on by FaeKnight

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

Anti-Matter

@bluemage1989
Well...
According to my experience from PS2 version ( I had played & finished FF XII 3 times ! Japan, USA & International version. Well, of course, when i still used pirated copies long time ago) when you enter any town, ONLY Vaan showed on the screen. But when you enter Battle Zone, the leader & your two members showed up with their weapons.

Outside the battles, talking about story, you will find a lot of Very Hard vocabularies from their conversations, like speech from Noble class or exactly like Xenoblade 2. The game was heavily talked about Political issues, wars between two kingdoms, exploitation of Myst, Betrayal, etc. Speaking about betrayal, there was Cid there. But, unlike previous version Cid in FF XII = Bad guy.

The interesting part is the Summon, i mean the Espers. The Espers are represent their Zodiac. There are 13 Espers on FF XII, you will get 6 Main Espers from the storyline, the others you must find by yourself (Quest). Unlike previous Final Fantasy, there is NO Shiva / Ifrit / Bahamut / etc (Though, Shiva, Tonberry, etc was an Airshio names. Bahamut in FF XII = The Final place aka Fortress of Bahamut). The Espers are :
1. Aries = Belias. Fire elemental
2. Taurus = Chaos. Wind elemental
3. Gemini = Zalera. Death elemental
4. Cancer = Zeromus. Balance Attack
5. Leo = Hashmalim. Earth elemental
6. Virgo = Ultima. Holy elemental
7. Libra = Exodus (ExDeath). Meteor Attack
8. Scorpio = CuCuhlainn. Venom elemental
9. Sagittarius = Semhazai. Soul Attack
10. Capricorn = Adrammelech. Lightning elemental
11. Aquarius = Famfrit. Water elemental
12. Pisces = Mateus. Ice elemental
13. Ophiucus = Zodiark (Zodiac). Dark elemental
Espers are tied to one person, anyone can summon Espers. But when you give the Espers to specific character, it will tied PERMANENTLY with those character, so choose wisely. When you summon the Esper, only Caster & Esper appear on the screen, the other two member will be disappeared until the Esper dismissed. Espers don't have long time like FF X, so after 2 - 3 minutes, Espers will unleashed their Overdrive to nearby enemies / will dismissed by themself. To call Esper, there are 3 different kind of Esper's Rank: 1 / 2 / 3. Each rank represent how many Myst bar you must use. Your Myst meter divided into 3 bars. If the Espers are weak (Rank 1), it will consume 1 Full bar, if the Espers are Strong (Rank 3), it will consume 3 Full Bars to summon them. Call them wisely because it took very long to refill the Myst bar by doing attacks during Battle.

You can do Break Damage Limit like FF X. Anyone can do that, but FF XII doesn't have Very Crazy Break Damage Limit like on FF X (Oblivion, Delta Attack, Passado), so you just rely on your Normal Break Damage Limit (10,000 - 20,000) to beat enemies

When you in the game, be careful with your surrounding. There are A Lot of Non Friendly enemies out there. You can tell them by the Life bar color when they are still normal. Green = Tame, Orange = Non Friendly. Sometimes some enemies are NOT displayed on the radar, they can suddenly appear in front of you, especially Zombies at Nabreus Deadland / Necrohol of Nabudis. You can see the enemies swarming around, No Random Battle, so watch out for some tough enemies if you Under leveled. You Cannot escape from Battle like older FF when enemies attacking you. You just Only can RUN (the ESCAPING words will appear when you hold R button) from enemies if you are not interested to engage in Battle.

Oopsie, too much spoilers. I think you should give a try for FF XII.

Anti-Matter

Zuljaras

No one even talks about FF 1, 2 and 3 anymore ;( They are one of my favorites.

The basic fantasy quest and hunting the crystals … I never played the newer FF games but I will surely try them on the Switch.

Dezzy

ReaderRagfish wrote:

Dezzy wrote:

RPGSite did a huge poll earlier this year which got 10,000 people voting ( https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/6530-here-s-the-final-fantasy... ). The order was:

1.FF7
2.FF9
3.FF6
4.FF10
5.FF15
6.FF8
7.FF14
8.FF12
9.FF4
10.FF13

How can a FF ranking list include 8 and 13 but leave out 5? Final Fantasy fans are weird.

Bear in mind, FF5 is one of the least played in the series. FF8 and FF13 both sold over 7 million copies. FF5 sold about 2 million. It's also had far fewer ports than FF4 has.
So there's a bias in favour of more recent games (because everyone who played FF4 back in the day has probably played FFXV, whereas the reverse isn't true because a lot of people growing up now aren't interested in going back and playing ugly classics) and there's a bias in favour of everything after (and including) FF7 because the average audience size more than doubled because of that 1 game.
I'd also say that the old games are less likely to be people's favourites unless you played them at the time, because if you go back and play the old games for the first time today, a lot of the technical limitations can be annoying. Like I really hate only being able to walk in 4 directions in those old games (which only Chrono Trigger fixed, none of the FF games did)

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Eel

Popularity contests aren't quality contests.

Don't feel like it invalidates your opinions or something like that.

I'd say FFV and FFVIII for on opposite ends of the FF spectrum. On one side you have the "fun loving, self referential" games side that doesn't take itself super seriously, and on the other you have the "super serious teen drama" games.

All games slide around in that scale at different points of their story, but FFV stays in the left side of it more than other games in the series.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

JaxonH

I've only actually completed FFX, but I've played every single one on the list, some more than others (except for Chocobo's Dungeon and Crystal Chronicles, never played those).

I'd say FFX
FFXII
FFXV
FFVII
FFIX
FFX-2

I confess 7 and 9 may be better games, it's just hard for me to say I enjoyed what I played of them more than what I enjoyed playing the other games, mainly due to how poorly PS1 games have aged.

Untitled

Final Fantasy XII Switch Amazon.com

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

BenGrimm

I’ve only played III on the DS which I liked a lot, which of these games is closest to that one? Not really an expert on FF games.

BenGrimm

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic